Nowadays, it is easy for anybody with a digital video camera to make great-looking videos. You don’t need to spend thousands of dollars on a camera to do it.
There is one area of film-making, though, that can label a film as amateurish as soon as it starts. Hand-held camera work has its place, but it needs to be used carefully and in the right way. A truly professional film features smooth and steady footage.
The solution is to buy a camera slider to help keep your camera steady and take it where you want to go. It can be hard to separate the good sliders from the bad, so we’ve put together this list of the top 10 best camera sliders in 2019.
What to Look for in a Camera Slider
Let’s start by talking about what to look for in a camera slider. If you’ve never used one before, you may not be sure of which qualities make a slider worth buying. Here is something to consider:
- The first thing to take into consideration is the construction of your camera slider. There are two basic choices:
- Drylin construction uses rails that slide next to each other with little friction, causing the camera to move smoothly.
- Roller bearing construction mounts the camera on rollers that glide across the rails very smoothly.
As a rule, roller bearings are more expensive than Drylin construction. If cost is your primary concern, then Drylin is probably fine. But if you want a truly professional glide, invest in roller bearings for the best results.
- Motor-driven sliders are in another category, but also worth exploring. They’re more expensive than the non-motorized options.
- You’ll also need to consider the make of camera you intend to use with your slider before you purchase. Some sliders work better with certain models than others.
- The weight of your slider may be important if you plan to travel with it or shoot on location. Small sliders can sometimes weigh less than five pounds, while large ones can weigh in at 20 pounds or more.
- Finally, the price of the slider you are considering may help make your decision for you. Only you know how much you are willing and able to spend.
Make sure to keep all of these points in mind as you read through our list. And now, without further ado, here is our list of the top 10 best camera sliders in 2019.
Best Camera Sliders in 2019
10. Neewer Portable FilmMaker System
Coming in at #10 on our list is the Neewer Portable FilmMaker System with Camera/Camcorder Mount Slider, Soft Rubber Shoulder Pad and Dual-hand Handgrip For All DSLR Video Cameras and DV Camcorders. Here’s what we like about it.
- Handheld unit comes with shoulder bracket for easy portability.
- Lightweight design (weighs in at 3.6 pounds) makes this unit easy to carry.
- Provides smooth glide at an affordable price.
These are all great qualities, but there are a few downsides to keep in mind:
- The fact that the frame is lightweight also means that it’s not as sturdy as the frames on some more expensive models.
- The handles are difficult to adjust and may require the use of plyers.
- You may need to use a counterweight to get a smooth shot.
On the whole, this is a highly affordable model that offers decent quality for the price.
9. Grip Gear’s Movie Maker Set – Electronic Sliding Track System with Variable Speed and Motorized 360° Panoramic Time Lapse Head compatible with Smartphones, GoPros, Digital Cameras
Our next pick is the Grip Gear’s Movie Maker Set – Electronic Sliding Track System with Variable Speed and Motorized 360° Panoramic Time Lapse Head compatible with Smartphones, GoPros, Digital Cameras. We like this set for a lot of reasons – here are some:
- Adaptable to use for smartphones, GoPros, and digital cameras.
- Motorized track system allows you to control the speed while staying perfectly steady.
- Can be charged or run on batteries.
While most motorize camera sliders are pricey, this one is quite affordable. However, there are a few issues to keep in mind:
- The joint in the tracks may cause the camera to jump occasionally.
- This unit is too light to handle cameras that weight more than 550 grams maximum.
- Burns through batteries quickly, so you’ll need to have replacements on hand.
This model isn’t perfect, but if you want an ultra-light motorized slide that’s affordable, you can’t do much better than this.
8. KAMERAR SD-1 Mark II 23″ DSLR CAMERA SLIDER DOLLY TRACK VIDEO STABILIZER SYSTEM WITH WHEEL
Our #8 pick is the KAMERAR SD-1 Mark II 23″ DSLR CAMERA SLIDER DOLLY TRACK VIDEO STABILIZER SYSTEM WITH WHEEL. There are a lot of reasons to like this slider:
- The product has removal legs and four adjustable dolly wheels.
- Balance weight connections on either side allow you to create a pulley system.
- Big enough to be versatile, but still lightweight at 3.9 pounds.
There are a few negatives to consider, too:
- The knob for the sled brake is plastic and thus not as sturdy as the rest of the slider.
- The brake is not particularly effective, which means that the slider may move too fast for some shots.
- The little rubber pads on the feet may come loose, but you can secure them with glue.
On the whole, this slider is a fantastic value for the price. We highly recommend it.
7. IMORDEN 48″/120cm Middle Video Camera Slider Rail Dolly Track Camera Camcorder Slider
The #7 slider on our list is the IMORDEN 48″/120cm Middle Video Camera Slider Rail Dolly Track Camera Camcorder Slider. Here’s why it made the cut:
- Works with any movie camera, digital camera, or other photographic equipment up to 15 pounds.
- Roller bearings allow for a very smooth slide, while you can use the rubber feet to slow down the slide as needed.
- Screw holes on both sides and the middle allow for multiple mounting options with or without a tripod.
This slider can do a lot, but here are some potential downsides to keep in mind:
- Weighing in at over 6 pounds, it’s not the lightest option available.
- Because of its weight and length, you really need to use two tripods if you want to mount it. If you use one, it will sag.
- You’ll have to do some tweaking and experimentation to figure out which settings work best for your needs.
On the whole, this is a versatile unit as long as you’re willing to work with its design.
6. NEEWER® Tabletop Mobile Rolling Slider Dolly Car Skater Video Track Rail for Speedlite DSLR Camera Camcorder Rig (Black)
Coming in at #6 on our list is the NEEWER® Tabletop Mobile Rolling Slider Dolly Car Skater Video Track Rail for Speedlite DSLR Camera Camcorder Rig (Black). Here’s why we picked it:
- One of the lightest sliders available, weighing in at just 1.4 pounds.
- Affordable price puts this product in range for beginners.
- Easy to use string to steer the slider as needed.
And here are a few potential downsides to keeping in mind before you buy:
- Requires an adapter to use with DSLR cameras.
- Plastically molded roller bearings may need to be sanded before use.
- Best used on absolutely flat surfaces.
The lightweight and low price mean that it doesn’t have many bells and whistles, but it’s a great starter slider for budding filmmakers.
5. LimoStudio Camera & Camcorder Slider 67″ Long 180 Degree 1/2 Round Circle Dolly Smooth Track for Video & Image Shoot, Photography Studio, AGG1837
The #5 pick on our list is the LimoStudio Camera & Camcorder Slider 67″ Long 180 Degree 1/2 Round Circle Dolly Smooth Track for Video & Image Shoot, Photography Studio, AGG1837. This is a cool product with lots of great features that explain why it made our list:
- 67-inch curved track allows for round tracking shots to be filmed with ease.
- Thin, lightweight design is easy to maneuver.
- Can be used both for video cameras and still photography.
Of course, there are a few potential cons to keep in mind when considering this product:
- The motor is a bit on the loud side, so if you are filming dialogue you may want to do something to muffle the motor.
- Difficult to transport when assembled, so you may have to allow extra time – although assembly is easy.
If you want a curved track that will make it easy for you to shoot multiple angles, this unit is a good choice.
4. Kamerar SD-1 DSLR DV Camera Track Dolly Slider Video Stabilization System (Black/Red)
Next up on our list is the Kamerar SD-1 DSLR DV Camera Track Dolly Slider Video Stabilization System (Black/Red). Here’s why this particular slider made our list:
- 24” length allows for a total of 15” of the slide between the two ends.
- Holds up to 5 pounds of camera equipment.
- High-end roller bearings with smooth rubber wheels make for ultra-smooth movement
- Can be used on a tripod or on a flat surface with the attached feet.
This is a great product, but there are a few potential issues:
- May need to apply some pressure to get the camera to roll evenly across the bars.
- Works better on a tabletop than with a tripod.
If you’re in the market for an affordable camera slider, this is a good choice at a reasonable price.
3. Neewer® 47″/120cm DSLR Camera Track Dolly Slider Video Stabilization Rail System with 176oz/5kg Load Capacity, Perfect for Photography and Video
Coming in at #3 on our list is the Neewer® 47″/120cm DSLR Camera Track Dolly Slider Video Stabilization Rail System with 176oz/5kg Load Capacity, Perfect for Photography and Video. Here are some of the features that made us decide to feature it:
- Double-interior rail system with bearings offers a very smooth movement for any camera.
- Can hold professional camera equipment up to almost 11 pounds.
- Versatile: can be used on a tabletop, on a tripod, angled on a tripod, or even as a crane on a tripod.
This camera slide can do a lot, but here are a few caveats:
- Careful assembly is required for this slider to work properly.
- Stability decreases with the weight of the camera equipment.
- Works best with a very sturdy tripod or stand.
This is a slide that can bridge the gap between amateur and professional at an affordable price.
2. Konova Camera Slider Dolly K2 60cm (23.6 Inch)
The number two camera slider on our list is the Konova Camera Slider Dolly K2 60cm (23.6 Inch). This is a well-constructed product, and here’s why it made our list:
- The professional-quality slider is made of high-grade aluminum to handle heavy equipment.
- Three legs are foldable or removable for easy storage.
- The slider comes with a handy carrying bag.
- Slider supports various accessories for flywheel and parallax shot.
This really is a superb product, but there are a few potential negatives to keep in mind:
- Factory bearings may require some tightening to run smoothly.
- The price tag is on the high side for an amateur, but very inexpensive for the quality.
If you’re in the market for a professional quality camera slider at an affordable price, you can’t go wrong with this model.
1. Shark Slider S1 Special Bundle: Extra Auxiliary Weight, Carrying Case, Extension Rods and Extra Belt
And finally, our top pick for the best camera slider of 2018 is the Shark Slider S1 Special Bundle: Extra Auxiliary Weight, Carrying Case, Extension Rods and Extra Belt. This isn’t the cheapest model available, but we think it’s worth the money.
- 31” rail can be extended to a full 47” with the included extension rails.
- Carbon fiber rails and precise engineering ensure smooth tracking with or without the extensions.
- Includes multiple threading options and can be used with or without a stand.
- Padded carrying case included.
This is a high-quality product with few issues, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- The price tag is hefty and probably too high for the amateur hobbyist.
- Due to its weight (up to 12 pounds with the counterweights attached), it’s too heavy to be used effectively without a stand.
On the whole, this camera slider really delivers a ton of value for its price. We recommend it highly.
The right camera slider can make even a beginning filmmaker look like a pro. The ten quality sliders on this list can give you what you need to shoot the films of your dreams.