Technology has made such tasks easier and safer than ever before. There’s a machine for almost every kitchen task.
An electric can opener is one of the essential accessories for the modern kitchen. If you use canned food or canned ingredients often, this small and super quick machine will make your life much easier. And for seniors and individuals with physical conditions that make their hands weak, an electric can opener is a must-have.
Electric can openers fall into two major categories. There’s the plug-in model (bigger and more sophisticated) that holds the can in place for hands-free opening. Then, there are the battery-operated, handheld models. These are smaller machines that clip onto the can and open it without requiring any effort from you.
What to consider when buying an electric can opener
Speed, stability, and safety must be the top considerations when assessing any electric can opener.
- Your safety is the top priority. Check for safety-focused features. First, the opener should cut the lid to a smooth edge that won’t cut you. Also, smooth cutting ensures that metal or plastic chippings do not get into your food. Secondly, the blade should be designed in a way that it doesn’t expose you to the risk of cuts when cleaning it.
- Speed: Saving time is the main reason for buying the machine. How can you know how quickly an electric can opener works? The best way is to look for videos showing the machine at work. You can find them on manufacturers’ and vendors’ sites.
- On stability, the machine should have a wide base for increased stability. You are going to be opening cans of different sizes and weights. The worst scenario would be purchasing an electric can opener that tips over when a can is attached to it. Some can openers have a gripped bottom to ensure that this doesn’t happen.
- Blade material: The best electric can openers feature sharp blades that don’t rust or become blunt quickly. Just any metal blade won’t cut it. Stainless steel is by far the most efficient material for can opener blades. It’s the safest as it does not rust; rust can be a health hazard when it contaminates your food. Moreover, stainless steel lasts longer than other blade materials.
- Added features: It’s common for manufacturers of kitchen tools to include several functions in one machine. Electric can openers haven’t been left behind in this regard. Some come with extra tools, including knife sharpeners and jar lid & glass bottle openers. These additional features make the machine more convenient, and they save you money as you don’t have to buy the extra tools separately.
Table of Contents
1. Cuisinart SCO-60 Deluxe Stainless Steel Can Opener
The widely recognized Cuisinart SCO-60 is a delight to have in your kitchen. It’s a freestanding stainless steel can opener that works on any standard-sized can with a simple touch of the button. With its deluxe look, it stands gracefully on your kitchen countertop. It’s a great complement for other premium accessories that characterize any modern kitchen
Key features of Cuisinart SCO-60
- Power-driven cut blade – no messing up with removable batteries
- A handy magnetic lid holder holds the can in place
- The arm holding the activation lever is removable to make cleaning easier
- BPA-free brushed stainless steel body
- Extra-wide base for stability
Top reasons for choosing this electric can opener
A smooth cut on the can lid relieves you of any worries associated with manually opening food cans. The safety of your hands is guaranteed as you don’t have to deal with carelessly-cut metal or plastic. Also, you are sure that no chippings have fallen into the contents of the can. This is the safety and convenience of Cuisinart SCO-60 offers.
2. Hamilton Beach (76606ZA) Smooth Touch Electric Automatic Can Opener
Tens of thousands of users have rated this Hamilton Beach automatic can opener highly. It excels in opening cans with pop-top lids, but it can work with just about any can thank its exceptional height. See more on its features below:
- Large, ergonomic easy-push lever – perfect for seniors and individuals suffering from arthritis
- Blade cuts along the side of the can minimize contact with food
- Sleek black and chrome finish
- Compact size: 4.67 x 5.01 x 10.2 inches
Why buy this electric can opener?
It does cut the edge smoothly, all the while staying far from your food unless the can is filled to the brim. Many users have lauded the side-cutting mechanism, citing that it helps to leave the cut lid on top of the can. You can then pull it off easily with your fingers. If you wish, you can use the cut lid again to cover the can’s remnants after you scoop what you need.
3. Kitchen Mama Electric Battery Operated Handheld Can Opener
This simplistic battery-run can opener is a great companion of every kitchen guru. It’s different from the top performer and the runner up in that it’s handheld. You simply place the can on a tabletop, attach this super sharp baby, and push a button for the magic to happen. It only takes a couple of seconds.
- Makes a clean, safe to touch cut along the edge of the lid
- Uses four AA batteries
- Ergonomic body for good hand grip
- Straightforward press button for easy turning on/off of the blade
Why buy this can opener?
If you are looking for an inexpensive can opener that requires minimal effort from you, consider this Kitchen Mama handheld device. It has a small body, which is perfect for small kitchens and for travel. Anyone can use it, wherever. It’s the friendliest electric can opener. Noteworthy, its current price is incredibly favorable.
4. Proctor Silex Electric Automatic Can Opener with Knife Sharpener
Proctor Silex rarely disappoints when it comes to making kitchen experiences special. From electric yogurt makers to electric can openers, this brand is every chef’s friend. What we like most about this automatic can opener is its versatility. It does more than just opening cans, and it functions in the most time-saving manner imaginable.
- Cutting lever twists off effortlessly and it is easy to wash
- Guidepost aids in aligning cans as needed for quick opening
- Built-in knife sharpener
- Automatic shutoff feature
- Convenient cord storage to reduce clutter on the countertop
Reasons to choose this electric can opener
Even for anyone who has never used an electric can opener, using this Proctor Silex essential machine is a no brainer. Other can openers require you to monitor the process from the beginning to the end. However, you can let this intelligently designed machine do its thing as you take care of other kitchen duties. This is enabled by the automatic shutoff feature. The knife sharpener is a nice additional feature. You won’t have to deal with annoyingly blunt knives anymore.
5. Geohee Smooth Edge Automatic Electric Can Opener
Geohee claims that their electric can opener is the chef’s best choice, and we investigated it to know the truth. What’s most striking about this compact handheld can opener is its extremely affordable price.
Are you a homeowner in need of a cheap electric can opener? Or do you run a hotel and are looking for inexpensive can openers to buy in bulk? Geohee is here for you.
Let’s see its features below:
- Cuts smoothly without requiring any manual pressing
- Uses two AA batteries
- One-touch automatic can open
- Easy to maintain – wipe with a damp cloth and don’t let water contact the battery part
Reasons to buy
This smart can opener will impress you with its power and hands-free operation. Although you need to press the button when the machine is done with the cutting, you only wait for a short while. It can handle many can types and materials. Notably, its compactness allows for easy transportation. Don’t leave it when going on trips and camps.
6. AmazonBasics Electric Can Opener
On the number 6 spot in our ranking is a well-built masterpiece designed by AmazonBasics. It’s among those options that intrigued us with their price. Embarking on its capabilities, we are pleasantly surprised by its quick, snag-free cutting. Give it just about any standard-sized can and it will amaze you with its smooth operation. Here are the features that make it a great choice:
- Efficient stainless steel blade
- Auto on/off and locking/release mechanisms
- Wide, non-slip base that holds the machine stable on the countertop
- Powerful magnetic lid holder
- Long-lasting plastic housing
Why buy this AmazonBasics electric can opener?
Getting a sleek, compact, and powerful electric can opener doesn’t have to hurt your bank account. AmazonBasics has designed a dependable machine that can handle all types of cans. If you need to open cans frequently, whether they are of your favorite soup, cooking ingredients, or your pet’s food, this electric can opener will make your life significantly easier.
7. Oster FPSTCN1300 Electric Can Opener
Here’s another one from a leading brand. Oster demands a hearty market share of modern kitchen electronic accessories. The FPSTCN1300 looks classic and reliable. Oster has put good work into its design. A brushed finish and compact housing are reflected in superior engineering. What’s beyond the good looks?
Highlights of Oster FPSTCN1300
- Ever sharp, removable stainless steel blade
- Magnetic lid lifter for hands-free operation
- Integrated bottle opener and knife sharpener (increased versatility)
- Auto shutoff functionality
- Retractable cord storage to reduce cluttering
Reasons to buy
Being one of the tallest can openers available, you’d be right to consider it if you deal with tall cylindrical cans. It’ll be fair to say, also, that this machine has gone above and beyond to give you an exceptionally versatile service. Besides, Oster has designed it with a creative way of hiding the cord.
8. BLACK+DECKER EC475W Extra-Tall Electric Can Opener with Knife Sharpener
Seemingly, there is a growing interest in more sophisticated and versatile electric can openers. The EC475W is one of the recent models from BLACK+DECKER’S series of tall can openers. It’s a premium-quality machine that opens cans and glass bottles quickly and safely.
Key features of the EC475W
- Removable power-pierce cutter
- Detachable pop-up lid opener for cans with pop tabs and pull rings
- Angled bottle opener
- Angled, right- and left-handed knife sharpener at the back
Reasons to buy
The flawless, compact construction of this electric can opener gives it away as an excellent kitchen accessory for domestic and professional use. It can open cans of all heights and sizes thanks to its bigger size (it’s taller than most competition) height and extended bass. Needless to say, its bottle opening and knife sharpening capabilities further increase its value in the kitchen.
9. VIIMI Electric Can Opener
VIIMI has not been left behind as brands compete to produce smaller and more portable electric can openers. This one has attracted many great reviews from users. Particularly, it’s ranked as one of the best for seniors and people with arthritis. What can it do?
- Small body with an ergonomic shape for hassle-less handheld operation
- Smooth edge cutting
- Uses the latest technology to open cans of different sizes and designs, including peculiar-shaped and rimless cans
- One-touch operation – ideal for all individuals with limited hand capability
- Super easy to clean
Why choose this electric can opener?
If you prefer smaller to bigger can openers, this battery-powered kitchen helper will exceed your expectations. We like VIIMI’s use of innovative side-cutting technology, which ensures that a smooth edge is what you get with any can you open. Cleaning the small machine is easy. It involves wiping off stains with a damp cloth.
10. Hamilton Beach Brushed Stainless Steel Electric Can Opener with Knife Sharpener
Closing our list today is this corded Hamilton Beach can opener. It’s a cool-looking kitchen helper belonging to the extra-tall class of electric can openers. It can help with opening small to large cans.
- Highly durable, detachable stainless steel blade
- Auto turnoff that activates when the lid is fully cut
- Multifunctional ability – has an integrated knife sharpener at the base
- Ingenious cord storage
Reasons to buy
Several reasons make this Hamilton Beach marvel the best electric can opener. One, it’s a strong machine that can withstand many years of frequent use. Secondly, it’s designed for both efficiency and versatility. The choice of stainless steel for the blade material is a common route for many top brands because stainless steel blades do their work very well and do not rust.
An electric can opener is one of the cheapest ways of making work easier in the kitchen. They are simple to operate, and they open various types of can lids safely. Don’t hesitate to choose one from the models we’ve reviewed provided it meets your needs and preferences.