Water quality has been a rather delicate topic for the clear majority of people. Due to pollution and contaminants, tap water is now considered almost undrinkable. While that is not entirely true, there is a valid reason for concern.
Water filtration systems can be expensive. The ones designed for regular households may turn to be an investment that not everyone is prepared for. A cheaper alternative is to get a water filter pitcher. They are affordable, reliable and can remove most contaminants from drinking water. They can even improve taste and reduce or remove odors.
The health benefits of using a water filter pitcher cannot be contested. These pitchers user pour-through filters and can even be stored in a refrigerator. The filter is usually made from charcoal with activated carbon granules. Over time, these filters get clogged up with impurities and will need to be replaced. We picked 10 different pitchers that have a proven track record for high efficiency and do not cost all that much. Here are the top 10 best water filter pitchers.
Best Water Filter Pitches in 2018
Table of Contents
- 10. OXA Large 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher
- 9. Nakii Long-Lasting Water Filter Pitcher
- 8. ZeroWater BPA-Free 8 Cup Blue Water Filtration Pitcher
- 7. EHM ULTRA Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 6. Brita Small 5 Cup Metro Water Pitcher with Filter
- 5. Clear2o CWS100 Water Filter Pitcher
- 4. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
- 3. Brita Large 10 Cup Grand Water Pitcher with Filter
- 2. MAVEA 1005722 Elemaris XL 9-Cup Water Filtration Pitcher
- 1. Brita Large 10 Cup Everyday Water Pitcher with Filter
- Things to keep in mind when looking for the best water filter pitches
10. OXA Large 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher
OXA large water filter pitcher is an inexpensive solution for the ones that are concerned about the water quality. It is a simple pitcher that can hold about 10 cups or 2.5 liters of water. It is capable of filtering up to 2400 cups or 153 gallons.
The pitcher is made from a BPA-free material and from eco-friendly sources. It comes with an easy to fill lid and that allows the reservoir to be filled with water without actually removing the lid. According to the manufacturers, the design of the pitcher recommends it to be stored in a refrigerator.
As far as filtration goes, the kit includes 2 filters. Each filter should last for approximately 60 days and can handle 153 gallons or 600 liters. It can remove free radicals, impurities, toxins and other elements that should not be in the water in the first place.
- Comes with 2 extra replaceable filters
- Can filter up to 153 or 600 liters of water
- Large 10 cup capacity
- Made using eco-friendly, BPA-free materials
9. Nakii Long-Lasting Water Filter Pitcher
Nakii water filter pitcher despite being cheap it is a more than a suitable model for everyday use. It is quite large and uses a standard and basic filtration method that just works. The pitcher works with regular carbon filters that can be found in most markets.
Besides the filter itself, the pitcher is also made from safe materials that do not release contaminants into the water. The container can hold up to 7 and a half cups which is about 1.8 liters.
As far as filtration goes, the ACF or active carbon fiber can filter around 150 gallons or 567 liters of water before needing to be replaced. The filters are easy to find in most markets and are very easy to swap. They can help reduce chlorine content, mercury, rust and many other contaminants.
- Uses commonly found ACF filters
- Can help reduce chlorine, mercury, rust and other particles
- Easy to fill without removing the cover
- Made only from safe materials
8. ZeroWater BPA-Free 8 Cup Blue Water Filtration Pitcher
ZeroWater filtration pitcher was made to make it as simple as possible to get clean water at home. Even tap water can become drinkable as it is capable of reducing odors and chlorine content as well as other types of contaminants.
The pitcher uses a 5-stage filtration system that makes it as efficient as possible when it comes to retaining impurities found in drinking water. The filters are very easy to replace and should last for at least a couple of months before getting too clogged up.
As expected, the water recipient is made from safe materials that do not contaminate the water. It comes with a large lid that makes it very easy to fill and can be stored in a fridge. As a bonus, the manufacturers included a small device that can be used to check the quality of the water.
- Comes with a complimentary water quality meter
- High-efficiency filters that can remove most contaminants
- Large BPA-free pitcher
- Easy to fill, can hold up to 8 cups of water
7. EHM ULTRA Premium Alkaline Water Pitcher
EHM ULTRA water pitcher is a great option for the ones that are concerned about the quality of the water there are using. It is a simple device consisting of a large 3.5-liter recipient with a lid and an active carbon filter.
The filters used for the pitcher are standard and can be found in most stores for a relatively decent price tag. They use a 6-stage filtration system that can remove chlorine, heavy metals and other impurities that are found in water.
Like most other water pitchers, the EHM is made from safe BPA-free materials. It has a durable construction and the large capacity recommends it mostly to large families. The pitcher can fit in most refrigerators as it is not too tall and features a large lid that makes it very easy to fill.
- Large 3.5-liter capacity
- Uses ACF filters with 6-stage filtration
- Helps reduce contaminants and odors from water
- Shaped to fit in any refrigerator
6. Brita Small 5 Cup Metro Water Pitcher with Filter
Brita Metro water filtration pitcher is one of the more inexpensive and practical models in our list. Because it has a 5 cup capacity, it is recommended mostly for smaller families. Also, being smaller makes it easier to fit even onto narrow shelves.
The pitcher is made from a BPA free material and uses standard Brita filters. The filters can help reduce odors and remove heavy metals such as copper, cadmium, mercury and many others. Built-in into the pitcher we have a small electronic filter indicator. The indicator will display a warning when the filter needs to be changed.
As far as numbers go, a filter can handle about 40 gallons of water which is about 2 months worth of water for an average household. Extra filters can be purchased separately, and they are not that expensive.
- BPA free construction and filters
- Filters can purify up to 40 gallons of water
- Can remove chlorine, odors, copper, mercury and other impurities
- Comes with an electronic filter utilization indicator
5. Clear2o CWS100 Water Filter Pitcher
Clear2o water filter pitcher is a popular item that offers premium quality for a moderate price tag. It is made from safe materials that do not contaminate the water and work with advanced carbon filters.
The filters used for the pitcher can retain a wide range of contaminants including pesticides, herbicides, pharmaceutical waste, heavy metals, chlorine, sediments, and odors. A filled pitcher will contain about 9 fl. Oz. of water.
Since it comes as a kit, the Clear2o pitcher includes a spare filter, 2 faucet adapters, quick connect attachment. One filter is capable of cleaning up to 50 gallons of water. Additional filters will need to be purchased separately.
- Uses premium solid carbon filters
- Includes 2 faucet adapters and a Quick Connect attachment
- Completely BPA free
- Removes a wide range of contaminants and impurities
4. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
Aquagear water filter pitcher is one of the more expensive models that were selected for our list. It compensates for a decent capacity and long-lasting filter. A new filter will last enough to filter about 150 gallons of water which is about 3 times more than average.
The pitcher is made from BPA-free plastic using only FDA approved materials. It is recyclable and it does not contaminate the water inside. The filters it uses can remove all the common impurities such as lead, fluoride, heavy metals and even odors that may come from substances such as chlorine.
With the bigger price tag comes better customer support. The pitcher comes with a lifetime warranty and it will even be replaced for free if it breaks. It has also been rigorously tested and it is compliant with NSF standards.
- Premium build quality
- Completely BPA-free, 100% recyclable
- Uses advanced filters that can purify up to 150 gallons of water each
- Lifetime guarantee and replacement free of charge
3. Brita Large 10 Cup Grand Water Pitcher with Filter
Brita Grand water pitcher offers good value for the money. The product comes in a simple box containing the pitcher and a filter. Using the provided filter, the pitcher will be able to purify about 40 gallons of water which are enough for 2 months for an average household.
Looking at the construction of the pitcher, only BPA-free materials have been used. The filter can help reduce chlorine taste and odor as well as to remove heavy metals and other impurities. Additional filters can be found in regular stores.
One useful feature is the fact that the pitcher comes with a built-in electronic filter indicator. It makes it easier to know when the filter needs to be replaced. The capacity of the pitcher is 10 cups which is more than enough for a regular household.
- Electronic filter indicator
- One filter can purify 40 gallons of water
- BPA free filter and pitcher
- Removes odors, heavy metals, and other impurities
2. MAVEA 1005722 Elemaris XL 9-Cup Water Filtration Pitcher
The MAVEA water filtration pitcher is one of the most popular picks for a good reason. It is a premium model that is still affordable. MAVEA uses one of the most advanced filtration systems that removes the vast majority of contaminants found in drinking water.
The pitcher has a 9 cup capacity making it large enough while still fitting inside a refrigerator. Its lit is easy to remove and filling it is just as simple. One filter should last for about 2 months based on the needs of a regular family.
As far as safety goes, the pitcher is made from BPA free materials. It does not contaminate the water and it keeps it fresh for long periods of time.
- Large 9 cup capacity
- Made from BPA free materials
- Long lasting filter
- Keeps the water fresh for longer periods of time
1. Brita Large 10 Cup Everyday Water Pitcher with Filter
Brita Everyday water pitcher is by far the most popular pick for the ones that are concerned about the quality of the water they are drinking. It is not that expensive and works quite well as it manages to remove most impurities, heavy metals and odors from drinking water.
The pitcher uses the standard Brita filters that can purify about 40 gallons of water before needing to be replaced. Additional filters can be found in most major stores for a rather decent price tag.
As far as safety and compliance goes, the pitcher is made from BPA-free materials. It can hold about 10 cups of water and can fit inside a refrigerator. It is very easy to fill and has a spill-free lid.
- Works with standard Brita filters, good for 40 gallons of water
- BPA-free construction
- Large 10 cup capacity
- Easy to fill, spill-free lid
Things to keep in mind when looking for the best water filter pitches
The good thing about water filter pitchers is that they tend to use the same filters. Usually, they last long and work quite well thus, the vast majority of pitchers are equally efficient at removing impurities from drinking water.
As they are fairly the same with just some design variations, it can be a bit confusing to pick a water filter pitcher out of the hundreds available. For this reason, we would like to highlight some aspects that matter when it comes to water pitchers.
- Filters used. The filters used by the pitchers need to be common or standard. A pitcher is almost useless if replacement filters are difficult to find. Most brands clearly advertise what kind of filters they use and how additional ones can be purchased.
- Filter Indicator. Some pitchers have a filter indicator that makes it easy to check when the actual filter needs to be replaced. Not all of them have this feature but it is something worth spending extra for.
- Capacity. A large family might not find a 5-cup pitcher to be suitable. It can be refilled but if for example it is stored in the fridge to have the water chilled, 5 cups might not be enough. It is better to check the capacity of a pitcher before spending money on it.
A decent water filter pitcher needs to have the right capacity before anything. Filtration performance is pretty much standard on all models. Some may be a bit more efficient than others but the differences are not noticeable.
What matters the most when it comes to pitchers is to not overspend. Some models have price tags that are difficult to justify. Almost all of them are BPA-free and use almost the same filters which is why even a cheap pitcher can be good enough.