We’d all like to have a nice, white smile. However, drinking coffee and red wine, smoking, and everyday wear-and-tear can cause the enamel on your teeth to lose its brightness and take on a yellow tone.
The solution for many people is buying a whitening toothpaste – a product that will simultaneously clean and whiten your teeth. You probably know that there are many such products on the market, and sorting out the differences between them can be overwhelming – particularly if you want to combine whitening with a product that cleans your teeth and prevents the build-up of plaque.
We decided to take the guesswork out of your buying decision by reviewing some of the products that are available and choosing the ten most effective to recommend to you. Before we reveal our choices, let’s take a close look at some of the product features you may want to consider.
What to Look for in a Whitening Toothpaste
A quick trip down the toothpaste aisle in any pharmacy reveals dozens of choices. Here are some of the key considerations to keep in mind when buying a whitening toothpaste.
- The first consideration is the ingredients the toothpaste contains. Many whitening toothpastes use baking soda and peroxide to whiten teeth. However, others contain chemicals and even bleach, and it’s important to know what you’re putting into your mouth.
- Another thing to keep in mind is how effective a whitener the toothpaste is. Some whitening toothpastes work far better than others, and you don’t want to spend your money on a product that won’t get the job done.
- We also think it’s important to think about the sensitivity of your teeth. If you’ve ever used a non-toothpaste tooth whitener, you probably know that some of them can wreak havoc with sensitive teeth. Make sure you choose a gentle toothpaste if this is a concern.
- The flavor of toothpaste is very important to some people. Most toothpastes are mint-flavored but there are other options available. Very few of us want unpleasant-tasting toothpaste, and whitening toothpastes are available in an array of flavors.
- Finally, you’ll want to consider the price of the toothpaste you buy. Some whitening toothpastes are very inexpensive, while others are costlier. We have made an effort to include toothpastes in a range of price points to suit every budget.
Best Whitening Toothpastes in 2020
Last update on 2020-06-03 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APINow that you have an idea of what to look for when you decide which whitening toothpaste to buy, it’s time to reveal our favorites. Here they are.
10. Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Toothpaste
The first toothpaste that makes our list is Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Toothpaste. It might seem strange to use something black to whiten your teeth, but charcoal is an effective ingredient. Here’s why this product makes our list:
- Cleans teeth gently without damaging the enamel
- Has a mild, minty flavor that freshens the mouth and works to eliminate bad breath
- Contains all-natural, plant-based ingredients and no fluoride or harmful chemicals
This is a good product, but here are a few things that could be better about it:
- It doesn’t lather like a lot of commercial toothpastes to the absence of sodium lauryl sulfate
- The flavor may not be to some people’s liking
- The price is on the high side for toothpaste
If you’re looking for a natural alternative to the chemicals in traditional whitening toothpaste, this is a good choice.
9. Crest 3D White Foaming Clean Whitening Toothpaste
Our #9 pick is from a respected brand. It’s Crest 3D White Foaming Clean Whitening Toothpaste, and here are a few of the things we like best about it.
- This is an affordable toothpaste that can fit into almost any budget
- Does a good job of removing surface stains from teeth
- Safe to use on all but the most sensitive teeth
And here are a few things that we think could be better:
- This toothpaste is not particularly foamy and that may turn some people off
- The chemicals in this product are not safe for children to swallow, so keep it away from them
- May not be the best choice for people with sensitive teeth
If you want a reliable whitening toothpaste from a nationally-known brand, this is a good choice.
8. Colgate Optic White Express White Whitening Toothpaste
The #8 pick on our list is Colgate Optic White Express White Whitening Toothpaste – another product from a popular brand. Here’s why we like it
- Contains fluoride to protect against tooth decay as well as whitening ingredients
- This product is affordable and a little goes a long way
- Has a pleasant, minty flavor
As you might expect, there are a few things that could be better:
- Some people prefer non-fluoride toothpastes and this product does contain it, as well as sodium lauryl sulfate
- Not recommended for sensitive teeth
- This will lighten your teeth, but you probably need something stronger if your teeth are seriously stained
This is a reliable product for people with normal teeth who need them to be a couple of shades whiter.
7. Arm & Hammer Truly Radiant Whitening & Enamel Strengthening Fluoride Toothpaste
Coming in at #7 on our list is Arm & Hammer Truly Radiant Whitening & Enamel Strengthening Fluoride Toothpaste. Here are some of the biggest reasons we like it:
- This product does not have many of the ingredients that people try to avoid, including sodium lauryl sulfate and other chemicals
- Baking soda has been proven to be an effective tooth whitener
- The calcium included helps to remineralize teeth and keep them strong and healthy
Here are a few potential caveats to keep in mind:
- This toothpaste is not as pleasant-tasting as some other commercial brands
- This brand does include fluoride, and some people prefer a non-fluoride toothpaste
- Using this toothpaste may make your teeth feel sensitive, so we don’t recommend it for people who have that issue
Overall, we like this toothpaste for people who want a product that doesn’t contain harmful chemicals.
6. Tom’s of Maine Antiplaque and Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste
Our #6 pick is Tom’s of Maine Antiplaque and Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste. These are some of the reasons we chose it:
- This is a fluoride-free toothpaste for people who prefer that
- This does a good job of gently whitening teeth and is safe for children
- The natural flavor (from peppermint oil) is refreshing and leaves your mouth feeling clean
While we really like this product, there are a few potential negatives to keep in mind:
- Despite its reputation for natural products, Tom’s does add sodium lauryl sulfate to their toothpaste
- The strong flavor may not be to everybody’s liking
- The texture of this toothpaste is a bit harsh compared to other options
If having a fluoride-free whitening toothpaste is important to you, this product is a good option.
5. Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Toothpaste with Coconut
The #5 pick on our list is the Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Toothpaste with Coconut. Here’s why we like it:
- Fluoride-free toothpaste contains coconut oil to fight mouth bacteria naturally
- Activated charcoal formula is safe for sensitive teeth
- Begins whitening teeth from the first time you use it
Here are a few things that we think could be better about this product:
- This definitely makes a mess in the sink, so make sure to rinse thoroughly
- The price is high compared to other whitening toothpastes
- The taste is not great
Despite its high price, we think this toothpaste is a great choice for people who want a natural product and a bright smile.
4. Sensodyne 24/7 Sensitivity Protection Extra Whitening Toothpaste
Coming in at #4 on our list is Sensodyne 24/7 Sensitivity Protection Extra Whitening Toothpaste. Sensodyne has a reputation of being the go-to toothpaste for
people with sensitive teeth. Here’s why we like this product:
- Helps to remove stains gently without irritating sensitive teeth
- Regular use decreases the overall sensitivity of your teeth
- The mild taste is pleasant and not overwhelming
There are a couple of potential cons to keep in mind. For example:
- This is not a very powerful whitener and is best for people who just want to brighten their smile a bit
- The price is higher than some other toothpastes on the market
People who have very sensitive teeth can benefit from using this product.
3. Opalescence Whitening Toothpaste
Our #3 pick is Opalescence Whitening Toothpaste. Here are a few of the reasons we picked it:
- It comes in several pleasant flavors, including Vanilla Mint
- Does a very good job of whitening teeth and even removes red wine and coffee stains
- A little goes a long way – a pea-sized dollop will clean your whole mouth
We really like this product, but here are a few potential negatives to consider:
- This is not an all-natural product, and it contains both fluoride and sodium lauryl sulfate
- This is an abrasive formula and not recommended for people with sensitive teeth
- The price is definitely on the high side compared to the big commercial brands
If you’re someone who puts a lot of emphasis on the flavor of your toothpaste, this is a great brand to try.
2. Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Toothpaste
Coming in at #2 on our list is Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Toothpaste. We love this product, and here’s why:
- 100% all-natural products are safe for everyday use
- Shows whitening results from the first use
- Minty flavor does a great job of freshening breath
Here are a few things that could be better:
- The price on this product is high
- Some people don’t like using charcoal in their mouths
- The directions are in Chinese and they should include them in English
We like this product because it’s natural and has a nice taste – and does a good job of whitening teeth, too.
1. Rembrandt Toothpaste, Intense Stain
Finally, the top pick on our list is Rembrandt Toothpaste, Intense Stain. Rembrandt is one of the best-known names when it comes to whitening toothpastes, so it should come as no surprise that they top our list. Here are just a few of the reasons that we love this product:
- Includes micro-polishers and stain removers tough enough to fight coffee, red wine, and tobacco stains
- This product is dispensed by more than 50,000 dentists, making it one of the most-recommended brands
- Does a great job of removing plaque and removing stains
There isn’t much we don’t like about this product, but here are a couple of quick things to keep in mind before you buy:
- This toothpaste is on the expensive side ($9+ per tube) and there are definitely less-expensive options available
- This paste is not as thick as some other brands and you’ll have to be careful when dispensing it onto your brush
- The standing tube can be a bit difficult to use, and toothpaste leaks out onto the cap
Aside from a few minor quibbles, we love this product. We’d recommend it to anybody who wants a nice, bright smile.
If you’ve decided that the time has come to whiten and brighten your smile, then whitening toothpaste is a product that’s affordable and makes sense. The 10 products we have selected for our list all get the job done – so think about your particular needs and priorities, and choose one!