Facial scars are a sensitive topic especially for a teenager. They do not leave just physical scars. They can have a deep impact over the confidence of a person and change the way they look at themselves. Facial scars are the most difficult to cope with. No matter how much makeup is put on, they are difficult to find and the ones around will notice.
Acne scars are very common and difficult to deal with but not impossible to remove. As long as they are handled at early stages, facial scars can heal and depend on how bad they are, they can even be removed completely.
A good scar removal cream can work wonders. There are known substances that help the skin regenerate and reduce scars if they are used during the healing process. Scars have healed completely already cannot be removed with a simple cream but something like acne scars can be fixed. Here are top 10 scar creams in 2018 that can help do just that.
Best Scar Removal Creams in 2018
Table of Contents
- 10. Pureauty Naturals Scar Removal Gel
- 9. SmoothRx Scar and Stretch Mark Removal Cream
- 8. ScarAway Silicone Gel Scar Treatment
- 7. Mederma PM Intensive Overnight Scar Cream
- 6. Kelo-Cote Advanced Formula Scar Gel
- 5. Scaraway Scar Diminishing Gel
- 4. Mederma PM Intensive Overnight Scar Cream
- 3. Era Organics Microdermabrasion Face Scrub & Facial Mask
- 2. Keeva Organics Scar Treatment Removal Cream
- 1. Mederma Advanced Skin Care Gel
- Things to keep in mind when looking for scar removal creams
10. Pureauty Naturals Scar Removal Gel
Pureuty Naturals scar removal gel has proven to have some positive effects so far. It comes in a small 2 oz tube and has the consistency of a gel which makes it easy to apply. The gel gets absorbed by the skin quite fast and does not leave a sticky sensation as with other similar products.
The gel is made using multiple active natural ingredients such as comfrey root, Aloe Vera, and calendula extract. It works quite well even on sensitive skin as it does not cause allergic reactions or irritate the skin in any way.
In terms of usage, the product can be used for acne scars, cuts, burn marks and stretch marks. It is suitable to be used on the face and on the body. It does not work that well on very old scars but on something like acne, it will show positive results.
- Inexpensive 2 oz gel that should last for quite some time
- Gets easily absorbed by the skin
- Uses natural hypoallergenic ingredients
- Works with scars from cuts, burns, acne and stretch marks
9. SmoothRx Scar and Stretch Mark Removal Cream
Products that use natural ingredients are now more popular than ever. The SmoothRx scar and stretch mark removal cream is a good combination of natural ingredients that offer decent results. Combining organic olive oil with cocoa and shea butter, the cream can help deal with common types of scars.
The cream has a nourishing and moisturizing effect while helping remove scars and stretch marks. It needs to be used over a longer period of time in order to see visible results.
For a natural cream, it is quite inexpensive. It is also quite mild on the skin and does not cause irritation. It is important to check out the ingredients first to check if any of them can cause allergic reactions but this can vary from one individual to another.
- Inexpensive and effective
- Can remove scars and stretch marks if used consistently
- Made using only natural ingredients
- Does not cause skin irritation
8. ScarAway Silicone Gel Scar Treatment
ScarAway silicone gel scar treatment is a simple and practical solution for the ones that have skin problems. It comes in the form of a tube with rollers that make it easy to apply. The product itself gets absorbed fast by the skin and it does not leave any residue.
The gel itself is made using silicone to help reduce scars from injuries, acne, burns, cuts and more. Unlike other creams, this one is completely odorless and has a non-greasy formula.
According to the manufacturers, the gel has been tested clinically and has a patent pending. Its effectiveness has been teste extensively and if used for longer periods of time, it will show noticeable results.
- Clinically tested, patent-pending formula
- Gets absorbed fast, non-greasy
- Shows noticeable results if used for longer periods of time
- Works for cuts, burns, acne, stretch mars and insect bites
7. Mederma PM Intensive Overnight Scar Cream
Maderma PM intensive overnight scar cream is an excellent product that can be used for a wide range of applications. It was designed to be applied right before going to bed and because it is absorbed by the skin, it will not spread around on the pillow.
Even if the ingredients are not clearly disclosed, the cream is stated to show results after using it consistently for two weeks. According to Mederma, the body regenerates faster during sleep which is why it is so efficient against scars,
The cream itself is not 100% natural and it is a bit more expensive but when it comes to results, it performs as expected. Even if it comes in a small 1.7 oz. packaging, it will last for quite some time as it is highly concentrated and only a small amount needs to be used at once.
- Shows visible results after just 2 weeks of use
- Concentrated formula, only a small amount needs to be applied
- Efficient if used before going to bed
- Pleasant scent and mild on the skin
6. Kelo-Cote Advanced Formula Scar Gel
Kelo-Cote makes a series of products that aim to deal with scars. Their advanced formula scar gel has proven to be the most efficient product so far. Using a simple silicone-based formula, the gel offers visible results if used consistently. It is not particularly cheap when compared with other creams but as long as it works, the price tag should not matter all that much.
The gel is made entirely out of silicone. This means that there are no other substances that can cause irritations or allergic reactions. The silicone itself helps soften, reduce swelling and relieve itching.
What is interesting about the gel is that it has a patent pending. It has also been tested clinically and showed positive results. For such a simple product with just one ingredient, it managed to achieve impressive results.
- Highly efficient against scars, cuts, burn marks
- Clinically tested
- Works on old and new scars
- Very easy to apply
5. Scaraway Scar Diminishing Gel
The Scaraway scar diminishing gel is yet another silicone based product. It uses only one ingredient and uses the same patent as all other silicone gels. Its effectiveness is well documented and has been proven clinically.
Compared with other silicone based gels, this one is a bit more affordable. It comes with a convenient roller applicator and a full tube should be enough for a 3-month treatment. In order to see noticeable results, the gel needs to be used over a longer period of time.
- Works with all types of scars
- Shows positive results if used consistently for longer periods of time
- Clinically tested, patented formula
- Easy to use, roller applicator
4. Mederma PM Intensive Overnight Scar Cream
Mederma PM intensive scar cream is a great product that makes use of a new formula. It was designed to be used as a night cream for a fairly simple reason. The body tends to spend the night recovering and the cream will benefit the most by being used before going to bed.
The ingredients used for the cream make it safe to use even by the ones that have a very sensitive skin. It is a grease-free cream that is absorbed quickly by the skin and can be used on the face and on the body.
According to the manufacturers, the cream has been clinically tested. To get the best results it is better to use it after the skin has been rinsed, before going to bed and for at least two weeks.
- Non-grease formula with fast absorption
- Shows results after just 14 days
- Can be used on the face and body
- Does not cause skin irritation or itching
3. Era Organics Microdermabrasion Face Scrub & Facial Mask
Microdermabrasion face scrub is a different type of cream. It is a scrubbing cream that helps remove dead skin and scars at the same time. It is made using a combination of natural ingredients including manuka honey and walnut.
Unlike other exfoliating creams, the Era Organics does not tear skin and does not cause irritation. It has a moisturizing effect that helps remove dead and dry skin. The ingredients used for the scrub also help heal and remove scars.
It is worth noting that the cream is completely safe for sensitive skin. It is paraben free and alcohol-free. Used over a longer period of time, it can help restore skin elasticity and reduce existing scars.
- Does not irritate the skin or cause any kind of damage
- Helps remove dead skin and reduce scars
- Contains natural ingredients and it is grease free
- Very easy to apply, can be used on a daily basis
2. Keeva Organics Scar Treatment Removal Cream
Keeva Organics scar treatment is a great cream for any type of skin and most types of scars. It works for cuts, hormonal acne, burns and other types of scars. It is quite universal in terms of application and can be used for the face and body.
For the formula, Keeva used a combination of natural oils and extracts from shea, rosehip seed, sesame seed, olive, hops, and many others. It has been tested extensively. It does not cause any side reactions or skin irritations.
It is worth saying that the cream is greasy a bit but it does a great job of hydrating the skin. The cream needs to be used consistently for a longer period of time in order to notice a reduction of an existing scar.
- Complex formula using natural ingredients
- Clinically tested, does not cause allergic reactions or skin irritations
- Quite affordable
- Effective against all types of scars
1. Mederma Advanced Skin Care Gel
Mederma Advanced Skin Care gel is one of the best products on the market for dealing with skin problems. It was made to deal with acne scars, burns, cuts, surgical scars and other types of skin problems.
The product uses a complex formula that also offers an SPF 30 sun protection. For scars, the cream needs to be utilized over a longer period of time in order to notice any results. Fortunately, it comes in a large tube that should last at least one month.
According to the manufacturers, their gel uses a special blend of ingredients including a proprietary botanical extract, hyaluronic acid, and Centella Asiatica plant extract. It is a paraben free product which will not cause skin irritation and is absorbed fast.
- Non-greasy formula, gets absorbed fast
- Complex blend of natural extracts and hyaluronic acid
- Paraben free, hypoallergenic
- Safe to use even while breastfeeding, works on all types of scars
Things to keep in mind when looking for scar removal creams
One of the things that matter the most when it comes to scar removal creams is that they actually need to work. Not every cream works for everyone. Our skin composition can vary from one person to another and it might take a few tries before finding the right scar removal cream.
Most of the scar removal creams rely on key ingredients to deal with skin issues. There is no exact science when it comes to their effectiveness. Most brands simply develop a new formula and perform clinical trials to determine if it works on not. It is basically an industry standard. For the average consumer, there are some aspects that matter a lot when it comes to scar removal creams:
- Natural or not? There are a few natural creams that do offer decent results. More complex skin care creams usually have a combination of natural and synthetic compounds that can also work quite well. It is important to look at the ingredients before getting a product to check if it contains any substances that might trigger an allergic reaction.
- Gel or cream? Gel treatments are usually more easily absorbed by the skin and they are completely grease free. Creams, on the other hand, are absorbed slower and may feel a bit greasy but they also have a better moisturizing effect.
- Day cream or night cream? Day time creams work but take longer to show any effects. Night time creams tend to show results faster but not everyone is comfortable using a cream that will be on while they sleep.
It is difficult to find that perfect cream that can remove a scar. Usually, people end up trying multiple scar removal creams before they find the right one that works for them. That does not mean that the market is flooded with bad products. It is just a matter of skin chemistry and the ingredients found in a certain cream.
If there is one important thing that matters the most is to keep on trying products. Scars are difficult to remove, some even impossible but with a bit of patience, they can at least be reduced in size.