There were some recent numbers that stated 15% of all adults sleep on their sides. The same adults prefer to have their legs outstretched. Surprisingly, 41% like to sleep in a fetal position. In both cases, this type of position makes them side sleepers. Basically, around 50% of all adults sleep on their sides, one way or another.
These statistics are quite important because there are certain implications. This position is quite challenging since it means that a lot of pressure points are being stressed which can lead to pain and even long-term permanent damage to the spine. There are situations in which sleeping on a side is the only solution such as for pregnant women but what is clear is that shoulder and back pain is quite common for these folks.
The main problem that side sleepers experience is caused by the use of improper mattresses. For example, a hard mattress is great for the ones that sleep on their backs but for side sleepers, excess tension leads to pain. The solution is to get a mattress that is not as hard and can adopt the same of the body. This releases pressure off the pressure points and thus it eliminates the pain associated with side sleeping. To help solve this problem, we decided to assemble a list of mattresses that are actually recommended to side sleepers.
Best Mattresses for Side Sleepers in 2018
Table of Contents
- 10. Live and Sleep Queen Size 10 Inch Cooling Medium Firm Memory Foam Mattress
- 9. DynastyMattress Cool Breeze 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- 8. Dreamfoam Bedding Arctic Dreams 10″ Cooling Gel Mattress
- 7. Brentwood Home Cypress Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- 6. LinenSpa 8″ Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
- 5. Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress
- 4. Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Premium Cloud-like Mattress
- 3. Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 12 Inch Mattress
- 2. Tuft & Needle Adaptive Memory Foam Mattress
- 1. Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress
- Things to keep in mind when looking for a mattress for side sleepers
10. Live and Sleep Queen Size 10 Inch Cooling Medium Firm Memory Foam Mattress
When it comes to back and hip pain associated with side sleeping, the Live and Sleep mattress seems to have sorted things out. Being made out of a memory foam material makes it quite soft and allows it to adopt the shape of the body without applying pressure in key body areas.
The mattress comes with a removable cover that is machine wash safe. It is made using only high-quality materials that are anti-bacterial, hypoallergenic and soft to the touch.
In terms of comfort, the mattress is highly rated. The price tag makes it quite affordable and due to the use of memory foam, it is a good pick for side sleepers. The manufacturers offer a 20-year warranty on their product and free returns.
- Thick memory foam layer that prevents hip and back pain
- Anti-bacterial, hypoallergenic, premium materials
- Comes with a refund policy, free returns and 20-year warranty
- Can aid with pain relief for side, stomach and back sleepers
9. DynastyMattress Cool Breeze 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
DynastyMattress Cool Breeze is a great product but not only for side sleepers but for everyone. It uses a gel layer on top of a memory foam which makes it have a soft and cooled surface. It is a great mattress especially for the ones that live in hot areas.
The interesting part about the mattress is the gel layer. This makes it have a very soft surface that helps reduce back and hip pain by distributing the weight better. The foam layer beneath it helps it better adjust to the shape of the body and provide better support.
Build quality is worth mentioning since the mattress has brown suede on the corners, fire barrier and a cover that can be removed. Maintenance is fairly straightforward as the cover is machine wash safe and the entire mattress has a 30 years warranty.
- Premium build quality with brown suede on the corners and a fire barrier
- Soft get memory foam for better support
- 4 layer construction making it comfortable for side sleepers
- 30 years warranty and 120 days risk-free trial
8. Dreamfoam Bedding Arctic Dreams 10″ Cooling Gel Mattress
Dreamfoam Bedding Arctic Dream mattress is surprisingly affordable and quite well made. The product was designed especially for the ones that have constant back problems and like to sleep on the side. It uses multiple layers to help provide better comfort and support to the spine and hip.
The construction of the mattress involves a gel-infused foam layer that remains cool even on hot days. It has a total of three layers that provide the right amount of softness and support.
One downside that needs to be mentioned is the fact that the mattress has a 10-year warranty when others offer 20 or 30 years. As for available options, the mattress is offered in 8 different sizes and 3 thickness levels.
- Comes in no less than 8 different sizes and 3 thickness levels
- Uses a 3 layer construction for improved support
- Breathable foam and soft gel that prevents unnatural position for the spine
- High-quality construction with durable materials
7. Brentwood Home Cypress Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Bentwood Bedding made a great mattress but comes with a rather steep price tag when compared to other models in our list. The mattress uses premium materials and was specifically designed to assist in having a proper spinal alignment during sleep.
The mattress uses a foam layer that is made using the safest material that is completely free of formaldehyde and phthalates. It is also very durable and does not contain toxic flame retardants. This makes it a great pick for the ones that are sensitive and have a lot of allergies.
- Premium build quality, free of toxic substances
- Promotes a proper spinal alignment during sleep
- Removable zippered cover
- Comes with a 25-year limited warranty
6. LinenSpa 8″ Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
LinenSpa memory foam hybrid mattress can help a lot, especially for side sleepers. It has a simple design with a thick memory foam layer that simply makes it very comfortable to sit on and with no hard spots, the spine will sit in a natural position that prevents the classic neck and back pain.
What is interesting about it is the fact that the mattress is quite inexpensive, yet it does not disappoint in terms of quality. It uses a soft memory foam layer and a knit soft fabric as cover. The cover can be removed, and machine washed.
As expected, the mattress can be found in multiple sizes and prices can vary a bit. The manufacturers used steel coils for the mattress which makes it a bit more durable. It includes a 10-year warranty and it is safety tested and certified.
- High-quality memory foal hybrid with gel
- Good selection of sizes and thickness for the mattress
- Steel coils that add extra durability
- Tested for safety
5. Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress
Sleep Innovations Shiloh is a great mattress but comes at a premium. It is quite expensive compared with other options from our list but the build quality does make up for it. It has tailored cushioning and a removable cover that is machine wash safe.
Comfort and support are ensured using a memory foam layer. It has a deep sleep top layer that is very soft and allows for an even distribution of the body weight which eliminates back pain. The spine will have a more natural position, especially for side sleepers.
The model uses cotton for the cover. This makes it a good choice for the ones that have sensitive skin or are afraid of allergies. The mattress itself has a warranty of 20 years and comes vacuum packed for easier handling.
- Premium build quality
- Removable cotton cover, easy to clean and machine wash safe
- Great comfort and support especially for side sleepers
- Comes with a 20-year limited warranty
4. Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Premium Cloud-like Mattress
Zinus makes some rather decent and affordable mattresses. Unlike other manufacturers, they make their mattresses with various patterns and quilted covers which do make them visually appealing. However, the comfort and quality of the mattress matter more than the design and fortunately, the Zinus memory foam mattress does not disappoint.
One interesting fact about the mattress is that it is made using 5 different layers. 4 of them are memory foam while the first one is a thick micro-fiber cover that adds softness to the surface layer. On top of these 5 layers, the mattress comes with a knitted jacquard cover.
With 4 layers of foam, the mattress reduces the pressure over the hip and shoulder area. It allows the spine to sit in a more natural position and it prevents back and necks pain. It is important to know that the mattress comes packaged and needs 72 hours to decompress.
- CertiPUR-US certified for durability and performance
- Special memory foam that eliminates odors and chemical smell
- Excellent support for the back, especially for side sleepers
- 4 memory foam layers and a thick quilted cover
3. Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 12 Inch Mattress
Zinus has a good range of products and some of their mattresses are quite impressive. The Ultima Comfort memory foam mattress is a bit more expensive than some of their other products but it is also superior in terms of quality.
The mattress is made using 3 different layers of foam and a knitted Jacquard cover. The foam layers have different densities so that they better adjust to the shape of the body. This puts less pressure on the hips and shoulders for side sleepers.
One important aspect worth mentioning is that the mattress uses BioFoam. It replaces petroleum foam with natural materials that are hypoallergenic and prevent odors. Durability is just as good if not better than regular foam mattresses.
- BioFoam that replaces petroleum foam
- 3 layers of foam to improve comfort and support
- Removable cover, easy to clean
- Hypoallergenic and odor repellant
2. Tuft & Needle Adaptive Memory Foam Mattress
Tuft & Needle adaptive memory foam mattress is a great pick for the ones that do not mind spending a bit extra. It is more expensive but if compensates for quality. It is a premium mattress with high-grade foam that proves to be superior to traditional materials such as latex and memory foam.
Because it has a soft layer on top of a harder layer of memory foam, the mattress adapts better and provides better support without causing any kind of back or neck pain for a side sleeper. It also remains cool and does not offer that typical overheating sensation that regular foam mattresses have.
The mattress itself comes in a compact package that makes it easier to handle. It needs up to 72 hours to fully expand before it is ready to use, and all odor dissipates.
- Does not heat up, remains cool
- Multiple foam layers, soft and comfortable
- Prevents back and shoulder pain
- High build quality, durable materials
1. Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress
The Zinus green tea memory foam mattress is by far the most affordable product in our list. Despite being so cheap, it is a great product that can truly help side sleepers. Its multiple foam layers and soft cover offers better support and relieves pressure.
For the mattress, the manufacturers used 3 foam layers of different densities and a soft removable cover. The foam is infused with green tea which is supposed to repel bad odors. The foam is also CertiPUR certified which means that it is durable and reliable.
In terms of comfort, the mattress is quite soft on the top layer which promotes a correct alignment of the spine even for side sleepers. It helps reduce back and neck pain and promotes a more a relaxing sleep pattern.
- 3 foam layers of different densities
- Comes in a very compact form factor
- Infused with green tea extract to repel odors
- Helps promote a correct spinal position that reduces back and neck pain
Things to keep in mind when looking for a mattress for side sleepers
A lot of people end up buying the wrong type of mattress and have to deal with back and neck pain. There is nothing more valuable than a good night sleep and a bad mattress can ruin everything. Side sleepers have it the worst mainly because of the position and because the pressure points are under more stress.
Side sleepers need to go for certain types of mattresses to be able to sleep properly. Picking the right model can be difficult since there is no exact science and manufacturers do not do a very good job at explaining what their product does. In order to make things easier, we have several aspects that can make a lot of difference and help get the right mattress:
- Mattress type: There are multiple types of mattresses but the best type for side sleepers are the ones that are made out of memory foam. They are a bit softer and shape around the body. This helps distribute the weight evenly.
- Thickness: It is important to check the thickness of the mattress. Usually, the thickness does not matter if the size is correct but if it is better to check ahead and ensure that it is not too thin.
- Size: The dimensions of mattresses can vary. Some models may have only a few sizes available and chances are none of them will fit into the bed at home. Due diligence is important in order to avoid having to return a product.
Sadly, there is no magic science that tells you which mattress is the best one to buy for a side sleeper. In general, memory foam is the way to go but things are not that simple. There are different types of foams, there can be multiple layers and some mattresses might be harder than others.
It is quite common to see people returning mattresses because they get back and neck pain. Even if a model is great for someone, others might have trouble with it. What matters is not to get stuck with a mattress that simply does not work. Our list should provide more than enough options worth checking out.