In a word where snacks seem to get less healthy with each passing day, popcorn in a throwback to a simpler time. Whether you want to enjoy some popcorn as a midafternoon snack or pop up a huge batch for a family movie night, you need to have the right popper.
We’ve taken a look at the available poppers and tried them out so you don’t have to. Here are the results: the 10 best popcorn makers in 2020.
Best Popcorn Makers in 2020
Last update on 2020-07-08 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Presto 04820 PopLite Hot Air Popper
First on our list is the Presto 04820 PopLite Hot Air Popper. This is an affordably priced and reliable model that’s perfect for home use or for a college dorm. Here’s why we like it:
- It can pop up to 18 cups of popcorn in less than three minutes – that’s faster than a microwave!
- It’s efficient, leaving behind very few un-popped kernels
- It pops corn without oil, creating a healthy snack
Over time, buying this popper and an ongoing supply of gourmet popcorn is significantly less expensive than buying microwave popcorn – and healthier, too! Prepackaged microwave popcorn contains harmful chemicals. Here, you’ll just get the corn.
2. West Bend 82306 Stir Crazy 6-Quart Electric Popcorn Popper
Our next pick is the West Bend 82306 Stir Crazy 6-Quart Electric Popcorn Popper. This is a great choice if you want a popper that ensures perfectly popped corn every single time. Here’s what it does:
- Pops up to 6 quarts of popcorn in about 5 minutes
- Stirs corn as it pops, ensuring that every kernel becomes fluffy popcorn
- Requires very little oil thanks to its non-stick surface
- Includes a butter well if you want to melt butter while your corn pops
This is an easy-to-use and effective popper. One of the things we especially like about it is that the plastic cover doubles as a bowl. When your corn has finished popping, all you have to do is lift the machine and give it a flip and you’re ready to go.
3. Cuisinart CPM-100 EasyPop Hot Air Popcorn Maker
The Cuisinart CPM-100 EasyPop Hot Air Popcorn Maker is another very affordable choice. It’s fast, efficient, and we like it for these reasons:
- It pops quickly, producing up to 15 cups of fresh popcorn in under three minutes
- It includes a plastic funnel to ensure that all of the popcorn gets into your bowl and not on the floor
- A dual-purpose cup nests into the funnel – you can use it to measure your popcorn, and then it doubles as a place to melt butter while your popcorn pops
- The funnel and cup are removable and dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
If you want a quick and easy popcorn snack with no fuss, this popper is the one for you.
4. Great Northern Popcorn Red Matinee Movie Theater Style 8 oz. Antique Popcorn Machine
Do you want the feel of going to the movie theater without the expense? If so, the Great Northern Popcorn Red Matinee Movie Theater Style 8 oz. Antique Popcorn Machine is here to help. This machine is perfect if you want delicious popcorn delivered in style. Here’s why we picked it:
- Made of sturdy stainless steel and tempered glass
- Beautiful design adds flair to any family room
- 8-ounce kettle comes with removable tray to catch un-popped kernels
- Makes 2-3 gallons of popcorn at once
- Comes with 50 popcorn bags, a measuring cup, and a popcorn scoop
- Protected by a 3-year warranty (for the machine) and a 30-day limited warranty for the parts (including the kettle and light bulbs)
This machine makes tasty popcorn with a side of nostalgia. It’s not the cheapest machine on our list, but it’s fun to use.
5. Salbree Collapsible Silicone Microwave Hot Air Popcorn Popper Bowl
Would you like the convenience of popping corn in your microwave without the mess and health hazards? Try the Salbree Collapsible Silicone Microwave Hot Air Popcorn Popper Bowl. Available in a variety of fun colors, this bowl:
- Makes popcorn in the microwave in minutes without creating waste or using harmful chemicals
- Allows you to make popcorn with or without added oil
- Has built-in handles for easy and safe removal from the microwave
- Collapses for easy storage
It’s made of food-safe silicone, so it’s practically indestructible. This is a great choice for small spaces, including RVs and dorm rooms.
6. Franklin’s Gourmet Popcorn Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper with Popcorn
People who want to feel involved in preparing a popcorn snack might enjoy Franklin’s Gourmet Popcorn Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper with Popcorn. This stove top kettle has been around for decades but it’s still one of the best available. This popper:
- Is made of durable aluminum that you can season and clean simply by wiping it with paper towel
- Includes a handle and crank made of real wood to stir the kernels as they pop
- Pops a huge batch of corn (about six quarts) in only three minutes on any stovetop
- Has a great vintage look
You do need to use a bit of oil in this popper, but it doesn’t take much to get perfectly popped corn every time. It comes with a lifetime warranty and a package of popcorn to get your started.
7. Hamilton Beach 73310 Party Popper Popcorn Maker, Red
Do you need to make popcorn for a crowd? Whether you’re hosting a neighborhood movie night or you just have a big family, the Hamilton Beach 73310 Party Popper Popcorn Maker can get the job done. Here’s what it can do:
- Makes up to 24 cups of popcorn at once
- Comes with convenient measuring cups for the corn and oil
- The top of the machine converts into a giant serving bowl
- The two parts of the machine nest for easy storage
- Dishwasher safe
The only thing you need to be careful of with this machine is to make sure to remove the kettle after the corn is done popping so the residual oil doesn’t burn. It cools quickly for storage.
8. Great Northern Popcorn Original Stainless Steel Stove Top 6-1/2-Quart Popcorn Popper
The Great Northern Popcorn Original Stainless Steel Stove Top 6-1/2-Quart Popcorn Popper is durable and has some great options for people who want to make popcorn at home. It sits on the stove top and works well on any type of stove, including glass-top stoves. Here’s why it made our list:
- Makes up to 5 full quarts of popcorn in just a few minutes
- Solid stainless steel construction makes this great choice for regular use
- Pan is easy to season and wipes out with paper towel after each use
- Wooden handles and hand crank help prevent burning and ensure every kernel pops
- Vented lid keeps moisture out so popcorn stays fresh and crisp
It’s easy to add additional flavoring to your popcorn with this popper, and it even makes great kettle corn.
9. Waring Pro WPM10 Professional Popcorn Maker
The Waring Pro WPM10 Professional Popcorn Maker is a modern-looking crowd pleaser. It’s fast and efficient, and it’s backed by Waring’s excellent customer service. We chose it because:
- It can make up to 20 cups of fresh popcorn at a time
- It heats quickly for quick popping
- It has an automatic stirrer that keeps the corn moving and ensures that nothing burns
- The lid has multiple vents to allow steam to escape
- The lid also converts to a bowl for easy serving
- The motor is backed by a 5-year replacement warranty
If you want a reliable machine from a well-known brand, this Waring machine fits the bill.
10. Nostalgia KPM200 Vintage Collection 2.5-Ounce Kettle Popcorn Popper
We close our list with another machine that combines style and efficiency. The Nostalgia KPM200 Vintage Collection 2.5-Ounce Kettle Popcorn Popper has a cool vintage look with modern features. We like it because:
- It can pop up to 10 cups of popcorn at a time, and the bin holds up to 30 cups
- It comes with a hand crank so you can keep the popcorn moving and prevent burning
- The glass sides and lighted interior turn making popcorn into a show
- A convenient tilt-out popcorn door makes serving popcorn fun and easy
- Vented windows keep popcorn crunchy even if you don’t eat it all at once
This machine makes for a great centerpiece at parties and movie nights – and it would make a perfect addition to any family movie room.
These ten machines all make fresh, delicious popcorn in just minutes without the health risks and environmental waste associated with microwave popcorn. There’s one for every price point and preference. Over time, buying a quality popcorn popper is less expensive too – so pick the one you like best and start popping!