A camping air mattress is so much more than just an inflatable flat balloon. It is a cunning solution for that situation in which a bit of comfort is greatly appreciated. We are talking about festivals, camping nights, hosting guests or even when there is no more space in the bedroom.
These days, air beds or mattresses are much more robust and reliable. They do not get punctures, have clever air chambers or even a layer of memory foam. Innovation has improved camping air mattresses for the better. At the same time, they remain just as practical as they are lightweight, easy to carry and become extremely compact. We managed to find 10 interesting camping air mattresses that can be used in all sorts of situations and provide enough comfort for a camping trip. Here is our list of the top 10 best camping air mattresses in 2018.
Best Camping Air Mattresses in 2018
Table of Contents
- 10. Therm-a-Rest MondoKing 3D Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress
- 9. KingCamp Outdoor Camping Sleeping Air Mattress
- 8. Etekcity Camping Portable Air Mattress
- 7. Coleman QuickBed Elite Extra High Airbed
- 6. ALPS Mountaineering Rechargeable Air Bed
- 5. SoundAsleep Camping Series Air Mattress
- 4. Intex Prestige Downy Airbed Kit
- 3. Coleman Soft Plush Top Inflated Quickbed
- 2. Intex Pillow Rest Classic Airbed with Built-in Pillow
- 1. Intex Classic Downy Airbed Set
- Things to keep in mind when looking for the best camping air mattress
10. Therm-a-Rest MondoKing 3D Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress
The Therm-a-Rest ModoKing 3D camping mattress is a bit different when compared to a regular mattress. What sets it apart is the fact that it has a foam layer that is meant to improve sleep quality. However, it does make it a bit more difficult to travel with since it takes more storage space.
A useful feature is the fact that the camping mattress is self-inflating. It takes only a couple of minutes to set it up and no additional pump is required. The foam layer is 4 inches thick and the entire mattress measures 25 by 77 inches, making it suitable for one adult.
In terms of practicality, the mattress is just as easy to deflate. It is easy to pack even if it takes more storage space and it is made from a durable material that is puncture resistant. The mattress includes a carrying bag with a small handle for portability.
- Self-inflating system
- Thick foam layer for extra comfort
- Includes a carry bag
- Dual valves to allow the foam to be compressed
9. KingCamp Outdoor Camping Sleeping Air Mattress
KingCamp outdoor air mattress is a great option for the ones that have a limited budget. It is a moderately priced mattress with a practical design and a reliable construction. The mattress uses 190T polyester making it waterproof and punctures resistant.
The air mattress has a very simple design. It is large enough to fit one adult and takes very little space when packed. It has an innovative design in the sense that it has a built-in pump. All it takes is to press on the foot pats indicated on the mattress.
In terms of practicality, the mattress weighs just 7.71 pounds. It is quite lightweight and portable. The model is very durable and because of the chamber structure, it provides a comfortable resting position.
- Lightweight and very compact when packed
- Built-in foot pump
- 76 by 27 inches, suitable for one adult
- Includes a carrying bag and repair kit
8. Etekcity Camping Portable Air Mattress
Etekcity camping air mattress is one of the larger models in our list. It is quite comfortable and very easy to setup. For practicality reasons, the mattress comes with its own electric, battery-powered pump that can be recharged.
The mattress is made mostly from non-toxic PVC. The top side has a soft suede-type of cover that makes it very soft and comfortable to sit on. Also, the mattress is quite thick, being 9 inches tall which keeps it raised from the floor, away from the cold and wet ground.
In terms of reliability, the mattress is made from a very durable material. It is puncture resistant and becomes extremely compact when folded. The mattress is also not that heavy and comes with its own carry bag.
- Thick, 9 inches tall
- Lightweight and easy to pack
- Built-in rechargeable electric pump
- Soft flocking top layer
7. Coleman QuickBed Elite Extra High Airbed
Coleman QuickBed Elite inflatable air mattress is more of an all-purpose product. It can be used in pretty much any situation in which a mattress is needed including for camping. However, it is a bit thicker than most camping air mattresses.
The mattress is 9 inches tall which helps protect the person using it from moisture and cold ground. It is fairly large as two people can sleep in it and it is quite easy to setup. The model comes with a battery powered air pump that can be recharged.
To make it easier to travel with, the mattress comes with its own carry bag. It does not take all that much storage space and it is fairly lightweight. The top side of the mattress has a soft cover and the whole mattress itself can support a maximum load of up to 600 pounds.
- Large enough for 2 adults
- Thick, protects the user from the cold ground and moist
- Double lock valve to prevent leaks
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
6. ALPS Mountaineering Rechargeable Air Bed
ALPS Mountaineering air bet is a versatile inflatable mattress that can be used for all types of activities both indoors and outdoors. It is quite well built, with a durable construction that is puncture resistant and a soft top for the sleeping surface.
Like most other inflatable air mattresses, the ALPS is very easy to setup. It takes little over one minute to inflate it using a regular pump and it is just as easy to deflate. When deflated, the mattress can be folded to become extremely compact, and being lightweight, it is easy to carry in a backpack for a camping trip.
The mattress itself is large enough for one adult to sit comfortably but it can fit two adults. The model is available in two sizes and includes a small carry bag.
- Soft top to improve the sleeping surface
- Available in 2 sizes
- Includes a small carry bag
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor activities
5. SoundAsleep Camping Series Air Mattress
SoundAsleep camping air mattress offers great value for the money. It is a large air mattress that can be used by two adults whom can sleep on it comfortably. The model is also available in a smaller, single size.
Like most other air mattresses, the model is made from a durable material that can withstand high air pressure and it is puncture resistant. The model also features a soft top that improves comfort and sleeps quality.
For the mattress, the manufacturers included a carry bag. It takes less than 3 minutes to fully inflate it using a regular pump and takes very little bag space when deflated. The model includes a battery powered-pump that can be recharged.
- Includes a rechargeable battery powered pump
- Available in 2 sizes
- Includes a small carry bag
- Soft material on the top to improve comfort and sleep quality
4. Intex Prestige Downy Airbed Kit
Intex Prestige Downy airbed kit is a great pick for the ones that love camping. It is one of the most inexpensive air mattresses, but it does not disappoint when it comes to reliability. It is made from a durable material that is puncture resistant and a soft top for improved comfort.
Since it comes as a kit, the mattress includes a small battery powered pump and a carry bag. It basically comes with everything needed to make it easy to travel with and have it ready in a matter of minutes.
The mattress features a soft material on the sleeping surface and a multi-chamber design that improves comfort. It is a twin-size model meaning that two adults can sleep comfortably on it. The mattress supports a maximum load of 300 pounds.
- Includes a battery pump
- Supports a maximum load of 300 pounds
- Soft flocked top
- Twin-sized, suitable for 2 adults
3. Coleman Soft Plush Top Inflated Quickbed
Coleman soft plus inflated Quickbed is a great pick for the ones that are looking for an inexpensive product that provides decent quality. It is made from a durable material with multiple chambers and a double lock valve to prevent leaks.
The air mattress has a standard size of 73 by 58 inches which makes it suitable for 2 adults. It is also available in 2 additional sizes and as a kit that includes an electric pump. All versions come with their own carry bag.
Like most other mattresses, the Coleman is made using a high durability material that is stretch and puncture resistant. It has a soft top cover to improve comfort and takes very little storage space when deflated.
- Available in 3 sizes and as kits including a pump
- Double lock valve to prevent leaks
- Soft top surface for improved comfort
- Very compact when deflated and rolled into the storage pouch
2. Intex Pillow Rest Classic Airbed with Built-in Pillow
Intex classic airbed is a great option for the ones that are looking for something inexpensive and practical. It is a great pick for the ones that love outdoor activities such as camping. It is also quite large and comes with everything needed to have it ready in just a couple of minutes.
The mattress has a built-in pillow and comes with an electric pump. The electric pump can inflate the mattress in about 3 minutes and it can also be used to deflate it. When packeted, the mattress becomes quite compact and easy to carry in a backpack.
As far as comfort goes, the mattress is quite thick as it measures 12 inches in height. This keeps the person sleeping on it protected from the cold ground and moisture. Also, the material from which is made is puncture resistant and the top is covered with a soft material.
- 12-inch thickness, protects the user from cold ground and humidity
- Includes an electric pump
- Has a built-in pillow
- Puncture resistant and sturdy construction
1. Intex Classic Downy Airbed Set
Even if the Intex Classic Downy inflatable mattress is one of the most inexpensive models in our list, it surely does not disappoint as it offers great value for money. It is a simple two-person mattress measuring 60 by 80 inches and supports a load capacity of up to 600 pounds.
The mattress is quite sturdy and durable. It was made to be used both indoors and outdoors and features a 2-in-1 valve that prevents leaks and makes it easy to inflate. It is also just as easy to deflate since the valve opening is extra-wide.
Unlike other mattresses, this one comes with a manual pump, but it works quite well. It has a soft top and comes with a storage pouch. When folded, the mattress becomes small enough to be carried in a camping backpack.
- Inexpensive but well made
- Supports 2 adults or loads of up to 600 pounds
- Includes a hand pump
- Extra-wide valve opening
Things to keep in mind when looking for the best camping air mattress
A camping air mattress can serve many more purposes than just camping. They can be used for any situation both indoors and outdoors when a resting place or extra bed is needed. Truth be told, they are not much different from regular air mattresses.
Usually, a regular air mattress can be used for camping as long as it is made from a durable material that is puncture resistant. Other than that, they are basically the same type of product. The advantage they bring over a regular sleeping bag is the extra comfort. Here are a few things that are worth looking out for.
- Mattress size. The size of the mattress is quite important. Usually, they are large enough for two adults but there are other sizes as well. A single person should go for a smaller mattress since it will also be lighter in terms of weight.
- Durability and reliability. Since camping mattresses are meant to be used outdoors and directly on the hard ground, they need to be durable. They need to be puncture resistant and tear resistant.
- Thickness. Many might not think about this, but the thickness of the mattress does matter. If the mattress is too thin, the person sleeping on it might feel the coldness of the ground or be exposed to moisture.
Camping air mattresses are usually an alternative to sleeping bags. However, they are far superior to sleeping bags because of the cushioning they offer and their ability to protect the user from moisture and the coldness of the ground on which the mattress is placed. They are also much more compact when it comes to carrying one around.
When it comes to diversity, there is no shortage of mattresses available. Even if some of them are not specifically marketed as being designed for camping, they can work well. For our list, we were able to find 10 different mattresses of different sizes that are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use and should be enough to make the search a lot easier.