Do you need a more effective solution for working your core muscles? Crunches and sit-ups don’t always provide the results that you want. With the help of core & abdominal trainers, you can easily target your core muscles and start working toward a toned, slim stomach.
There are basically two types of core & abdominal trainers – wheels and mats.
The mats help you maintain proper posture while performing crunches and sit-ups. Your body is placed in an elevated position, which puts less strain on your back. The wheel or roller helps you work a greater range of muscles.
Best Core & Abdominal Trainers in 2020
To help you find the right piece of equipment, here is the list of top 10 best core & abdominal trainers in 2020.
Last update on 2020-10-25 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10. Core Roller Body/Back Massage Crunch Trainer Ab Machine
The first option is a versatile piece of equipment. You can sculpt sexy abs while also massaging your back muscles. Relieve tension and shorten your recovery time between workouts with the help of this ab trainer.
You sit on the machine, which contains springs that support your back. This helps guide your movement when performing crunches or sit ups.
Here is a closer look at the main features and advantages:
- Includes supporting springs to help reduce discomfort along the lower back while performing sit ups
- You can also massage and relieve back muscle tension
- It features a compact design and is available in two colors – pink or blue
There are no major drawbacks to this piece of equipment. It is comfortable, easy to use, and offers a combination of uses.
Basically, when you use this ab trainer to perform sit-ups or crunches, you are exercising while massaging your muscles. It is a 2-in-1 approach. Also, it comes with a yoga mat and workout guide – all for one low price.
9. High-Density Ab Mat for Total Core Workouts
The next option is an ab mat. Abdominal mats are intended to help increase the intensity of your workout while also offering support for your lower back. This helps you maintain perfect form and reduce the risk of lower back pain.
You can use this ab mat for yoga, crunches, cross fit, or any other workout plan. Some of the product details and benefits include:
- Compact design – 14 x 12 x 3-inches
- Includes a 1-year guarantee
- Weighs just 1.5-pounds
- No setup is required – you simply place the mat behind your lower back
- Includes a free instructional guide
There are a couple of disadvantages to consider:
- The tapered design may not be comfortable for everyone
- The material is dense and doesn’t provide a lot of spring
This is a quality mat but does lack a couple features that you’d get a from a high-end ab mat. This includes a more tapered design. The shape of the mat may not be comfortable for everyone. Typically, there will be more of a taper. Also, the material is thick and may not provide as much spring or bounce as other mats.
With this ab mat, you can release tension along your back muscles while working your core muscles. This is an effective way to get more out of your ab workouts. But, this isn’t the most highly-recommended ab mat available.
8. AB WOW Abs Trainer Perfect Ab Roller Workout Wheel
The next ab trainer features a wheel design. With these types of trainers, you get on all four and grab the wheel with your hands. You then use your core muscles to roll the wheel forward and to wheel it back toward your body. This is almost like a reverse crunch or sit up and engages the same muscles. Other features include:
- Foot straps with 2 tension bands
- Includes a knee mat
- Comes with a carrying case for all the components
- Supports up to 500-pounds weight
- You also work your shoulders, arms, and back muscles
The following disadvantages also need to be considered:
- The knee pad isn’t very thick
- You may notice a strange smell when you first unpack the product
Some people report an unusual odor. But, this seems to pass after several days. And, it doesn’t impact the use of the product. The other issue is the knee pad. It isn’t very thick, so it doesn’t provide much support for your knees while performing the rolling exercise. If you have an issue with this, you may need to use a separate knee pad.
Overall, this is a great buy. It includes foot straps and tension bands, which helps you perform the exercise without letting the wheel get away from you. It offers increased stability compared to other wheel-style ab trainers.
7. ProSource Abdominal Mat High-Density Core Trainer
At number 7 is another ab mat core trainer. This one has more of a natural curve compared to the previous ab mat. This provides additional comfort for your lower back. Other advantages include:
- Available in three colors – black, gray, and blue
- High-density foam provides support and stability
- Measures 15 x 12 x 2.5-inches
- You can engage your abs through a full range of motion
- You can lie sideways on the mat for oblique crunches
- Improved stability compared to exercise balls and discs
What about the disadvantages? The only issues include:
- This mat is a little bit shorter than some of your other options
- It is very stiff when you first purchase the mat
You’ll need to break the mat in after you first get it. It will arrive stiff. Some people may find this uncomfortable. But, with regular use, it will soften slightly, without losing support. It is also a little bit shorter than some of the other mats.
In the end, this ab mat should help with your core exercises. It features an arch design that naturally curves to the shape of your back. You can get more out of your workouts with the help of this affordable little mat.
6. ACF Ab Roller for Abdominal Exercise
The next option is a standard ab roller. It is intended to help you work your core muscles by performing a rolling exercise on the floor. This is the same use as the previous ab wheel. The main difference is that this is just the wheel. You don’t get foot straps or other equipment – just a solid wheel and these advantages:
- Durable design that should hold up to regular use
- Dual wheel design increases stability while rolling
- Includes ergonomic handles for a firm grip on the roller
- Includes a lifetime replacement warranty
- 30-day money back guarantee
In addition to the pros, you need to look at the cons. With this ab wheel trainer, you only need to worry about the following:
- Does not come with helpful instructions or a workout guide
- Comes unassembled
You’ll need to assemble this ab trainer before using it. Some people have had issues with the assembly of the machine, which can increase the risk of damage to the various components during use. Take your time. Don’t rush the assembly process.
Also, it doesn’t come with helpful instructions or a workout guide. When you first use this roller, don’t try to roll all the way out. Instead, you should roll partially forward, so that you can maintain control of the roller and get used to the movement. But, overall, this is a great little ab trainer that should offer years of use.
5. SKLZ Core Wheels Dynamic Strength & Ab Trainer
At number 5 is another roller. Though, this one utilizes a different design. Instead of a single roller, you have two handheld rollers. You place one roller in each hand.
The rollers have two wheels, so you have a total of 4 wheels to help maintain proper form. In addition to this unique design, you’ll get these benefits:
- This ab trainer package is lightweight and portable
- Comes with 2 sets of CORE wheels and a training guide
- You can use this for a variety of exercises
- Ergonomic design helps increase the comfort of the CORE wheels
There are no major disadvantages to discuss. The product is exactly as advertised. You get a set of 2 CORE wheels, which allows you to improve the effectiveness of various core workouts. This includes plank and push-up exercises. This provides more versatility than a standard wheel-type ab trainer.
4. POWER GUIDANCE Ab Exercise Mat Abdominal & Core Trainer
This core trainer is like the previous ab mats, with a few notable differences. It is lighter, yet firm. It also stays firm. This ab mat is built with a high-density foam material that will retain its form – even with repeated use. In addition to the durability, it includes these features:
- You can get a full range of motion while performing core workouts
- You can easily target your abdominal muscles while getting a proper stretch
- The exterior is made from durable PVC leather
- Perform crunches, leg lifts, and sit ups
- 100% money back guarantee
Overall, this is one of the best mats available. It remains firm, even if you use it every day. It also has a tapered design that helps with comfort and support.
The exterior PVC leather is both durable and comfortable. In the end, it’s a great choice for an ab mat. But, there are still a couple other mats further in this list.
3. WODFitters Ab Trainer Mat PRO
At number 3 is another ab mat. This one includes a carrying bag and comes with access to a digital workout guide. It provides lower back support while you perform standard crunches and sit ups, helping you trim your waist and target your core muscles. Other features include the following:
- Durable and hygienic – constructed from antibacterial PVC material
- Includes a carrying bag for easy transport
- Lifetime warranty on the ab mat
- The mat retains its shape
- It’s not too hard or too soft – just the right level of support for performing crunches
- Improves your posture while performing crunches and sit ups
There are no drawbacks. You get what you pay for – a quality ab mat trainer for helping you perform proper crunches and sit ups. It measures 15 x 11.5 x 2.5-inches. Some people may prefer a taller mat. But, 2.5-inches is a good height, considering the tapered design.
2. Elite Ab Wheel Roller
Here is another ab roller trainer. It has a dual-wheel design with large handles so that you can get a firm grip. It also comes fully assembled, so that you can start using this trainer as soon as you take it out of the box. Here are some of the other features and advantages:
- The dual wheel design helps ensure smooth rolling and better posture
- Includes step by step instructions and video to show you how to use the ab roller
- Lifetime replacement warranty
- Easy to use – anyone can use this to work their abdominal and oblique muscles
This is a great piece of equipment and perfect for anyone that wants to try using an ab roller. Dollar for dollar, this is the best ab roller on the market in 2020.
1. AbMat Abdominal Trainer
The top choice for abdominal trainers is the AbMat. This is the most well-known brand for ab mats. It features a perfectly curved design that contours to the shape of your lower back. The material is dense and absorbent – offering the perfect level of support and these benefits:
- Available in 9 different colors
- Comes with a certificate of authenticity to prove that this is an official AbMat
- Contoured to your lower back
- Allows the body full range of motion
- Built to last – the durable material should offer years of use
- Includes an instruction manual
The bottom line is that you get a stable and safe surface for performing perfect sit ups and crunches. It is affordable, durable, and effective.
Choosing the Right Core & Abdominal Trainer
When choosing the right trainer, remember to think about the different designs. You can get a mat or a roller.
The mats allow you to perform crunches and sit ups. They help improve your form and can reduce lower back pain. The rollers help work a greater range of muscles. But, some people may find the rolling motion to be too stressful on the back.
In the end, choose the option that best suits your needs and fitness goals. You may even end up choosing multiple trainers to get more out of your workouts.