The safety of municipal water systems has been in the news quite a bit lately. The case of Flint, Michigan was an extreme example, but people everywhere are concerned about having access to safe drinking water. That’s true for everybody, but it’s especially true for parents of small children.
One solution that can help ensure the safety of your drinking water is buying an undersink reverse osmosis water filter system. There are a lot of options available, so we have taken the time to review them and provide you with a list of the 10 best Undersink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Systems in 2019.
What to Look for in an Undersink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
As always, we like, to begin with an overview of what to look for in an under sink reverse osmosis water filter system. Here are some of the most important elements to consider:
- A good reverse osmosis water filter should have certifications from both the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and the NSF, a public health and safety organization. The certification means that the filter can be relied upon to clear out at least 98% of impurities and produce water that is safe to drink.
- The filtering system is hugely important because it has a direct impact on the taste and purity of the water. Many RO filtering systems have at least five filtering stages, as follows:
- Sediment filtration removes dust and other particles
- Carbon filtration takes care of harmful chemicals like chlorine and also improves the taste of water (some filters have two carbon filtration steps)
- Reverse osmosis filters out additional impurities
- Coconut shell filtration removes additional flavors
- Additional processing stages in some filters are used to mineralize the water and improve its flavor
- System installation and filter replacement are far easier in some models than in others. Ideally, you want a system that is easy to install. You also want the replacement filters to be affordable, easy to find, and easy to replace. The purpose is to have healthy drinking water for you and your family, so the system should not be complicated.
Best Undersink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Systems in 2019
The bottom line is that the goal of a quality reverse osmosis filtering system. We have taken a look and tested the systems available, and here are our picks for the best of the best.
Last update on 2019-08-08 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10. Aquaphor Water Filters RO-101 Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System
The first reverse osmosis system to make our list is the Aquaphor Water Filters RO-101 Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System. This is a reliable system that makes our list for the following reasons:
- All components are made of food grade and recyclable materials
- Removes up to 99% of all contaminants, including lead, chlorine, bacteria, and many more
- Compact system fits easily under most sinks
Here are a few things that you might want to consider before buying:
- The manufacturer recommends 20 hours of flushing when replacing the RO membrane
- Limits on filtering ability mean that this unit can filter only about six gallons of water per day
- Replacement filters are expensive and may be out of reach for some
If you’re looking for a compact RO filter that is durable and reliable, this is a good choice.
9. 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System RO Home Purifier with 15 TOTAL FILTERS
The #9 filter on our list is the 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System RO Home Purifier with 15 TOTAL FILTERS. Here are some of the things we like about it:
- Efficient system can filter up to 50 gallons of water per day
- Filters particles as small as 1/1000 of a micron and removes 99.9% of all contaminants
- Color-coded system makes for easy installation
There are a few potential downsides to consider. For example:
- The manufacturer claims that the included filters will last for four years, but that depends on your usage. If you filter a lot of water every day they may not last that long.
- The included faucet is a bit slow and may mean that it takes a while to fill up water bottles and containers
- Must make sure to buy water seal tape and seal corners after installation to prevent leaks
This is an easy system to install yourself as long as you follow instructions and seal the edges.
8. Express Water ROALK5D 10-Stage Alkaline Reverse Osmosis Home Drinking Water Filtration System
The item at #8 on our list is the Express Water ROALK5D 10-Stage Alkaline Reverse Osmosis Home Drinking Water Filtration System with 5 Stage Alkaline Mineral pH+ Antioxidant Remineralization Filter. We like this filter for the following reasons:
- System is lead-free and BPA-free
- Removes up to 99% of all contaminants with superior filtration system
- Mineralization feature provides the body with calcium, magnesium, potassium and other essential nutrients
As always, there are a few things that might be better in this system:
- The installation instructions in the manual are a bit thin and could be fleshed out
- The pH of the resulting water is not good for watering plants
- Alkaline filters may be difficult to find for this brand
On the whole, this is a reliable system that produces great-tasting, mineralized water that your whole family will love to drink.
7. Express Water RO5DX 5 Stage Home Drinking Reverse Osmosis System plus Extra Full Set- 4 Water Filter
Coming in at #7 on our list is the Express Water RO5DX 5 Stage Home Drinking Reverse Osmosis System plus Extra Full Set- 4 Water Filter. Here are some of the reasons that we chose this filter:
- Five-step filtration system removes more than 99% of contaminants, including chemicals, sediment, bacteria, and more
- Final “polishing” stage ensures great-tasting water every time
- Less water waste than with other systems
Here are a few things we think could be improved in this system:
- The tank is made of metal with a food-safe butyl bladder inside of it – some may not like that the tank isn’t food-grade plastic, but butyl is approved by the NSF
- The included adaptor may not fit every faucet
- System is prone to leaks if the tubes aren’t installed correctly
As long as you make sure to push the tubes at least 3/8” in, you shouldn’t have problem with leak. This is a long-lasting and reliable system.
6. APEC Top Tier Supreme Certified High Flow 90 GPD Ultra Safe Built in USA Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
The #6 RO filter on our list is the APEC Top Tier Supreme Certified High Flow 90 GPD Ultra Safe Built in USA Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System. Here are some of the reasons that we chose it:
- WQA gold seal certification says that this filter will remove harmful chemicals, viruses, bacteria, and over 1000 contaminants in total
- Tank and tubing are made of food-grade materials that are safe for your family
- High-capacity filters last longer than those on other models
As always, there are a few things that could use improvement. For example:
- The manual is comprehensive but may still be a bit difficult for amateurs to understand
- The flow rate may be a bit slow for some people’s taste
- The high price tag may be a deterrent for some customers, but the excellent quality and high production make it a good choice for big families
The water this system produces has a very clean taste and it’s capable of handling large volumes of water every day.
5. iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage Under-Sink Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filtration System with Alkaline Remineralization Filter – 75 GPD
The next filter on our list is the iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage Under-Sink Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filtration System with Alkaline Remineralization Filter – 75 GPD. This is another great product for these reasons:
- Removes over 1000 contaminants including chlorine and fluoride
- Filters particles down to 1/10000 of a micron
- Produces up to 75 gallons of drinkable water day, with added minerals such as potassium, calcium, sodium, and magnesium
We like this system a lot, but there are a few potential downsides to consider:
- You must square the ends of the hoses before installation to prevent leaks
- Filters may need to be changed as often as every two months depending on how much water you filter and how many contaminants are present
- The manual may be a bit difficult to understand for some
This system produces very clean, mineralized water that’s delicious and healthy for the whole family.
4. 6 Stage UV Ultra-Violet Sterilizer Reverse Osmosis Home Drinking Water Filtration System – Clear Housing -100gpd- DELUXE faucet – pressure gauge – ROUV10DCG – EXPRESS WATER
Coming in at the #4 spot on our list is the 6 Stage UV Ultra-Violet Sterilizer Reverse Osmosis Home Drinking Water Filtration System – Clear Housing -100gpd- DELUXE faucet – pressure gauge – ROUV10DCG – EXPRESS WATER. Here are some of the reasons we like this system:
- Lead-free and BPA-free system is safe for everybody in the family
- UV sterilization process removes 99.99% of all contaminants, including chemicals, viruses, and bacteria
- High-capacity system process up to 100 gallons of water per day
Here are a few potential downsides to keep in mind:
- Installation may be a bit complicated for some users
- While the manufacturer recommends changing the filters every six months, large families may need to do it more frequently
If you have a big family and want the added security of UV sterilization, this is a great unit for you.
3. APEC Top Tier Alkaline Mineral Ph+ Ultra Safe Built In USA Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System (ESSENCE ROES-PH75)
Our #3 product is the APEC Top Tier Alkaline Mineral Ph+ Ultra Safe Built In USA Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System (ESSENCE ROES-PH75).Here’s what we like about it:
- 6-stage filtration system filters up to 75 gallons of water today
- FDA-approved cartridge reintroduces calcium and other minerals
- Removes 99% of all contaminants
There are a few things that be aware of, too:
- The pH of the final product may be a bit high for some people’s taste
- If you use a lot of water at once the tank is a bit slow to refill
- The waste ratio is bit high for this unit, coming in at four gallons to produce one gallon of drinkable water
If you’re not picky about the pH balance of the final product, this is a good unit to try.
2. APEC Essence Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System (ROES-50)
The #2 product on our list is also our third choice from APEC, the APEC Essence Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System (ROES-50). Here are some of the things we like about it:
- FDA & NSF certified food grade tubing is safe for your entire family
- Comes with a lead-free chrome faucet
- Quiet model won’t interfere with conversations
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- The lack of a remineralization system may be a problem for some
- If you have a non-standard faucet you may need additional parts to connect the filter
- Careful installation is required to prevent leaks
1. iSpring RCC7 WQA Gold Seal Certified 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System – 75 GPD
Finally, the top filter on our list is the iSpring RCC7 WQA Gold Seal Certified 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System – 75 GPD. We love almost everything about this system, including:
- Thin film composite RO membrane filters out particles down to 1/10000 of a micron
- Removes more than 99% of all contaminants
- Filters up to 75 gallons per day
There really isn’t much to dislike about this system, but consider:
- The water waste is on the high side, so may not be ideal for drought areas like California
- Not large enough to filter a whole house – good for one, high-volume sink
This system produces incredibly clean and clear water with a great taste. We recommend it highly.
Access to clean drinking water is something we take for granted, but chemical pollutants and organic compounds can still get into the drinking supply. The 10 reverse osmosis filters on this list are sure to provide your family with all the clean, clear drinking water you need.