Air hammers are versatile power tools, often used for cutting through durable stone or metal. When shopping for a new air hammer, you’ll want to consider the hammer tips, maximum pressure, and the warranty.
Best Air Hammers in 2019
To help you make the most informed decisions, here is a list of the top 10 best air hammers in 2019.
Last update on 2019-08-08 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10. Performance Tool M668 Heavy Duty Air Hammer with 5 Chisels
First up is this heavy-duty air hammer. It comes with 5 chisels and only costs about $26, depending on the latest sale. It’s perfect for basic repairs, hole punching, and panel cutting. You can also remove rivets and perform exhaust work.
Here are the primary advantages of choosing this air hammer:
- Features a quick-change spring safety retainer
- It also has a built-in air regulator
- Weighs less than 5 pounds
- Shank size is 0.380-inch
- 5 heat-treated chisels
The only real drawback is the following issue:
- Does not accept standard 0.401 shank bits
This air hammer uses 0.380-inch shanks, instead of the standard 0.401. If you already have a set of chisels, this may not be the right fit. Though, this does come with 5 chisels
The average PSI needed with a small air tank is about 90. If you want a heavy-duty air hammer without spending a lot of money, this is a decent choice. Though, you’ll also want to compare this to the next 9 options.
9. PowRyte Basic 100115 Short Stroke Air Hammer with Flat Chisel
The next air hammer to consider is the cheapest one from the bunch.
Don’t let the low price fool you. This air hammer is a workhorse. It delivers 5000 blows per minute and has other useful features that make it a great choice. This includes the following benefits and features:
- Alloyed steel barrel and heat-treated piston
- Delivers 5000 blows per minute with a 1 5/8-inch stroke
- The grip has an ergonomic design with a protective rubber coating
- Built-in power regulator provides better control of the speed
- Weighs about 2 pounds
Drawbacks include these issues:
- Comes with a single flat chisel
You only get one chisel with this air hammer. It’s a flat chisel. But, it accepts the standard 0.401-inch shank diameter. The max pressure is rated at 90 PSI – consuming 4.5 CFM @ 90 PSI.
The bottom line is that this is an easy-to-use air hammer with precision control and it’s available at a low price.
8. Chicago Pneumatic CP7150 Air Hammer
This air hammer from Chicago Pneumatic is both powerful and easy to use. The cost is toward the higher end, but it could be worth the price. Find out for yourself. Here are the top advantages and features of this air hammer:
- Uses standard 0.401-inch shanks
- Comes with a round shank
- Includes easy change retainer
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Delivers about 2100 blows per minute
- Great for body shop work, pipe removal, and scraping rust
- Ergonomic grip makes operation more comfortable
- Built to last – earlier models of the same hammer are known to last 15 years or longer with regular use
There are a couple of potential disadvantages:
- The hammer produces a lot of vibration
- Weighs about 8 pounds
The combination of these 2 drawbacks could be important if you don’t have enough hand strength. If you’ve never used an air hammer or pneumatic power tools before, you might want to start with a different hammer.
But, for the rest, this is a quality gun with a variety of positive features. It can be used for a wide array of applications and should provide years of use.
7. Astro Pneumatic Tool 4980 0.498” Shank Super Duty Air Hammer/Riveter
Next, learn more about this air hammer and riveter. It delivers 1800 BPM, which is a little lower than some of your other options. But, you’ll need to consider some of the other features:
- Intended for heavy duty applications
- Remove or install rivets
- Bore – ¾-inch
- Stroke – 2 11/16-inch
- Weighs just under 5 pounds
- You get a 1-year warranty
Of course, there are a few drawbacks to consider as well:
- Does not come with shanks
- Not as powerful as some of the other air hammers in this list
This is a basic air hammer or riveter. You can use it for either, depending on your needs. Though, as this hammer delivers fewer blows per minute, it may not handle all heavy-duty applications. Also, it doesn’t come with chisels.
Overall, this is an economical choice for anyone that just needs a standard air hammer that can also double as a riveter.
6. AIRCAT 5200-A-T Stroke Low Vibration Composite Air Hammer
The next option is a quality air hammer with several unique features that help it stand out from the other hammers in this list. This includes the following advantages and features:
- The hammer produces low vibration and low noise levels
- Quick change chisel retainer
- Ergonomic handle and grip for improved comfort
- Produces 2200 blows per minute from a 3 7/8-inch piston stroke
- Includes a metal valve – instead of a plastic valve
- Works with the standard 0.401-inch shank opening
The drawbacks include:
- Doesn’t come with any bits
- Weighs 5-pounds
- Isn’t as quiet as other air hammers
This air hammer is marketed as a low-noise power tool. This isn’t accurate. It does produce a lot of noise. But, the low-vibration description is accurate.
The hammer doesn’t vibrate as much as some of the other options. When combined with the ergonomic handle and grip, this is one of the most comfortable air hammers.
In the end, this is a great choice – if you’re not looking for a quieter air hammer.
Click here for: Top 10 Best Hammers
5. Kobalt Air Hammer with 4 Chisels
The 5th best air hammer is this option from Kobalt. It has an alloyed steel barrel and heat-treated piston for extra durability and longer life. Requires 4.5 CFM at 90 PSI.
Explore the benefits of using this air hammer:
- Comes with 4 chisels
- Built-in power regulator and trigger control
- Coil spring retainer allows for quick and easy chisel changes
- The grip has an ergonomic design and rubber coating
- Accepts standard 0.401-inch shanks
- Weighs about 4.3 pounds
- Delivers 4500 blows per minute
One of the lower-priced options, this hammer delivers exceptional power. Though, there are still some disadvantages to explore:
- The stroke is only 1-inch in length – most are longer
- The handle is relatively small
The combination of a shorter stroke and smaller handle may not be suitable for those with larger hands. If these issues aren’t a factor, then you should love using this air hammer. It’s easy to control and quite powerful.
4. Capri Tools 32070 Air Hammer + 4 Chisels
Here’s a powerful air hammer with a pro-level 125mm hex shank for a firm chisel grip. It’s lightweight and durable, while also providing you with these benefits:
- Includes a quick connector
- Delivers 3000 blows per minute
- Comes with 4 chisels
- 1-year warranty
- Weighs 4.7 pounds
- Versatile – suitable for a wide variety of applications
The only drawbacks include these potential issues:
- The chisels are a bit on the short side
- Plastic grip could slip with sweaty hands
- Consumes 7 CFM at 90 PSI
If you choose to purchase this air hammer, make sure you’re wearing appropriate work gloves. The plastic handle could be slippery when your hands get sweaty.
Those are minor drawbacks and don’t really impact the performance of the air hammer. They are more related to your own personal preferences – other than the power consumption.
At 7 CFM, this air hammer uses air pressure faster than some of the other air hammers. Depending on the size of your tank, this could be an issue.
The bottom line is that this air hammer is powerful, durable, and lightweight. You get precision control and the package comes with 4 chisels.
3. DEWALT DWMT70785 Air Chisel Hammer
The 3rd best air hammer in 2019 is this model from DEWALT. It has an aluminum body design, touch control trigger, and several other great features. DEWALT is a name that you can trust, so durability and service life shouldn’t be an issue.
Along with these features, here are the rest of the advantages:
- Features a shock absorbing handle to help reduce vibration
- The touch control trigger allows quick and easy operation
- The hammer accepts standard 0.401-inch chisel shanks
- The aluminum body is more durable than plastic air hammers
- Lightweight design
- Includes 3 different chisels
- 3-year limited warranty
This is a solid air hammer with no real disadvantages to discuss. But, there have been occasional reports of the hammer being too weak or vibrating too much. Though, the customers making those claims are in the minority. Most people love this powerful little jackhammer.
The aluminum design should offer years of use. You don’t need to worry about the hammer cracking or breaking. The mechanical parts are solid and built to last. And, it comes with a 3-year warranty. So, this could be exactly what you’re looking for.
You can use for just about any application where you’d want an air hammer. This includes auto body work, along with other tasks.
For example, you could use this to groove out cracks in concrete, scrape rust, or use it in any other setting that requires a powerful air hammer.
2. Sunex SX243 HD 250MM Long Barrel Air Hammer
The 2nd best air hammer for 2018 is this long barrel air hammer. A longer barrel can help deliver more blows per minute while requiring less air pressure. This hammer cranks out 2200 BPM. While that is on the lower end of the scale, it should be enough to get most jobs done.
If you’re not sure about the previous options, then check out the top advantages and features of this Sunex air hammer:
- The housing is constructed from aluminum alloy for extra durability and to make the air hammer lighter
- The hammer has an ergonomic comfort grip – which helps reduce the strain of a constantly vibrating pneumatic tool
- Includes a built-in regulator knob – makes it easy to adjust the power
- Consumes about 4 CFM at 90 PSI
- Suitable for various applications, including driving, grinding, and cutting
- The hammer accepts standard 0.401-inch shanks
What about the disadvantages? There are no big issues to discuss – just a couple minor things to point out:
- Does not come with any chisels
- Does not come with a case
You are getting a quality hammer. But, that’s it. You don’t get any chisels or a case to store your air hammer. Though, this shouldn’t be a problem. Especially considering the relatively low price of the air hammer.
In the end, perhaps the greatest feature of this air hammer is the longer barrel. This helps provide greater precision and power.
1. Ingersoll Rand Air Hammer 114GQC
The final air hammer to consider comes highly-rated. It is both affordable and powerful. You’ll enjoy features such as alloyed steel barrel and heat-treated piston – both of which help to increase the durability of the pneumatic power tool.
Check out the rest of the advantages to learn more:
- Includes 3 chisels
- Features a quick-change chisel retainer so that you can quickly change chisels
- Diffused handle exhaust prevents overheating
- Ergonomic grip for better comfort while operating the hammer
- Delivers 3500 BPM with a 2-5/8-inch stroke
- Perfect for chiseling, scraping, and cutting metals
- Weighs just over 1 pound
- You get a 1-year limited warranty
- Uses standard 0.401-inch shank chisels
You won’t find any disadvantages with this air hammer. Though it does have a hair trigger, this isn’t a disadvantage. You’ll just need to get used to the trigger and use caution when you first starting using the hammer.
The bottom line is that this is the best air hammer for the money. You can use to cut through concrete, ceramic, metal, and thick materials. It works great and provides a lot of power.
Choosing the Best Air Hammer
Remember to consider the maximum pressure and the power of the air hammer. The power is rated in blows per minute (BPM), with 3,000 BPM being an average rating.
That covers the top 10 best air hammers for 2018. Before you make your final decision, review the features, pros, and cons of each of the hammers discussed.