If you have solar panels on your home, you know that having the right batteries for them is essential. The batteries ensure that you have power when you need it – and even at times of high usage or when it’s overcast.
There are many kinds of solar batteries available and it can be a challenge to sort through the options and choose the batteries that are best for your personal electricity needs. That’s why we have taken the trouble to go through some of the batteries available and give a comprehensive list of the 10 best.
What to Look for in a Rechargeable Battery for Solar Panels
Before we list our favorite batteries, let’s review some of the considerations to keep in mind when purchasing rechargeable batteries for your solar panels.
There are three basic types of batteries, each with its own pros and cons:
- Deep cycle, lead-acid batteries have been around for a long time. While the old batteries would have required refilling as the acid evaporated, newer versions include gel and absorbed glass mat (AGM) models that convert hydrogen and oxygen into the water. They’re low maintenance, effective, and less expensive than lithium-ion batteries. The one downside is that they are toxic and must be recycled and/or disposed of properly to be safe.
- Lithium-ion batteries are the most commonly used type of rechargeable battery, and they have some good qualities. For one, they tend to last for more cycles than lead-acid batteries, which may make them more cost-efficient in the long run. Also, lithium-ion batteries that use organic compounds are safe to dispose of. However, those with inorganic-based cells are highly toxic and must be carefully disposed of.
- Redox flow batteries are the latest technological advance in rechargeable batteries. They use vanadium from fly ash (a by-product of coal-fired electric generating plants) as their energy source. Perhaps the biggest benefit of using a flow battery is that they are endlessly rechargeable and there is no limit to the number of cycles you can get from them. They are also non-toxic, and the output can be increased simply by adding more electrolyte to the battery.
The other things to consider when shopping for a rechargeable battery for your panels include their storage size, which can vary depending on how much power you need, the voltage (it must be compatible with your system), the recharge cycle, and the cost of ownership.
Now that you know what to look for, here are our picks for the best rechargeable batteries for solar panels in 2021.
Best Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Panels in 2021
Last update on 2022-01-17 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10. QTY 2 Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr155 AGM Deep Cycle 12v 310ah total at 12V (155ah ea) SLA rechargeable Battery
First up on our list, is the QTY 2 Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr155 AGM Deep Cycle 12v 310ah total at 12V (155ah ea) SLA rechargeable Battery for Use with Pv Solar Panels,Smart chargers wind Turbine and Inverters. This set includes lead-calcium two solar batteries, and here’s why we chose it for our list:
- Military-grade plates ensure the highest quality
- Compatible with 12V or 24V systems
- Float service life of 10 to 12 years makes this cost effective despite the price
There are a few things to be aware of before you buy, as well:
- These batteries are very heavy at over 90 pounds each – get help if you need it
- One year warranty provides only limited protection in the event of a problem
- Be careful about not draining them too low which may shorten their lifespan
These batteries are not inexpensive, but they are long-lasting and non-toxic.
9. QTY 4 VMAX SLR155 Vmaxtanks AGM Deep Cycle 12V 155ah each Sla Solar and Golf Rechargeable Battery
The next battery on our list is also an AGM battery, the QTY 4 VMAX SLR155 Vmaxtanks AGM Deep Cycle 12V 155ah each Sla Solar and Golf Rechargeable Battery for Use with Pv Solar Panels Smart Chargers Wind Turbine and Inverters. Here’s why we chose it:
- AGM battery is safe and non-toxic
- Works for 12V, 24V, and 48V systems
- 99% recombination ability with no toxic fumes or gasses
This battery, like the first one, has a lifespan of 10-12 years. However, there are a few caveats to be aware of:
- These batteries are extremely heavy and since the package includes four both delivery and installation may be tricky
- Return shipping costs are not included, so if there’s a problem you will have to pay to return them
- If price is a concern, there are certainly less expensive models on the market
These batteries are reliable and work with a variety of system requirements.
8. 35AH 12V DC DEEPCYCLE SLA SOLAR ENERGY STORAGE BATTERY
The 8 battery on our list is the 35AH 12V DC DEEPCYCLE SLA SOLAR ENERGY STORAGE BATTERY. These are some of the reasons that we chose it:
- Lead-acid battery is affordable if you want to go solar but save money
- Batteries are comparatively lightweight at 23.5 pounds apiece
- Works on 12V systems
There are a few potential downsides to keep in mind here:
- This battery will only work on 12V systems, so if you have a 24V or 48V system this isn’t an option
- Lead-acid battery is toxic and requires careful disposal
- Lower price is offset by the need to replace batteries regularly
If you’re more concerned with short-term costs than long-term ones – and you don’t mind dealing with strict disposal requirements – this is a good, affordable choice.
7. 12V 55Ah AGM Deep Cycle Battery for RENOGY PV SOLAR PANELS
Coming in at 7 on our list is the 12V 55Ah AGM Deep Cycle Battery for RENOGY PV SOLAR PANELS. Here are some of the reasons we chose it:
- Sealed Lead Acid design (SLA) means these batteries are leak free
- Quality materials ensure a long battery life
- Backed by a 60-day money back guarantee and an 18-month warranty
Here are some of the potential downsides of this battery:
- Works with 12V systems but not 24V or 48V
- Fairly heavy at 41.2 pounds
- Low cost may not translate to durability
We like this battery as it provides an affordable version for people who want AGM technology without paying a high price.
6. WindyNation 12V 100 Amp-Hour (240 Minute Reserve Capacity)
Our 6 solar battery is the WindyNation 12V 100 Amp-Hour (240 Minute Reserve Capacity) AGM SLA Deep Cycle VRLA Battery RV, Solar, Wind, Marine, Off – Grid. Here are some of the reasons that it made the cut:
- Portable 12V battery can be used for solar panels, RVs, offshore marine power, and many other uses
- 240-minute reserve capacity is enough for most away-from-home needs
- 99.995% pure lead yields an extremely low discharge rate
This battery has a 10-12 year life according to the manufacturer, but there are a few potential issues:
- Battery posts are made of brass and may not be torqued as tightly as you want
- Good only for a 12V system
- Battery is on the heavy side at over 60 pounds
The portability of this battery depends on your tolerance for carrying 60 pounds of weight around, but it’s a good-quality product.
5. Renogy Deep Cycle Pure GEL Rechargeable 12 Volt 160Ah Battery for Use with Solar Panels, Smart Chargers, and Inverters
Coming in at 5 on our list is the Renogy Deep Cycle Pure GEL Rechargeable 12 Volt 160Ah Battery for Use with Solar Panels, Smart Chargers, and Inverters.
Here’s what we like about it:
- lead calcium grids prevent corrosion and ensure a long service life of 10 years
- Gel technology keeps electrolyte evenly distributed within the battery
- High-security design prevents leaks and the formation of destructive gas, and keeps sparks from reaching the gel
This is a very good product, but there are a few potential downsides to keep in mind:
- This is an extremely heavy battery weighing in at 106 pounds
- Good only for 12V systems
- Price is on the high side for a single battery
This is a high-quality battery if you don’t mind the heavy weight.
4. Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle 12v 125ah SLA rechargeable Battery
The 4 battery on our list is the Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle 12v 125ah SLA rechargeable Battery for Use with Pv Solar Panels, Smart chargers wind Turbine and Inverters. Here are some of the reasons that it makes our list:
- Easy to connect hex screw-in terminals
- Military grade construction
- 8-10 year float service life offsets the price
Here are a few things that we think could be better about this product:
- Connecting cables are not included, so you’ll have to supply those
- This is a fairly heavy battery at 70 pounds
This is a very good battery despite its high weight.
3. ExpertPower EXP12200 12 Volt 20 Ah Rechargeable Battery With Threaded Terminals
Coming in at 3 on our list is the ExpertPower EXP12200 12 Volt 20 Ah Rechargeable Battery With Threaded Terminals. Here are a few of the things we like about this battery:
- Sealed lead-acid battery has AGM technology for added security
- Works on all 12V systems
- Lightweight battery is very portable compared to other models
Of course, there are a few potential downsides. They are:
- Lead-acid batteries require special disposal due to toxicity
- Good only for 12V systems
This battery doesn’t have the longevity of some of the other batteries on our list, but its affordable price and light weight make it a bargain.
2. 12V 100Ah SLA AGM Battery for Off Grid Solar Panels – Mighty Max Battery brand product
Coming in second on our list is the 12V 100Ah SLA AGM Battery for Off Grid Solar Panels – Mighty Max Battery brand product. Here are some of the things we like about it:
- Sealed-lead battery with AGM technology is hands-off and maintenance-free
- Resistant to shocks and vibrations
- Backed by 30-day refund and a 1-year guarantee
There are a few things that could be better, such as:
- The battery comes with screws but not with a wire harness or mounting accessories
- Good only for 12V systems
- At 60 pounds, this is very heavy for a sealed-lead battery
The affordable price of this battery makes it a good choice for 12V systems.
1. Universal UB121000-45978 12v 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12V 24V 48V(Black)
Our number one solar battery is a versatile one – the Universal UB121000-45978 12v 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12V 24V 48V (Black). Here are some of the reasons it tops our list:
- This battery works for 12V, 24V, and 48V systems
- Less than 3% per month standing self-discharge
- Leak-proof design offers peace of mind and long life
There isn’t much we don’t like about this particular battery, but here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- Bolt-on design renders these batteries less portable than others on the list
- At 60 pounds, they are on the heavy side
- They work best if kept at half-power or more
On the whole, we love these batteries. They’re versatile and long-lasting, and they require very little in the way of maintenance.
Whether you have already switched your house to solar power or are just getting ready to make the switch, it’s important to have the right batteries. Power storage allows you to get off the grid if necessary and to keep your essential appliances running in the event of a power outage. The 10 batteries on this list are reliable, durable, and sure to give you what you need.