Nobody likes mosquitoes. These whiny, biting pests are the bane of many a backyard barbecue and outdoor party, and if you live in an area where they are abundant, then you need to have a way to keep them away from your family and guests.
You could opt for a low-tech choice like bug spray or citronella candles, but why do that when you can get a mosquito killer machine that will take the annoying insects out for good?
Since we know it can be a challenge to sort through product reviews and compare products, we’ve decided to take the guesswork out of it. With that in mind, we’ve assembled a list of the 10 best mosquito killer machines on the market. Before we reveal our picks, let’s go over some of the key features you should keep in mind before buying one.
What to Look for in a Mosquito Killer Machine
Mosquito killer machines, also sometimes sold as bug zappers or mosquito traps, come in a variety of styles and at different price points. Here are some things you should consider:
- Most mosquito killer machines have lights attached to help attract mosquitos. They may include lights that are visible to the human eye as well as lights that are not. Some very sophisticated traps have oscillating lights that are proven to attract mosquitos, while others use blue light systems or night lights.
- The next key component is which attractants the mosquito trap uses. Mosquitos are attracted to people, at least in part, because of the way we smell. One of the most effective attractants is a substance known as Octenol, which was invented to prevent sleeping sickness in African cows. Some traps use carbon dioxide – which we exhale when we breathe – as an attractant, as well.
- Some systems have a dedicated CO2 component that releases a slow, steady stream of carbon dioxide to attract mosquitos. These can be programmed and adjusted to the settings that are best suited to your yard.
- Heat is another key component of mosquito killer machines. Since mosquitos are attracted to body heat, there is usually a small heating element near the mosquito intake area of the trap to draw them in.
- The next thing to consider is the capture method, which can vary widely from machine to machine. Some machines use a vacuum mechanism to suck mosquitos in. Some use a combination that includes a vacuum and a liquid trap to drown the mosquitos. Some use sticky strips like flypaper.
- The power source of the trap you choose is another thing to consider. Some run with propane tanks, while others simply plug into an electrical outlet. You’ll have to consider your personal preferences and safety when making a choice.
- The effectiveness of any trap is a key concern. Many of the traps on our list provide statistics and other data to help you evaluate their effectiveness and know what to expect when you buy them.
- Finally, you’ll need to think about how much you are willing to spend. As is the case with any product, sometimes spending a bit more up front is more cost-effective than buying a cheap model and having to replace it frequently. We’ve included machines at every price point on our list.
Best Mosquito Killer Machines in 2020
Last update on 2020-05-30 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APINow that you understand the key features to keep in mind, it’s time to review our picks for the 10 best mosquito killer machines. Here they are.
10. Dynatrap Ultralight Insect and Mosquito Trap
The first machine that makes our list is the Dynatrap Ultralight Insect and Mosquito Trap. Here are a few of the reasons we chose it:
- This small and affordable machine protects covered areas up to 300 square feet, making it perfect for your porch or patio
- Chemical and odor-free so it’s kid and pet friendly
- Attracts other annoying flying insects such as moths and fruit flies
This product is good, but here are a few things we think could be better:
- The lights on it are not very bright and therefore not ideal for use in a well-lighted area
- This trap is small and intended for use indoors or in covered areas
- It’s not big enough to protect an entire yard
If you’re in the market for a small mosquito killer that you can use indoors or on your covered deck, this is a good choice for the money.
9. Viatek Products Mini Mosquito Trap
The #9 pick on our list is the Viatek Products Mini Mosquito Trap. Here are a few of the reasons that we like it:
- Uses non-toxic, ultraviolet light and CO2 to attract insects
- Small trap is portable and perfect for camping trips and outings
- This is a quiet trap – no zapping or frying noises
This is a great little trap, but here are a few potential negatives to consider:
- This trap is very small and thus best suited for use indoors or to protect a small outdoor area like a campsite or patio
- The trap itself requires you to add soapy water every day to drown the mosquitos
- May not work as well on Texan tiger mosquitos and large mosquitos like the ones in the Pacific Northwest
If you want a small trap that you can take with you, this little unit might be just what you need.
8. Non-toxic Mosquito Trap, Fochea Electronic UV Light Lamp
Coming in at #8 on our list is the Non-toxic Mosquito Trap, Fochea Electronic UV Light Lamp. These are just a few of the reasons that we selected it:
- This trap protects up to 400 square feet and may be used indoors or outdoors
- This is a non-toxic, odor-free trap that is eco-friendly and safe for use near children and pets
- The trap itself holds thousands of mosquitos so you will not have to empty it frequently
There are a few potential cons to consider before buying this trap:
- The blue light is faint and is best used away from other light sources
- Does not come with a wall adapter so you’ll need a USB cord to plug it in
- The fan is a bit on the noisy side, which may not be ideal for indoor use
On the whole, this is a nice option if you’re in the market for a non-toxic trap that you won’t have to monitor over time.
7. Hoont Indoor / Outdoor 3-Way Mosquito and Fly Trap with Stand
At #7 on our list is the Hoont Indoor / Outdoor 3-Way Mosquito and Fly Trap with Stand. These are the reasons that it made the cut for our list:
- Traps mosquitos and other insects – including flies, gnats, and beetles – without harsh chemicals
- Machine is quiet, efficient, and easy to clean, featuring a removable tray that you can wash with soap and water
- No unpleasant aroma as is the case with some traps, so it’s perfect for indoor use, too
As you might expect, there are also a few things that could be better:
- The manufacturer says that adding attractant is optional, but it really works best if you add beer or fruit juice to attract insects
- This trap is on the expensive side compared to others on the market
- Traps other insects as well as mosquitos, so if you want to leave the moths alone choose another trap
If you’re looking for a small trap to keep your area free of flying pests, then this option may be for you if you’re willing to add attractant.
6. Hausbell Nontoxic Mosquito Trap
Our #6 pick is the Hausbell Nontoxic Mosquito Trap. Here are just a few of the things we love about it:
- This trap runs using a blue LED light and a fan to trap bugs
- Quiet enough for use in a bedroom and the light is not bright enough to keep you awake
- Non-toxic and safe for use indoors or outdoors
No product is perfect, and here are some things we think could be better about this product:
- If you’re looking for a dedicated mosquito killer, be aware that this trap will also catch moths, beetles, and other insects
- Best for killing small mosquitos, but not ideal for larger species like the ones in Washington and Oregon
- It probably won’t rid your yard of mosquitos, but it can trap and kill quite a few of them
This is a great trap if you want to keep mosquitos out of your bedroom at night.
Read more: Top 10 Best Electric Mosquito Traps in 2020
5. Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer
The #5 pick on our list is the Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer. Here are some of the factors that contributed to its appearance on our list:
- You’ll notice a big difference within hours of setting this trap up – it does a great job of attracting and trapping mosquitos
- Octenol attractant is perfect for traditional mosquitos (the ones that come out at dusk)
- This is a large trap that can hold a ton of mosquitos before you must empty it
This is an efficient mosquito killer, but here are a few things that could be better:
- This trap does not come with a stand, so you’ll have to hang it up on a plant hanger or post
- Do not hang it near where you’ll be sitting unless you want the mosquitos to find you quickly – it attracts them, so keep it at least 25 feet away
- The included power cord is very short, so you’ll need to be an outdoor extension cord to plug it in (most cords for Christmas lights work well)
On the whole, this is a very effective trap if you don’t mind the Octenol and having to buy a stand and power cord.
4. KOODER Bug Zapper, Mosquito Killer Lamp
Coming in at #4 on our list is the KOODER Bug Zapper, Mosquito Killer Lamp. Here are some of the major reasons we chose it for our list:
- This trap is noise-free, non-toxic, and energy-efficient, and can double as a night light
- Perfect for indoor use – plugs right into the wall
- Quiet enough to use in a bedroom
Here are a few things that we think could be better about this mosquito killer:
- The vents are a little on the large side for small insects – mesh would be better
- No instructions are included with the trap
- This is a very small trap and not ideal for large areas
If you’re looking for a small indoor trap to get the mosquitos in a single room, this is an effective and affordable option.
3. Ylovetoys Non-toxic Mosquito Killer Lamp
Our #3 pick is the Ylovetoys Non-toxic Mosquito Killer Lamp. We like it for the following reasons:
- Large trap can hold thousands of mosquitos before needing to be emptied
- No chemicals, radiation or other harmful materials – safe for use near children and pets
- The light turns off and on automatically based on the amount of daylight so you don’t have to worry about turning it on
There’s a lot to like about this trap, but here are a couple of potential caveats:
- This trap doesn’t come with a stand, but it works best if elevated 59” to 72” off the ground per the manufacturer
- You’ll need a separate extension cord if you want to use it outside
Overall, we really love this cute lamp for inside the house.
2. GLOUE Bug Zapper Electronic Insect Killer
The #2 pick on our list is the GLOUE Bug Zapper Electronic Insect Killer. Here are a few of the reasons we picked it:
- Small unit is great for inside the house – just plug it in
- No toxic chemicals or foul smells – and a quiet fan
- This unit is affordable and portable
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- This unit is much too small for outdoor use, protecting an area of about 16 square meters per the manufacturer
- You’ll need to use a screwdriver to remove the trap and empty it – otherwise you’ll get a shock of static electricity
If you want a small mosquito killer that doubles as a cute nightlight, this is the product for you.
1. MBOX Mosquito Trap Flying Insect Trap Killer
Finally, our pick for the #1 mosquito killer machine in 2020 is the MBOX Mosquito Trap Flying Insect Trap Killer. This machine does a great job of trapping and
killing mosquitos. Here are just a few of the things we love about it:
- Uses photo-catalyst technology to produce CO2 and water
- Protect up to a 400-square foot area, making it perfect for your backyard
- The light lasts for up to 40,000 hours of use
- Powerful enough to promote a steady reduction in the mosquito population near your home
There really isn’t much we don’t love about this product, but here are a couple of quibbles:
- We’d love it if this were rechargeable so there was no need for an extension cord
- Replacing the trap can be tricky the first few times, although it gets easier with repetition
If you want a powerful trap that can put a dent in the mosquito population and keep you bite-free all summer, this is the trap we recommend.
Mosquitos are a pain, but with the right trap, you can ensure that your summer nights are fun instead of annoying. The ten traps on this list are sure to suit your indoor and outdoor mosquito killing needs.