Smoking enthusiasts enjoy the concept of closely monitoring the whole process for hours on end. Classic smokers do have a certain appeal to them but electric smokes offer a more convenient way to smoke all types of foods.
Because an electric smoker does not use charcoal, they are much safer to set and forget. They are designed to work independently and unattended the moment it is set by the user. It does not need to be monitored at all but in order to maximize the flavor, it is recommended to check the product from time to time.
It is true that electric smokers do produce a different kind of flavor. Some prefer it over the one produced by a gas or pellet smoker. The absence of combustion gasses makes the flavor a bit different. For our list, we picked 10 different electric smokers that will provide excellent flavor and will not produce excellent flavor without combustion. Here is what we picked for our list of the top 10 best electric smokers.
Best Electric Smokers in 2018
Table of Contents
- 10. Smoke Hollow D4015RS 40-Inch Digital Electric Smoker
- 9. Landmann 32948 Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
- 8. Smoke Hollow 30162EW 30-Inch Electric Smoker
- 7. Masterbuilt 20073716 Portable Electric Smoker
- 6. Southern Country Smokers 2 in 1 Electric Water Smoker
- 5. Smoke Hollow 30162E 30-Inch Electric Smoker
- 4. Masterbuilt 20077116 4-Rack Digital Electric Smoker
- 3. Masterbuilt 20077615 Digital Electric Smoker
- 2. Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker
- 1. Masterbuilt 20071117 30″ Digital Electric Smoker
- Things to keep in mind when looking for the best electric smokers
10. Smoke Hollow D4015RS 40-Inch Digital Electric Smoker
Smoke Hollow makes several professional-grade electric smokers. The D4015RS is larger than most of their models with a capacity of 4.5 cubic feet that makes it usable for both commercial domestic use. It is more expensive, but it compensates with reliability.
The smoker is made as a 40-inch cabinet with 4 trays for the food. It has an integrated meat probe that will help test the product. A useful feature is the dual heating elements that provide more even cooking.
As far as smoking options go, the Smoke Hollow has a cold, hot and fast smoke. The water port on the side makes it very easy to fill while the wood chip drawer has a rather decent capacity.
- 3 smoking options
- Large wood chip tray
- Integrated meat probe
- Large digital display and simple controls
9. Landmann 32948 Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
Landmann 32948 electric smoker makes it easy and affordable to smoke meats at home. It is a small 26-inch cabinet with a sturdy enclosure and a very straightforward design. The low-price tag makes it a difficult to beat smoker in terms of value.
The smoker has 3 trays of foods and bottom mounted recipients for the wood chips and water. It does not have a lot of options in terms of smoking, but it works quite well and does not need much attending.
Build quality is decent. It is made mostly out of iron which does mean it is a bit heavy, but it has side handles for easier transportation. The feet are adjustable, so it can stand properly on even surfaces. On the door, the smoker has a small temperature controller and a large handle.
- 3 large trays and individual pans for water and wood chips
- Rear mounted vent port
- Adjustable feet for uneven surfaces
- Temperature controller
8. Smoke Hollow 30162EW 30-Inch Electric Smoker
Smoke Hollow 30162EW is a great pick for the ones that would like to make their own smoked foods at home. It is a simple smoker with just enough controls and options. Everything about it is made to be easy.
The smoker uses a 1500 watt heating element paired with a temperature control dial. It has a large glass door that makes it easy to see the progress of the smoking process. The wood chip box is decently large and easy to access.
In terms of construction, the smoker is made mostly out of iron with a large glass door. It has two handles on the side that make it easier to lift and move around and a temperature control dial placed right onto the door.
- Large glass door
- Durable iron construction
- 3 cooking grids and a large wood chip pan
- Adjustable temperature and built-in air vent
7. Masterbuilt 20073716 Portable Electric Smoker
Masterbuilt 20073716 portable electric smoker is exactly what its name states. It is a compact smoker that also comes with a low price tag. Being compact means that it is also lighter and easier to move around.
The smoker uses a 1400 watt heating element paired with a simple temperature control dial. To help control the temperature better, the smoker has been fitted with a side mounted air vent. Also, it allows for 3 temperature settings and comes with 2 chromed racks.
In order to make it portable, the legs of the smoker are foldable. It has side handles for easy transportation and a relatively small form factor for an electric smoker. It can hold a decent amount of wood chips and comes with an individual water pan.
- Portable with side mounted handles and folding legs
- Two chromed smoking racks
- Easy to transport and move around
- Low, medium and high heat settings
6. Southern Country Smokers 2 in 1 Electric Water Smoker
Southern Country Smokers electric water smoker is by far their most popular product. It is a simple 2-in-1 smoker that can also be used as a grill. It offers 351 square inches of cooking space and 2 chromed smoking racks.
To ensure optimal smoking conditions, the product comes with a built-in temperature gauge. It has two sides mounted air vents and a bottom tray for wood chips. There is no separate water tray like with other electric smokers.
Despite being made from steel and iron, the smoker is reasonably lightweight. It can be considered quite portable. The smoker itself uses a 1500-watt heating element. The wood chip pan is reasonable in size and the temperature control works quite well.
- Lightweight but durable steel and iron construction
- Can be used as a grill and smoker
- Removable interlocking base and elements
- 1500-watt heating element with temperature control
5. Smoke Hollow 30162E 30-Inch Electric Smoker
Smoke Hollow 30162E is quite similar to their EW with the exception that it does not have a glass door. The advantage comes from the fact that the iron door retains heat better which in turns means better heat control.
The model uses a 1500-watt heating element. It has 2 smoking grids and offers 3 temperature settings. The rear-mounted vents help control the heat and provide proper ventilation. Its temperature dial has been mounted on the door for easier access.
As far as practicality goes, the smoker comes with two handles mounted on the sides. It needs to be assembled but the process is easy and properly explained in the manual. The water pan is porcelain coated to make it long lasting while the wood chip tray is made of steel.
- 1500-watt heating element
- 3 temperature settings
- Magnetic door latch
- Porcelain-coated water pan, steel wood chip tray
4. Masterbuilt 20077116 4-Rack Digital Electric Smoker
Masterbuilt 20077116 digital electric smoker is more of a professional grade unit designed for regular home users. Even if it has a small 800-watt heating element, it can maintain a constant temperature that can go as high as 275 degrees F.
The unit has temperature controls mounted on the front side but it also comes with a small RF remote that can be used to control all its functions. It can monitor meat temperature, turn the light on or off and it can track time.
As far as smoking space goes, the model has 3 chromed grates. It uses individual trays for the wood chips and water and requires almost no maintenance at all. The door comes with a large glass window that allows the user to check the progress of the smoking process.
- Can smoke up to 80 pounds of food
- Maintains temperatures as high as 275 degrees F
- Large glass window
- Includes a small RF remote
3. Masterbuilt 20077615 Digital Electric Smoker
Masterbuilt 20072115 electric smoker aims to make smoking at home both easy and efficient. It uses an 800-watt heating element that can maintain temperatures of up to 275 degrees F and comes with a built-in meat probe that makes it easier to get perfectly smoked foods every single time.
The smoker features a small RF remote control that can be used to access all its settings and features including the interior light. The unit has a small LCD display that shows current temperature and running time.
According to the manufacturer, the model offers a cooking surface of up to 721 square inches spread over 4 chromed grates. The unit also comes with a small smoking recipe CD and a cover for the smoker.
- RF remote that can be used to fully control the smoker
- Large glass window on the door
- 4 chromed grates for a total cooking surface of 721 square inches
- Built-in meat probe
- Small LCD screen to display temperature and running time
2. Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker
Char-Broil deluxe digital electric smoker is a premium product but has a reasonable price tag. The unit comes with a large stainless-steel door with a glass window and an LCD screen placed on the top frame. Using the smoker is very straightforward as it was designed for regular domestic use.
The smoker offers multiple heat settings that can be set by the user at any given time. Inside the unit, the manufacturers placed a removable thermometer and separated trays for water and wood chips.
Like most other smokers, the unit can maintain a given temperature without any issues with the aid of its double-wall construction. The steel door and locking latch allow it to get a tight seal while the LCD screen makes it easy to check the current temperature and running time.
- Secure latch for proper sealing
- Double-wall construction
- Advanced control panel with LCD screen
- 4 chromed grades for a total of 725 square inches
1. Masterbuilt 20071117 30″ Digital Electric Smoker
Masterbuilt 20071117 is by far the most popular smoker picked for our list. It has a simple design with an all-black metal enclosure and easy to reach controls and LCD screen. It is not as large as some of the other models on our list but it is also quite inexpensive.
The smoker comes with 4 chromed smoking racks and an adjustable air damper. It is capable of evenly cooking meats without requiring much surveillance. The wood chips can be feed using the side loading system without opening the smoker door.
As far as settings go, the control panel can be used to set the temperature, time or turn the smoker on and off. The body of the smoker is fully insulated, and the legs are adjustable so that it can sit on uneven surfaces.
- Fully insulated enclosure
- Has multiple temperature settings
- 4 chromed smoking racks
- Integrated thermostat and side wood chip feeding system
Things to keep in mind when looking for the best electric smokers
Everyone loves smoked meat. It has a flavor that is impossible to dislike. If it is a home-smoked meat, the flavor can be controlled better by experimenting with different types of spices and wood chips.
In order to be able to properly experiment it is important to get a suitable and decent electric smoker. They all work the exact same way but there are some differences that set them apart and some of them might prove to be critical when it comes to obtaining evenly cooked meat and proper flavor.
- Wood chip tray capacity. The capacity of the wood chip tray is something that almost no manufacturer mentions but it can play an important role. As the tray is usually placed inside, refilling it means tampering with the meat since the door has to be opened. Some smokers have a side feeding system that makes it possible to add wood chips without opening the door.
- Temperature control. It is important to get a smoker with multiple temperature settings. Not all meats are cooked the same and may need different temperatures. Also, the flavor can be different for the same type of meat when a different temperature is used.
- Cooking surface. By cooking surface, we mean the number of grates the smoker has. Most smokers have 3 grates which should be enough.
A smoker may not be a mandatory appliance for a lot of people but for enthusiasts, it is a must. The ones that like to cure and prepare their meat at home will love getting into this craftsmanship. It is not that expensive to get started with, but it does require a bit of time to experiment with mixes of spices, meat types and various types of woods.
For a beginner, a smaller smoker is recommended. It is better to experiment using small quantities of meat before upgrading to something bigger. However, even for a large family, even a small smoker is big enough which means that basically, any smoker from our list can be considered suitable.