Are you a frequent international traveler? Maybe you’re planning your first overseas trip and trying to plan what to bring. Either way, you need to have the ability to use your electronic devices while you travel.
Whether you need to charge a laptop or cell phone, straighten your hair, or use an electric razor, you need to have an adapter to use your electronics and appliances while you travel. The plugs that are standard in the United States are not standard in other countries. And in fact, they can vary from country to country. An adapter that works in France won’t work in Australia or Japan.
For that reason, it’s important to have a reliable travel power adapter to bring with you. It can be hard to know what you need, so we’ve done the legwork for you and compiled this list of the top 10 best travel power adapters in 2018.
Table of Contents
- What to Look for in a Travel Power Adapter
- 10. Iron-M Universal Travel Adapter
- 9. SublimeWare International Travel Power Plug Adapter
- 8. UPPEL Worldwide Travel Adapter
- 7. Ceptics International Travel Adapter Plug Set
- 6. NEWVANGA Universal All-in-One Travel Adapter
- 5. Ceptics International Worldwide Travel Plug Adapter
- 4. Poweradd Travel Power Adapter Kit
- 3. BESTEK Universal Travel Adapter
- 2. Insten Universal Travel Adapter Plug
- 1. Ceptics All-In-One International Travel Plug Adapter
- Things to keep in mind when looking for the best travel power adapters
What to Look for in a Travel Power Adapter
Before we list our top 10 picks for travel power adapters, let’s talk about some of the features you should be looking for when you make a purchase.
- The first thing to consider is where you plan to travel. Voltage requirements (and outlet shapes) vary from country to country. For example, you’ll need a different adapter if you’re traveling to the UK than you would for most of Europe. China’s outlets are different from many other Asian countries.
- You also need to consider whether you need an adapter or a converter. Many units operate as both. In general, if you are using a small appliance that includes a heating element, you can use a converter or a transformer. Electronic devices that use chips – such as computers and cell phones – usually require a transformer.
- You should consider the wattage of the devices you need to use. Typically, hair dryers and other electrical devices with a heating element have a high wattage, so you need to make sure that the adapter you buy will work for your particular needs.
- Finally, think about the size and weight of the adapter you buy. Some of the items on our list are kits that include adapters for many countries. Since you’ll have to carry what you buy, make sure to take a look at the product’s specifications before you commit.
That takes care of the product specifications and features to keep in mind when you buy. Now let’s take a look at our top 10 best travel power adapters in 2018.
Best Travel Power Adapters in 2018
|Universal Travel Adapter, HAOZI All-in-one International Power Adapter 2.4A Dual USB, European Adapter Travel Power Adapter Wall Charger UK, EU, AU, Asia Covers 150+Countries (Blue)|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Power Plug Adapter - International Travel - w/4 USB Ports Work for 150+ Countries - 220 Volt Adapter - Travel Adapter Type C Type A Type G Type I f for UK Japan China EU Europe European By SublimeWare|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Travel Adapter Uppel Dual USB All-in-one Worldwide Travel Chargers Adapters for US EU UK AU about 151 countries Wall Universal Power Plug Adapter Charger with Dual USB and Safety Fuse (Green)|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Ceptics Adapter Plug Set for World Wide International Travel Use - Grounded Safe - Works with Cell Phones, Chargers, Batteries, Camera, and More|
|Buy on Amazon|
|NEWVANGA International Universal All in One Worldwide Travel Adapter Wall Charger AC Power Plug Adapter with Dual USB Charging Ports for USA EU UK AUS European Cell Phone Laptop|
$11.95Save 15% ($2.04)
|Buy on Amazon|
|Ceptics International Worldwide Travel Plug Adapter 5 Piece Set, Great for Cell Phones, Battery Chargers, Laptops to Work in Most Countries|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Poweradd Travel Power Adapter Kits - Dual 2.4A USB Ports + 2 Outlets Wall Charger with Worldwide Wall Plugs for UK, US, AU, Europe & Asia, Gift Pouch Included - UL Listed|
|Buy on Amazon|
|BESTEK Universal Travel Adapter 220V to 110V Voltage Converter with 6A 4-Port USB Charging and UK/AU/US/EU Worldwide Plug Adapter|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Insten Universal World Wide Travel Charger Worldwide Adapter Plug For iPhone X / iPhone 8, LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ S8 Plus, White|
$7.79Save 13% ($1.20)
|Buy on Amazon|
10. Iron-M Universal Travel Adapter
Iron-M may be a rather unknown brand but their products are surely more than decent. Their universal travel adapter is a simple solution for the ones that like to travel a lot. It is not that expensive and it is well constructed and reliable.
Because it is an all-in-one adapter, it works in over 150 countries around the globe. The plugs simply slide out by pushing small dials placed on the side of the adapter. It is a bit larger than a regular individual adapter but it makes things a whole lot easier by not having to think which adapter to pack.
The adapter is made with a stylish plastic enclosure. It has a built-in internal fuse that protects the connected devices and it is RoHS certified. The adapter also features USB ports on the side which can be used to charge mobile devices.
- All-in-one adapter, works in over 150 countries
- Has USB ports for mobile devices
- Built-in fuse to protect devices
- Lifetime warranty
9. SublimeWare International Travel Power Plug Adapter
SublimeWare international travel power plug adapter is a great option for the ones that do not want to bother too much. It is basically an all-in-one device that will work almost anywhere around the world.
The adapter has sliding plugs which makes it easy to travel with even if it is larger. All the plugs are hidden inside the device. On one of the sides, the adapter features 4 USB ports that can be used to charge mobile devices simultaneously.
In terms of construction, the device has a plastic but durable enclosure and sturdy plugs. The device also has locks for the pins so that they do not come out and clear instructions written on it. The adapter is quite affordable but it is worth noting that it is significantly larger than individual adapters.
- All-in-one universal adapter
- Retractable pins with locking mechanism
- Features 4 USB ports for mobile devices
- Works in over 150 countries
8. UPPEL Worldwide Travel Adapter
UPPEL worldwide travel adapter is the ideal device for the ones that travel a lot. It solves a great problem by not having to think about what type of adapter to get since it is an all-in-one device. It will work in more than 150 countries around the globe.
The adapter features sliding pins that can be locked into place. This makes it much safer to use and easier to pack since the pins are hidden inside. The adapter also features two USB ports placed on one of the sides that can be used to power smartphones and tables.
For extra safety, the adapter was fitted with a 6.3 amp fuse that will protect the devices from shorts or power fluctuations. The adapter has a fairly sturdy construction and comes with a standard 12 month warranty offered by the manufacturer.
- Designed to work in over 150 countries
- Built-in safety fuse
- 2 USB ports to charge smartphones and tablets
- Locking retractable pins
7. Ceptics International Travel Adapter Plug Set
The Ceptics travel adapter plus set is a very useful choice for travelers even and maybe even better than the all-in-one devices. Because it consists of 5 individual adapters, when traveling, only the required adapter needs to be packed which is easier to travel with than with a large universal adapter.
The kit includes 5 individual adapters which should cover almost all popular destinations. All of them are sturdy and well-made while still being as compact as possible. Also, the kit includes a small carry pouch that can hold all adapters if needed.
In terms of value for money, the set is quite inexpensive. Even if they might not look too fancy, they get the job done. The pins are sturdy and the plastic enclosure is quite hard and very difficult to break.
- Compact individual adapters
- Comes with a carry pouch
- Durable and reliable construction
- Includes adapters for the vast majority of destinations
6. NEWVANGA Universal All-in-One Travel Adapter
NEWVANGA universal travel adapter is a must have accessory for the ones that travel abroad. Its all-in-one design makes it a universal adapter that can be used almost anywhere around the world. It eliminates the need to check what type of adapter to buy and pack.
The adapter is stated to work in more than 150 countries around the glove. It has sliding pins that can be locked into place and makes it easier to pack. For safety reasons, the adapter has been equipped with a fuse that is mean to protect the devices plugged into it.
Adding even more usefulness to the device, two USB ports have been placed on the side of the adapter. It can be used to charge two smartphones or tablets at the same time. The adapter itself is well built and not as large as some of the other models available.
- Built-in safety fuse to protect connected devices
- 2 USB ports for mobile devices
- Sliding pins with locking mechanism
- Inexpensive and with a 24-month warranty
5. Ceptics International Worldwide Travel Plug Adapter
Ceptics international travel adapter set is one of the cheapest products that were selected for our list. It is a kit that consists of 5 individual adapters. The adapters themselves were made to be very compact so that they take almost no luggage space.
The model comes as a kit with individual adapters and a small pouch to carry them. The 5 adapters should work in almost all countries around the globe. All of them have written on them the countries in which they work to make things even easier.
In terms of quality, the power adapters are decent. They feel sturdy and durable despite being so small and compact. The adapters are also RoHS compliant and CE Approved. Last but not least, the kit includes a lifetime warranty.
- Individual adapters, 5 in total
- RoHS compliant, CE approved
- Lifetime warranty offered by the manufacturers
- Includes a small carry pouch
4. Poweradd Travel Power Adapter Kit
Poweradd Travel Power Adapter kit is arguably a quite practical model that has a fairly different design. Unlike the regular all-in-one models, this one has pins that can be swapped out depending on what type is needed.
The kit consists of the main adapter unit and 5 pin sets that can be swapped whenever needed. It can be used in almost all countries around the world but because the pins are removable, not all of them will need to be packed when traveling. It is still a large adapter when compared to individual ones.
What sets it apart is the fact that the adapter has two outlets instead of one so that more devices can be connected at the same time. It also has 2 USB ports for smartphones and tablets and built-in surge protection.
- Swappable pins
- 2 USB ports for mobile devices
- Works in most countries around the globe
- 2 power outlets
3. BESTEK Universal Travel Adapter
BESTEK universal travel adapter can be considered a premium model at least in terms of features when it is compared to other adapters. It is also quite large and will take a bit of luggage space which is quite vital for travelers that only take a backpack.
What sets it apart is the fact that the adapter has 3 outlets unlike regular adapters that have just one. It also has 4 USB ports that can be used to charge smartphones and tablets. The adapter itself is plugged into a wall using a cord extender that goes into 1 of the 3 included adapters.
With the included adapters, the product can be used in more than 150 countries around the globe. The model has a built-in short protection, over-load protection and over-heat protection. The manufacturers offer a 24-month warranty for their product.
- Over-heat, over-load and short-circuit protection
- Has 3 outlets and 4 USB ports
- Works in over 150 different countries
- Long detachable power cable
2. Insten Universal Travel Adapter Plug
Insten Universal travel adapter offers great value for money. It is an inexpensive product that is both compact and quite practical. Compared to other all-in-one adapters, this particular model is a bit smaller and thus a bit more convenient to travel with.
The unit has 3 plug types that are hidden inside. They need to be pulled out only when needed. They also have a locking mechanism to prevent them from sliding out accidentally. While others have 5 adapter types, this model has 3 but it can still be used in most countries around the world.
As far as other features go, the model has an LED indicator and protective shutter doors to protect it from foreign objects entering inside. It also reduces the changes of electric shocks.
- Retractable pins
- LED indicator to show which adapter is in use
- Built-in protective shutter doors to prevent electric shocks
- Quite compact and easy to travel with
1. Ceptics All-In-One International Travel Plug Adapter
Ceptics all-in-one international travel plug is a great pick for the ones that are looking for a practical product. It is not that expensive, and it is reasonably small. The product was designed to work in most countries around the world.
The model has a slider that need to be pushed to select between the adapter types. When the slider is pushed, the pins come out of the adapter. On one of the sides, the adapter features 2 USB ports that can be used to charge smartphones and tablets.
In terms of construction, the adapter is quite compact but feels durable and sturdy. It is CE and RoHS compliant which means that it is both safe and reliable. The device has a reasonable price tag and comes with a 24-month warranty.
- Compact and sturdy construction
- Works in almost all countries around the world
- Comes with 2 USB ports for mobile devices
- CE and RoHS compliant
Things to keep in mind when looking for the best travel power adapters
Travel adapters are a must for everyone that is thinking of visiting a foreign country. They need to be small, easy to travel with and reliable. Since there are several different standards around the globe, owning just one type of adapter might not be ideal.
When it comes to choices, there are plenty and there are several variations for power adapters, making some more interesting than others. To get a clear picture of how they are different and why some may be better than others for some individuals, we listed a few key points that need to be taken into consideration.
- All-in-one or individual. All-in-one adapters make it easier for the ones that do not want to bother much when it comes to knowing what type they should pack. However, they are larger than individual ones which are much more convenient to take on a trip.
- With or without USB ports. USB ports can be useful mainly because they eliminate the need to pack a dedicated charger for a smartphone or tablet. Basically, they save luggage space.
- Built-in protection. Protection is usually something with which it is not worth it to be concerned about. Protection is rarely needed but it never hurts to have it.
Travel power adapters are a must have accessory for pretty much anyone that is planning to visit a foreign country. A lot of tourists forget to buy one before leaving and they end up having to get an adapter when they reach their hotel. They are much more expensive in airports or hotels.
Since there are all-in-one adapters and individual ones, the choice is not that difficult. What is important is to not pay an unreasonably high price for a simple power adapter. There are premium models that have extra perks and features which does increase their price tag but there are also cheap ones that are just as good. We included in our list more than enough model variations for everyone.