By now, everyone should at least heard of hoverboards. They have managed to get a lot of attention and even if there were a few issues with the original model, hoverboards never went away. Batteries have improved, the design was tweaked and reliability is now where it should have been from the beginning. The competition also moved things forward as now, there are more models available that do not come from the same factory in China. If there was one moment to pick as perfect to buy a hoverboard, this would be it.
Even if there are multiple designs for the hoverboards, they work pretty much the same. They have individual electric motors for each wheel, separated trigger pads, a battery pack and a self-balancing system. Some may have additional quirks such a remote, Bluetooth speakers and front-facing lights. Prices can vary depending on these features and what parts are being used to make the hoverboard. What is important to note is that all the hoverboards now need to have the proper safety approvals in order to be sold mainly because when they were first introduced, many of them had issues with the battery packs.
Also, the ones that never used a hoverboard before should be careful as they can lead to mild injuries. Most users will fall a bit in the beginning until they learn how to ride a hoverboard. For the remaining of the article, we will have a look at 5 different hoverboards. Their pricing will vary quite a bit but so will their features. For our list, we focused only on the most affordable ones. With these things said let’s jump right into our list of recommendation for the top 5 cheapest hoverboards in 2019.
Cheapest Hoverboards List in 2019
Table of Contents
- 5. HOVERZON S Series Self Balance Hoverboard – Most Affordable Hoverboard
- 4. Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard – The Ultimate Ride
- 3. TOMOLOO Hoverboard – Customizable for Gift
- 2. Swagtron T1 Hoverboard – Your swag personal transporter
- 1. Hoverheart Hoverboard – New Fashion Print Coating
- Which Hoverboard To Pick?
5. HOVERZON S Series Self Balance Hoverboard – Most Affordable Hoverboard
The HOVERZON is basically the classic hoverboard with which most people should be familiar. It has simple wheel guards and large rubberized foot pads. The model uses 6.5-inch wheels that make it easier to learn how to ride especially for beginners. To improve balance, the hoverboard also makes use of gyroscopes. Like most other hoverboards, it is UL 2272 certified. One additional feature that will help a lot is the intelligent battery management system that eliminates all kind of problems associated with the cells.
- Smart battery management
- Two riding modes
- 8 mph, 11-mile range
- Quite heavy
Compared to other hoverboards, this model is quite heavy. Usually, a hoverboard is about 16 to 18 pounds. This particular model from HOVERZON is almost 27 pounds. This makes it rather difficult to carry around even when using a proper case with shoulder straps. See more: Top 10 Best Hoverboards in 2019 – Buyer’s guide
4. Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard – The Ultimate Ride
Razor could not stay away from hoverboards and come with their own version. The Hovertrax 2.0 is their improved hoverboard that now comes with better wheel guards, protective rubber strips, and larger foot pads. The model can achieve a speed of 8 mph and the battery pack can offer a run-time of about 60 minutes. For safety reasons, the foot pads now have a rubberized surface. According to Razor, their hoverboard meets all the industry standards in terms of safety and regulations.
- Rubberized pads and wheel guards for better grip
- Front facing lights and battery indicator
- Takes a long time to charge
The charger was made to actually charge the battery a bit slower. This prevents them from heating which is a good thing but it also means that the battery is charged quite slow. It takes a couple of hours to get enough power for a 30-minute ride. See more: Top 10 Best Hoverboard Accessories You Should Have
3. TOMOLOO Hoverboard – Customizable for Gift
TOMOLOO hoverboard is a good pick for pretty much everyone. It is inexpensive and it is quite easy to learn, even for complete beginners. The model uses two 350 watt motors and can reach a maximum speed of 7.5 miles per hour. For the model, the manufacturers used LG cells that can provide enough power for about 60 minutes of run time. The model has red LED front facing lights. One interesting fact is that the unit has gyroscopes which help it stay balanced properly.
- Durable construction
- Rubberized foot pads
- Gyroscope and acceleration sensors
- Inaccurate product description
The box of the hoverboard states that it has Bluetooth and a dedicated app. That is not the case. This particular model does not have either of them. The manufacturer does have such a model with Bluetooth and a mobile app but it is a bit more expensive. It seems that they did not update the product description on the box.
2. Swagtron T1 Hoverboard – Your swag personal transporter
Swagtron T1 is probably the longest lasting hoverboard on our list in the sense that it is one of the oldest. It appeared quite some time ago and it is still selling well. The T1 is an inexpensive hoverboard with 6.5-inch wheels, front facing lights, and large rubberized foot pads. The model can reach a maximum speed of 8 miles per hour and offers a range of 11 miles on a full charge. It runs on two 250 watt motors and gyroscopes to offer a smoother ride.
- 8 mph and 11 miles range
- Rubberized foot pads, battery indicator
- Patented battery protection technology
- Not very durable when it comes to impacts
The hoverboard works very well but it is not as durable as some of the other models on our list that have metal guards. Swagtron used more plastic parts for the housing. Even if the housing is thick, it breaks easier especially the wheel guards. As long as the hoverboard is not heavily abused, it should be just fine.
1. Hoverheart Hoverboard – New Fashion Print Coating
Hoverheart hoverboard is a good pick for the ones that are on a budget. It is the classic hoverboard with the 6.5-inch wheels, wheel guards and front-facing LED lights. The model has special wheel guards that also has mounted some LED lights. This makes it much easier to see in the dark. The model has a colorful print and large black foot pads. It uses a large battery pack and has a built-in speaker. Last but not least the model is UL 2272 certified which means it passed all the safety tests.
- UL 2272 certified
- Built-in speaker and front-facing LED lights
- Paint comes off easily
The design of the hoverboard makes it quite appealing. With the LED lights and the colorful print, the model surely stands out but that is not meant to last. The paint used for the body of the hoverboard is of poor quality. It will peel off after a few months.
Which Hoverboard To Pick?
If up until recently, most hoverboards looked the same but have different branding, things are a bit different now. Shapes, sizes, and technology used are no longer the same since there are more manufacturers and more brands. The question is which one to get? Here are some important pointers to think about:
- Metal or plastic guards and housing? Metal is surely more durable. There are a few models that use metal sheets as wheel guards. The advantage that comes with using more plastic parts is weight. For a child, the hoverboard should not be very heavy.
- Wheel size: Wheel size matters a lot. The 6.5-inch ones are good for beginners but work mostly on flat surfaces such as concrete, pavements, alleys. Some models use 8.5-inch wheels which make it possible to use the hoverboards over the rough or difficult terrain.
- With or without Bluetooth speakers and LED lights: The front-facing LED lights are mandatory and all hoverboards have them. Some have additional LED lights on the wheel guards and feature Bluetooth speakers. While all these things might sound nice for a child, they do drain the battery faster.