These days, most cars come with a tire-pressure monitoring system. This involves sensors that can be direct or indirect. By design, the direct tire pressure sensors are also the most accurate ones. The benefits of having pressure sensors is optimal fuel economy, reduced tire wear and better car stability.
When pressure sensors are absent, the traditional pressure gauge will prove to be the best option and there are two types to choose from. The old, mechanical pressure gauges work quite well and they are very reliable but the digital ones are now much more accurate and significantly easier to use. Today we will have a quick look at what we consider to be the most reliable digital tire pressure gauges.
Best Digital Tire Pressure Gauges in 2019
Most of them are quite inexpensive and all of them use a digital display to show the exact pressure. With these things in mind here are the top 10 best digital tire pressure gauges in 2019.
10. Diyco Elite Series Professional Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
The Diyco Elite Series Professional digital tire pressure gauge may look like a classic mechanical one but it is not. It has a lighted digital display that offers precise measurement and a long flex hose. The gauge is very easy to use but it is a bit more expensive than other digital tire pressure gauges.
- Long flexible hose that should make it easy to read the pressure
- Large digital display
- Lifetime warranty included by default
- The unit is supposed to hold the pressure after it is being disconnected. It seems that is not the case
Despite not being considered a defect, the pressure gauge does not hold the pressure after disconnecting it. Normally it should retain the value measured as expected but it does not. This can be considered a con but it is not an essential feature that might break the deal.
In terms of functionality, the tire pressure gauge has the great advantage of using a long flexible hose. This makes it much easier to get readings even when the pressure valve is difficult to reach. The models that do not have a hose do lose in such situations. It is a nice feature but again it is situational and not everyone will need it.
9. iTavah Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
iTavah digital tire pressure gauge is yet another classic looking model but with a digital display. It has the advantage of using flexible hose that makes it easy to get measurements even at difficult angles. More importantly the gauge can also be used to inflate tires using the valve at the other end.
- Easy to read digital display with four measurement units
- Clip lock that ensures the nozzle will stain in place
- Can be used to inflate or deflate tires without any pressure loss
- Works only with old types of valves. Newer TPMS valves will not work with this gauge
A common problem with this gauge is the fact that it only works with old types of tire valves. A new type of valve was introduced called TPMS which is not supported by this particular gauge but in a way this makes sense. The TPMS valve is used on cars that already have tire pressure valves.
In terms of functionality the gauge uses a flexible hose and an adapter. This makes it work with most types of valves. The digital display is quite large and it makes it quite easy to read the pressure. Last but not least the pressure gauge is fairly affordable and very straight forward to use.
8. AVCS Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
AVCS digital tire pressure gauge has the great advantage of being compact and easy to use. It has a small illuminated display and a range of up to 100 psi. The nozzle for the valve is attached directly to the gauge making it extremely compact and easy to use.
- Can display in 4 different units and has a range of 2 to 100 psi
- Illuminated LCD and nozzle which makes it easy to use even in the dark
- Instant pressure read with no pressure loss
- Tends to be a bit difficult to seal the nozzle onto the valve stem in order to avoid air leaks
The ergonomic design offers a secure grip when holding it and this is an important aspect. The nozzle does not have a system that keeps it properly sealed to the valve. It will prove to be a bit difficult to seal it properly onto the valve stem and avoid pressure losses. It if is pressed hard enough, it should be just fine.
7. Foval 150PSI Car Digital Tire Pressure Air Gauge
Foval car digital tire pressure gauge is a good option for the ones that do not want to spend a lot of money. It is a simple pressure gauge with a decent construction and an illuminated LCD display. The device was designed to be compact, easy to use and work with multiple types of tire valves.
- Low price tag yet it does not feel cheap or poorly made
- Illuminated LCD display that can show the pressure in multiple units
- Compact and easy to use
- A bit slippery despite the fact that the grip was designed to be ergonomic
The pressure gauge from Foval may seem like a very small and not very reliable gadget but that is not the case. It can get accurate readings of tire pressure for up to 150 psi. The nozzle is well made and the fact that the screen is illuminated makes it easy to check the tire pressure even in the dark.
One thing that is wrong with this model is just how slippery it is. The gauge will need to be pressed onto the valve in order to ensure that there are no air leaks but since the handle is slippery, this might prove to be a bit difficult or annoying.
6. Craftsman Programmable Digital Tire Gauge
Craftsman programmable digital tire gauge is a bit different from all other models in the list. According to the manufacturers this is a programmable digital tire gauge which does not mean much. It is a bit misleading but what is important to note is that it has an internal memory and can save multiple readings.
- Can save multiple readings in order to compare all tires
- Large backlit display that is easy to read even in the dark
- Straight-push nozzle without any leaks or pressure loses
- It works for almost all types of valves except for Presta or car tires that have an internal tire pressure sensor
For most part the digital tire pressure gauge is worth the money. In fact it is much more affordable than what most would expect. The nozzle of the gauge should work with most valve but it will have issues with Presta valves. Presta valves are usually used in bicycles.
One thing worth mentioning is the fact that the readings of the gauge are quite accurate. The fact that it can save multiple readings will prove to be useful when checking all the tires. The illuminated screen is also a good to have bonus but most importantly, the gauge is very easy to use and straight forward.
5. JACO FlowPro Digital Tire Inflator Gauge
JACO FlowPro is a bit more advanced than most other tire pressure gauges in our list. It comes with a sturdy flexible hose, multiple attachments for various types of valves and offers excellent accuracy. The gauge features a small digital display that can show multiple measurement units and supports a maximum pressure of 200 psi.
- Classic design, looks like a traditional mechanical pressure gauge
- Built-in air bleeder valve to release pressure from the tire
- Digital display with illumination
- Build quality is decent but some users reported that after some time the gauge shaft started leaking air
FlowPro is a much better pressure gauge when compared with the compact ones. We are talking about better build quality and the fact that it has a flexible hose that makes it so much easier to use. The gauge uses an illuminated digital display and works with almost any type of tire valve.
One problem that is worth mentioning is that the pressure gauge tends to leak air through the gauge shaft. This does tend to happen after quite some time after the internal rubber ring becomes loose due to frequent usage.
4. Accutire MS-4441GB Talking Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
Accutire is a brand that many might have heard of. Their MS-4441GB digital tire pressure gauge is a decently made device with some neat features. What sets it apart is the fact that it has a built-in speaker that reads out the pressure in English and Spanish.
- Built-in speaker that announces the pressure in English and Spanish
- Small digital display that reads the pressure in psi
- Automatic shut-off and ergonomic handle
- The Spanish language announcer does not sound right. English is fine but Spanish seems to be very bad
The fact that it announces the pressure read and shown on the display is great. When it comes to Spanish, the device tends to struggle. It is very unclear, sounds very robotic and it is very difficult to understand. English announcer is very clear and easy to understand.
In terms of pros, the digital tire pressure gauge is well built and has an ergonomic design. The grip makes it easy to get a good hold and maintain good pressure onto the tire valve. The small digital display is not illuminated but it is very easy to read. It only displays the pressure in psi.
3. Ionox Tire Pressure Digital Gauge
Ionox tire pressure digital gauge is a good pick for the ones that need something cheap that can fit into a pocket. It is very small with an illuminated digital display and an illuminated nozzle. It only has one button and it is very easy to use due to its minimalistic design.
- Very easy to use and inexpensive
- Easy to read illuminated display and nozzle
- Very compact. Can fit inside a pocket and can be used with just one hand
- Despite being made very well it is very heavy. The metal body is a plus and a minus at the same time
Saying about a product that it is made mostly out of metal is usually a good thing. This means that it is durable, long lasting and superior in quality. Despite this being the case with the Ionox digital pressure gauge, the device is simply a bit too heavy. It feels like a rock and despite being so small, carrying it in a pocket can be a bit uncomfortable.
Besides being made out of metal, the digital gauge comes with an ergonomic design. The digital display is illuminated and so is the nozzle. It works with most tire pressure valves and it is very easy to use. The gauge comes with a low price tag but it does not work with Presta tire valves.
2. Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
Accutire MS-4021B is one of the best-selling digital tire pressure gauges in our list and for a good reason. It is advertised as a heavy duty gauge but with a very low price tag. The gauge is made out of metal with some plastic elements. It works well and it gives accurate readings every single time.
- Easy to read digital display even if it is not illuminated
- Rubberized grip and universal nozzle that works with all valves except for Presta
- Automatic shutoff to prevent tire deflation
- Nothing worth mentioning
There is almost nothing bad worth mentioning about the device. The build quality using metal and the ergonomic handle and angled design makes it easy to use and long lasting. Not many other digital tire pressure gauges have a rubberized grip.
The device itself can provide extremely accurate readings. It measures the pressure in psi with two decimals and an air pressure range between 5 and 150 psi. The low price tag contributed to its popularity but the fact that it has an automatic shutoff system that prevents pressure leaks puts it ahead many other gauges.
1. TEKTON 5941 Digital Tire Gauge
TEKTON may be a brand that does not sound familiar but their digital tire pressure gauge has been selling quite well. It is a cheap device with a metal body and an ergonomic great that help get accurate readings. The illuminated display and nozzle will prove to be quite useful but the biggest plus is the fact that it does not leak air which would cause the tires to deflate.
- Accurate readings. Can read tire pressure of up to 100 psi
- Illuminated display and nozzle
- Works with all valve types except Presta
- No air pressure leaks
- Nothing worth mentioning
There are many much more expensive digital tire pressure gauges that cost much more but get worst readings and have a not so great build quality. The TEKTON is not only durable with its metal construction but also very reliable as it does not leak pressure and provides accurate readings every single time.
One major plus is the fact that the valve steam gets sealed almost instantly by the nozzle. This reduces the amount of air pressure lost when measuring the tire pressure. Also the design of the handle makes it very easy to use and ensures that the user can apply enough pressure without the gauge slipping from the hand.
What To Look For When Searching For A Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
For most part, all digital tire pressure gauges look the same. The biggest difference is made by the quality of the nozzle and how accurate are the readings. Some models do have some extra useful features but even a simple gauge should be enough. Here are some key points to take into consideration when looking for a digital tire pressure gauge.
- With or without a hose? Having a hose can prove to be useful in some situations. It makes it much easier to read the display since it does not need to be close to the tire valve. However, the ones without a hose are much more compact and easy to store even inside a small pocket.
- Illuminated display and nozzle or without? An illuminated display and nozzle can be useful when a tire pressure gauge is needed when there is no light around. However this feature does eat up the battery.
- Does the psi range matter? For most part, it does not. There are very few situations in which the gauge will be needed to measure more than 100 psi. All gauges in our list read at least 100 psi with some of them going up to 150 psi.