In the warm weather, there are few things more uncomfortable than getting into your car after it has been baking in the hot sun for hours. The air is stifling, the steering wheel is hot to the touch, and the whole experience is enough to make anybody cranky.
If you can’t park in the shade, the next best choice is to invest in a windshield sun shade to keep the worst of the sun out of your car. There are many options available, but before we reveal our picks of the 10 best windshield sun shades, let’s talk about what to look for when you buy one.
What to Look for in a Windshield Sun Shade
What should you look for when you shop for a windshield sunshade? Here are some of the most important features and qualities to keep in mind:
- Size and fit are very important when it comes to choosing a windshield sun shade for your car. After all, the point is to keep the sun out – and you can’t do that if the product you choose doesn’t cover your entire windshield. There are customized options available, but many of the mass-produced products include extra material around the edges so you can be sure to cover your entire windshield.
- The material your windshield sun shade is made from is also important. The best sun shields are made of reflective material that deflects heat rather than absorbing it. You also want the material to be thick enough to stand up to repeated sun exposure.
- There are various styles of windshield sun shades available. Many of them fold or roll into a portable size, and some come with carrying or storage cases. There are also accordion-style sun shades available, and some shades come with designs on them as well. For some people, it’s worth paying a bit extra to get a nice-looking shade that looks good with their car.
- Some windshield sun shades are easier to use than others. Ultimately, you’re not going to want to spend a lot of time wrestling to fold the shade you choose, so it’s a good idea to pick one that’s easy to use.
- Finally, you’ll want to consider the price of the shade you choose. As you might expect, there are some windshield sun shades that are far more expensive than others. We’ve tried to include shades at various price points on our list so there is something for everybody.
Best Windshield Sun Shades For Cars in 2021
Now that you know what to look for in a windshield sun shade, it’s time for us to reveal our picks for the 10 best. Here they are.
Last update on 2021-07-19 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10. Pro Shade Car Windshield Sun Shade
The #10 pick on our list is the Car Windshield Sun Shade from Pro Shade. This is a very good all-purpose shade. Here’s why it made our list:
- UV resistant material is reflective and keeps the sun’s rays from heating up the interior of your car. The material is thick and durable, as well.
- Comes in two sizes, regular and large, so it should fit most vehicles.
- Affordable price means you can get a sun shade for all of your family’s cars.
As you might expect, there are a few potential cons to consider:
- The sun shade is supposed to stay up without help, but in some vehicles, it may work best if you lower the visors to help hold it in place.
- Getting this product out of the bag and set up is easy, but folding it away again is a bit of a challenge and it requires both arms.
- The smaller size may be too small for some vehicles, so make sure to measure before buying.
On the whole, this is an affordable and effective sun shade that can help keep your car cool in the hot weather.
9. Windshield Sun Shade & Baby Sun Shade (2-Piece Set) by KoolZone
Coming in at #9 on our list is the Windshield Sun Shade & Baby Sun Shade from KoolZone. This two-piece set makes our list for the following reasons:
- Comes with a flexible windshield sun shade that should fit most cares, and a set of rear window shades to protect babies and kids in the back seat.
- Reflective material deflects the sun and helps prevent the interior of your car from overheating.
- Durable mesh design is long-lasting and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee.
There are a few potential cons to keep in mind with this product:
- The windshield sun shade is not easy to get back into the storage bag, although it does fold small enough that you can fit it in the side pockets in the front seat.
- The back window baby shields are not particularly attractive, but they are useful if you want to keep the sun off of your baby.
- The shield only comes in one size and may not be big enough for some large SUVs.
The baby sun shades included with this product make it a good bargain and a solid choice for most vehicles.
8. iTavah Windshield Sun Shade
Our #8 pick is the iTavah Windshield Sun Shade. It protects your car from overheating, but we also like it for these reasons:
- Large shade is big enough to fit large SUVs and trucks but flexible enough to be used in compact cars and other small vehicles.
- Comes in two sizes that should fit in most vehicles, large or small.
- Easy-fold design and storage pouch included.
There are a few things that could be better about this sun shade. For example:
- This particular design requires the use of your vehicle’s sun visors to hold it in place.
- While the shade folds easily, it’s important to be careful while doing it so as not to bend the wire frame out of shape.
- May not be big enough for some cars – make sure to measure before ordering.
We particularly like that this shade folds up so easily, which is a problem with other products on the market.
7. Shade-It Windshield Sun Shade with Bonus Products
The #7 pick on our list is the Shade-It Windshield Sun Shade with Bonus Products. Here are some of the reasons it made our list:
- Keeps your car from overheating and shields the interior from UV damage.
- Comes in three sizes to fit everything from compact cars to trucks.
- Easy-to-us retractable design is efficient and simple to store.
While there’s a lot to like about this product, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- The material is sturdy but this isn’t the most fashionable-looking sun shield on the market.
- You’ll need to use your visors to hold the shield in place.
- It is very important to measure your windshield before ordering as this may be too narrow to fit some car models
If you’re looking for an affordable sun shield that is easy to use and store, we recommend this one.
6. X-Shade Jumbo Sun Shade for Car Windshield
The #6 pick on our list is the X-Shade Jumbo Sun Shade for Car Windshield. We like this product for several reasons, including:
- Comes in a total of five sizes and should fit most cars if measured properly.
- Comes with a non-slip pad to store pens and other small items on your dashboard.
- Flips and folds for easy storage.
There are a few potential things to keep in mind before buying this product:
- The sizes here run a bit small, so you should plan on measuring your windshield (including the rearview mirror) and then ordering the next size up for the best results.
- The larger sizes can be difficult to fold.
- While it blocks the light effectively, the fabric could be thicker.
On the whole, this is an affordable option with versatile sizes.
5. EzyShade Car Windshield Sunshade + Bonus Product
Our #5 pick is the EzyShade Car Windshield Sunshade + Bonus Product. Here are some of the reasons it made out a list:
- Design has two overlapping rectangular pieces that combine to give coverage for almost any vehicle.
- This is one of the sleekest, nicest-looking products on our list.
- The product folds easily and comes with a non-slip pad so you can put your cell phone or a pen on your dashboard.
We like almost everything about this product, but here are a few potential cons to consider:
- The folding process takes some getting used to and the product doesn’t come with instructions – however, once you’re used to it, it’s very easy to do.
- Be careful to measure and include extra inches for your rearview mirror.
- The fabric is not as thick as some of the other products in this category.
If you want a sleek-looking windshield sun shade, then this product is a good one to choose.
4. EcoNour Car Windshield Sun Shade
Our #4 pick is the EcoNour Car Windshield Sun Shade. Here are some of the reasons that we chose it:
- Comes in a total of four sizes to fit a variety of vehicles.
- High-quality, durable fabric will stand the test of time.
- Designed to fold and fit easily into the side pocket of your car.
Here are a few potential negatives to consider:
- It is very important to measure your rearview mirror too to ensure you get the right size.
- Folding this product takes some practice.
- Requires the use of your car’s visors to hold the shield in place.
We like the versatile sizing and durability of this product a lot.
3. EPAuto Car Windshield Sun Shade
Coming in at #3 on our list is the EPAuto Car Windshield Sun Shade. We like this shield for several reasons, such as:
- Silver nylon material blocks 99% of UV rays to keep your car as cool as possible.
- Comes in two sizes, compact/midsize and large.
- Folds into a 10-inch circle for easy storage.
There are a few potential downsides to consider:
- The material on this product is thin and may be prone to tearing if you’re not careful.
- Maybe too small for some large trucks and SUVs
- Folding this product is a bit tricky and requires some practice.
On the whole, we like that this product is affordable and folds down to a compact size for storage.
2. Plasticolor 003700R01 Star Wars Accordion Sunshade
The #2 pick on our list is a fun one, and here are some of the reasons we chose it:
- The Star Wars design is fun and allows you to express a bit of personality – and the manufacturer has many other designs if Star Wars doesn’t appeal to you.
- Accordion-style sun shade is super-easy to fold and store.
- Universal size fits many common vehicles.
There are a few potential downsides:
- People who want a plain windshield sun shade should look elsewhere.
- It’s very important to measure since this particular sun shade comes in only one size.
- The design may fade with repeated exposure to the sun.
If you want a fun sun shade that’s got some pizzazz, this one is a good choice.
1. Custom Accessories 17950 2 Piece Solar Shield
Finally, the #1 pick on our list is the Custom Accessories 17950 2 Piece Solar Shield. We love this product for a number of reasons.
- Nylon loop sun shade is in two pieces for easy installation and storage.
- Fits most compact and midsize vehicles.
- Includes a closure band and storage pouch for easy storage.
While we like nearly everything about this product, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- This product comes in only one size, so it’s not ideal for large vehicles.
- We wish that the bands around the edges were a bit more flexible than they are.
- Folding this product into the storage bag is a little tricky.
On the whole, the two-piece design is the main reason that we chose this windshield sun shade as our top pick for 2018.
The key to choosing the right windshield sun shade for your car is to measure carefully, making sure to leave extra room for your rearview mirror. The ten products on this list all offer protection from the sun’s heat and UV rays, keeping your car from overheating and protecting your upholstery.