When it comes to networking equipment the difference between a small business and a home user are not that significant. For wireless networks, routers need to be reliable and should be able to sustain large volumes of traffic.
This does not mean that a small business should invest in routers that cost thousands of dollars. There are mid-range products that can be used successfully by small businesses because of their reliability and security features.
Depending on the layout of your offices or business, you might require a router capable of delivering a strong signal. For added security, it may need its own firewall. The features that you should look for depends on your needs.
But, the following selection of Wi-Fi routers should have you covered. This includes a selection of quality routers for any of your small business needs.
Best Wifi Routers for Small Business in 2019
Here are the top 10 best Wi-Fi routers for small businesses in 2019.
|TRENDnet AC3200 Gigabit Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router, DD-WRT Compatible, Tri-Band, Smart Connect, 1GHz dual core processor, VPN, TEW-828DRU|
|Buy on Amazon|
|High Power AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Router Tenda FH1201||N/A||Buy on Amazon|
|DrayTek Vigor2912n Dual WAN Router for teleworkers and Small Offices|
|Buy on Amazon|
|AFOUNDRY High Power Dual Band Wireless WiFi Router, 1200Mbps Gigabit Computer Router with 6 External Antennas, 3 Processors,Best Enterprise Router for Business,Large Home,Villas||N/A||Buy on Amazon|
|Alfa High-Power Gigabit AC1200 Router- 802.11ac Wide Range WiFi Router, Wireless Up to 1200Mbps + Gigabit LAN/WAN for HD Video Streaming, Gaming & More|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Peplink SUS-SOHO-T Pepwave Surf Soho MK3 Router|
|Buy on Amazon|
|NETGEAR AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Access Point (WAC104-100NAS)|
$66.95Save 4% ($3.04)
|Buy on Amazon|
|Linksys WRT AC1900 Dual-Band+ Wi-Fi Wireless Router with Gigabit & USB 3.0 Ports and eSATA, Smart Wi-Fi Enabled to Control Your Network from Anywhere (WRT1900AC)|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Cisco RV110W-A-NA-K9 Small Business RV110W Wireless N VPN Firewall Router|
|Buy on Amazon|
|TP-Link SafeStream TL-R600VPN Gigabit Broadband Desktop VPN Router, 680M NAT throughput, 20k Concurrent Sessions, 20 IPSec VPN Tunnels, VLAN, Multi-NAT, 4 WAN Load balance or auto failover|
|Buy on Amazon|
Table of Contents
- 10. TRENDnet AC3200 Gigabit Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router
- 9. Tenda High Power AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Router
- 8. DrayTek Vigor2912n Dual WAN Router for Teleworkers and Small Offices
- 7. AFOUNDRY Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router
- 6. ALFA High-Power Gigabit AC1200 Router
- 5. Peplink Pepwave Surf SOHO MK3 Router
- 4. NETGEAR Dual Band 802.11ac Wireless Router
- 3. Linksys WRT AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router
- 2. Cisco RV110W-A-NA-K9 Small Business Wireless VPN Router
- 1. TP-Link Gigabit VPN Router (TL-R600VPN)
- Choosing the Best Wi-Fi Router for Your Small Business
10. TRENDnet AC3200 Gigabit Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router
At the top of the list is this AC3200 router. It delivers faster Wi-Fi speeds, with up to 3200 Mbps across 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. Other features and benefits include:
- Includes “Smart Connect” which automatically groups slower and faster AC devices to improve signal strength
- Features a 1 GHz dual-core CPU to ensure high-speed data transfer rates
There are a few disadvantages to choosing this router:
- It is expensive
- Setup is complicated for the average user
This is an expensive router. You can find similar products at half the price, which is why this router is in the 10th spot on this list. But, it does provide fast Wi-Fi speeds and superior connectivity. You shouldn’t need to worry about dropping connections.
The setup process is complicated. If you don’t have experience with network security or setting up routers, you may have trouble getting this router set up properly. This is especially true if you need to use additional settings, such as bandwidth throttling.
Overall, this router provides several great features and just a couple potential drawbacks. It’s a solid choice.
9. Tenda High Power AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Router
At number 9 is a dual-band wireless router. It uses 802.11ac Wi-Fi for faster internet connections. It also provides speeds up to 1200 Mbps across 2.4 and 5 GHz. Examine the main advantages and features:
- Includes 2 5 dB external antennas and 2 high-gain smart internal antennas
- Supports WPS (Wi-Fi protected setup) feature
- Includes support for WEP, WPA, and WPA2 wireless connectivity
- Affordable – one of the cheapest routers on this list
While those are great advantages, the drawback may limit the use of this router:
- Includes 3 10/100 Mbps Ethernet ports
This router only includes 3 Ethernet ports and they aren’t 1-gigabit ports. They are 100 Mbps ports. If you plan on connecting PCs or other devices to this router with a wired connection, this may not be your best option.
Other than the one drawback, this is a suitable router for most small businesses. It has a dual-band range and uses the latest Wi-Fi protocol. And, it’s affordable.
8. DrayTek Vigor2912n Dual WAN Router for Teleworkers and Small Offices
This next router includes several useful features that should appeal to most business owners. This includes dual-WAN load-balance and redundancy, which helps prevent connectivity issues. You may also like these benefits:
- Supports up to 16 VPN tunnels with VPN failovers for remotely connecting to your business network
- USB 2.0 port as WAN 3 for 3G/4G USB mobile broadband
- Object-based firewall with web content filtering
- Includes bandwidth management features with intelligent VoIP QoS (quality of service)
In addition to the advantages, you should examine these disadvantages:
- Does not include 5 GHz connectivity
- Does not support 3rd party software
You can’t use open source software or third-party software with this router. But, the provided management software should meet your needs. The only real problem is that it doesn’t include 5 GHz connectivity. This could be an issue, depending on the devices that you’re connecting.
If those drawbacks don’t bother you, then you should enjoy using this router. It is reasonably priced and supports VPN tunnels.
7. AFOUNDRY Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router
This next router supports 802.11ac wireless, which is the latest generation of Wi-Fi technology. It is also backward compatible with 11n devices. Includes 3 processors to ensure a stable signal to all devices. Other features include:
- 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz support with dual-band wireless signals
- USB3.0 port for quick access to the network
- Smart encryption for WPA, WPA2, WEP, and WPA-PSK
- Metal exterior ensures durability and stability with good heat dissipation
- 6 omnidirectional antennas for providing coverage up to 40 feet without a loss of signal strength
- Supports up to 100 devices simultaneously
There are a couple of disadvantages to consider:
- Does not include advanced security options
- The setup process can be complicated
If you need to maintain a secure business network, you should consider allowing a professional to handle the installation. The setup process isn’t very straightforward and the average user could have trouble. Also, it lacks advanced security options, such as a firewall. You’ll need to use other software for securing your network.
Despite those drawbacks, it does provide support for up to 100 devices. It also includes the latest Wi-Fi technology for faster connections. Overall, it’s still a great choice, if you can get it setup correctly.
6. ALFA High-Power Gigabit AC1200 Router
Do you need fast speeds? This next router delivers high-speed data transmission through 4 gigabit Ethernet ports and 1 gigabit WAN port. It also features 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity. Other features include:
- Extra wide signal coverage – includes 4 external dual-band antennas to prevent interference
- Superb signal strength and no dead zones
- Easy to setup and configure
- Includes firewall and system management software
Along with those pros, you need to examine these cons:
- Does not include advanced settings for limiting bandwidth
- More expensive than similar routers
You can get cheaper routers that offer the same benefits. Though, with this router, you’re also paying for quality customer service. If you happen to run into any issues, you can easily get the answers that you need.
When you combine quality customer service with fast Wi-Fi connectivity and the latest Wi-Fi protocols, you are getting a great value. It is easy to setup and the antennas can be positioned to eliminate dead zones. It should work great in a small office, allowing all employees to connect to your local business network.
Keep in mind that you won’t get advanced features for setting bandwidth limits or tracking internet use. But, you can use proprietary software, if those issues are important to you.
Here is a router with bandwidth monitoring and tracking. You can configure this router to limit bandwidth for specific IP addresses. For example, printers and phones could be limited or you could limit the bandwidth for individual employees. Here are some of the other features:
- 1 USB 4G LET/3G WAN port with automatic failover from Ethernet WAN or Wi-Fi
- 4 gigabit Ethernet ports
- Connections for 3 antennas
- The configuration and settings are easy to adjust and edit
- You can back up your configurations
The only drawbacks include:
- The plastic exterior feels flimsy and cheap
- The supplied antennas don’t deliver the strongest signal
The router feels cheap, with a plastic exterior. But, this doesn’t impact the use of the router. It still offers fast Wi-Fi connectivity and LAN connectivity. The other issue is the antennas. You can replace with other antennas if you find that the signal isn’t strong enough.
The main advantage is that this router is easy to setup and configure. It works as advertised and should be able to support your business network needs.
4. NETGEAR Dual Band 802.11ac Wireless Router
Next is a dual-band wireless router that can also act as a wireless access point. It uses 802.11ac Wi-Fi and is backward compatible with 11n devices. In addition to the backward compatibility, it provides these advantages:
- Wireless speeds up to 300 Mbps at 2.4 GHz and 867 Mbps at 5 GHz
- Includes a WPS button for easy one-touch connectivity
- Features 4 built-in Gigabit Ethernet ports for connecting phones, printers, or PCs
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- Superior coverage with far-reaching signals
The drawbacks include the following issues:
- It can be difficult to setup and configure
- You may need to position it several times to eliminate dead zones
The user interface is intended to be easy to use. But, it can be a challenge to fully configure this router. This is especially true if you don’t have experience with internet networks. For advanced users, this is less of an issue.
The other issue is that dead zones can be a problem. If the router isn’t in the perfect position, you may have limited range in certain areas. If this is the case, you can simply reposition the router until you’ve eliminated the dead zones. But, this can be inconvenient.
In the end, this is fast Wi-Fi router that is perfect for most small businesses. Other than the setup and configuration, you should have no problems with your Wi-Fi connection.
3. Linksys WRT AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router
The 3rd best option is a dual-band router. It offers 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz simultaneous wireless connectivity. You get a strong Wi-Fi signal with no dead zones – even across multiple floors. This could be the perfect solution for delivering Wi-Fi through your offices or small business. Other features include:
- 4 high-performance antennas for improved signal strength
- 4 gigabit Ethernet ports
- Beam forming technology – increases signal strength to specific devices
- Dual band speeds up to 600 Mbps with 2.4 GHz and 1300 Mbps with 5 GHz
What about the disadvantages? There are two potential issues to consider:
- It can be difficult to install new firmware updates
- You cannot use open source software
The disadvantages may not matter to some businesses. Updating the firmware can be a complicated process. Just make sure that you carefully follow the directions. Due to the difficulty, you might want to try to find an open source software package. But, this router won’t work with open source options.
Other than those drawbacks, this is a decent Wi-Fi router. You get fast speeds and superior signal strength. It’s a great router for most small businesses if you’re not looking for a router that supports open source options.
2. Cisco RV110W-A-NA-K9 Small Business Wireless VPN Router
Next is a wireless router with VPN support. It includes 4 LAN ports and high-speed 802.11n wireless connectivity. Other features and benefits include:
- Includes a browser-based device manager for setting up the router
- Offers support for virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Integrated 4-port fast Ethernet switch for connecting printers, IP phones, and computers
- Affordable – you get a great value with this Wi-Fi router
There are just a couple of potential drawbacks to consider:
Offers 10/100 Mbps data transfer rates – relatively slow compared to other options
Does not allow user bandwidth control per IP address
The data transfer rates are slower than some of your other options. Though, it is still fast enough for most small business needs. Also, it doesn’t provide features for limiting bandwidth for each user. It does allow you to set bandwidths to different VLANs, which requires additional setup.
Overall, this is a quality router. It is slightly slower than other options. But, you still get a Wi-Fi router with VPN support and decent Wi-Fi range. You can easily connect to VPNs and access your business network securely from any location away from the office.
1. TP-Link Gigabit VPN Router (TL-R600VPN)
At the top of the list is this gigabit VPN router. It offers support for virtual private networks (VPNs) and includes 4 Gigabit LAN ports. Along with these features, you get the following advantages:
- Supports up to 20 IPsec VPN tunnels and 16 PPTP VPN tunnels simultaneously
- Includes SPI firewall and DoS defense features
- 4KV lightning protection to protect against shock or electrical damage
- 1 gigabit WAN port and 4 gigabit LAN ports
There are no disadvantages to discuss. It is a solid GB router that is perfect for use in a small office or business.
The bottom line is that you get 1GB data transfer rates with a quality router capable of supporting VPN tunnels. It offers everything that you require in a small business router, including security features and DoS protection. Setup is easy. Overall, this is the best Wi-Fi router for small businesses.
Choosing the Best Wi-Fi Router for Your Small Business
These top 10 Wi-Fi routers should provide you with a great selection to choose from. You have a variety of options that should meet any of your business needs. But, before you make your final decision, here are a few suggestions.
Make sure that the router supports your devices. The latest Wi-Fi protocol is 802.11ac. This is 3 times the speed of 802.11n. Also, don’t forget to check the data transfer rates, security features, and VPN support.