The warm season is also considered pool season. For the ones that do not live in warm areas which have cold winters, the summer is the only time when they can enjoy the benefits of having a swimming pool. This is when water levels and quality need to be checked rigorously.
Pool test strips are the cheapest and most popular option available. They are accurate, but they do not measure all the chemicals. The better alternative is to get a test kit. Swimming pool test kits contain all the required accessories to measure at least 4 different substances that are found in swimming pool water. They usually measure the pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness, bromine, cyanuric acid, and chlorine.
The most basic kit usually tests 4 substances. There is the option to get test kits that may check up to 6 different substances or more. For our list, we included a good variety of swimming pool test kits that should make it very easy to test the water quality. Here are the top 10 best swimming pool test kits.
Best Swimming Pool Test Kits in 2018
Table of Contents
- 10. Swimline Deluxe Two-Way Pool Test Kit
- 9. Taylor Basic Residential DPD Pool and Spa Water Test Kit
- 8. Taylor Swimming Pool & Spa Water 4-In-1 Test Kit
- 7. Taylor K-1000 Basic Residential Pool & Spa Test Kit
- 6. Poolmaster 22270 5-Way Test Kit with Case
- 5. Taylor Troubleshooter DPD Pool and Spa Water Test Kit
- 4. Jed Pool tools Inc 00-481 Standard Dual Test Kit
- 3. LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit
- 2. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
- 1. Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit with Case
- Things to keep in mind when looking for the best swimming pool test kits
10. Swimline Deluxe Two-Way Pool Test Kit
Swunkube Deluxe pool test kit is a great solution for the ones that want to test the quality of the water in their pool without paying too much. It is a simple kit that comes with everything included and a very affordable price tag.
In terms of presentation, the kit comes in a small plastic box with 3 compartments that separate the recipients and the substances. It includes 2 vials that can be used to take water samples and two colored charts that can be used to read chlorine and bromide.
As far as using the kit goes, it is fairly straight forward. All it takes it to get a few water samples in the vials and pour in a few drops of solution from the two large recipients. The color of the liquid will indicate the chlorine and bromide level.
- Includes 2 water sample vials and 2 recipients with the tester solution
- Comes in a small plastic box
- Very clear and simple instructions
- Quite inexpensive
9. Taylor Basic Residential DPD Pool and Spa Water Test Kit
Taylor Basic DPD pool water test kit is a good option for the ones that do not want a complicated testing set. It comes in a compact little case with everything needed to check 3 common substances.
The test kit itself can check chlorine, bromine and pH levels in the water in just a few minutes. Inside the case, instructions have been placed right on the lid to make things as easy as possible.
Looking at the content of the test kit, the product includes two large recipients with the active substances and two water sample recipients. The box also contains a colored card that helps determine the levels of chlorine, bromine and the pH level of the sampled water.
- Very easy to use, clear instructions
- Contains the active substances and water sample vials
- Easy to read a colored card
- Inexpensive and practical
8. Taylor Swimming Pool & Spa Water 4-In-1 Test Kit
The Taylor 4-in-1 swimming pool water test kit is one of the more advanced products in our list mainly because of the testing it is capable of. It is a simple kit that includes all the required recipients and resting substances.
Unlike other testing kits, it does not have multiple vials. It has a large recipient with 4 individual compartments in which testing can be done. The recipient itself has color coding in order to read chlorine, bromine and pH level found in the water.
Inside the kit, users will find multiple recipients with testing substances. It can be used to check acid and base demand as well as alkalinity. Everything is properly stored inside a plastic box with a secure lid and printed instructions.
- Can check chlorine, bromine and pH levels
- Tests acid and base demand as well as total alkalinity
- Simple and easy to follow instructions
- Practical recipient for water sampling
7. Taylor K-1000 Basic Residential Pool & Spa Test Kit
Taylor K-1000 is a very basic set and one of the cheapest products on our list. It does its job well and was designed to be extremely easy to use. Even without instructions, one would be able to figure out how to use the test kit.
Looking at the presentation, the kit comes in a small plastic box that contains two recipients to test chlorine and bromine levels as well as a recipient for water sampling. The recipient has separated walls in order to test each substance individually, including the pH levels.
The instructions for the kit can be found inside the case, glued onto the lid. It is quite accurate and makes it very easy to determine the exact levels of chlorine and bromine in the water. pH levels can be determined using the color codes printed on the water recipient.
- One of the most inexpensive test kits available
- Easy to use with clear instructions
- Tests of chlorine and bromine levels as well as water pH
- Offers accurate measurements
6. Poolmaster 22270 5-Way Test Kit with Case
Poolmaster 222750 test kit is one of the more advanced sets that can check the levels of 5 key indicators that are commonly found in pool water. The set is not particularly expensive but compared to the ones that only check chlorine, pH, and bromine, it has a higher price tag.
The kit includes 4 individual recipients that contain the testing substance. To check for chlorine, bromine, acid demand, alkalinity and pH, the water sample needs to be poured into each individual chamber from the sampling recipient.
Like most another kit, it includes a polyethylene case. Instructions can be found inside the case and it is just as straight forward to use as any other pool test kit. The kit is fairly accurate and the test block has colored markings to make it easier to read each value.
- Easy to use, colored test block
- Can check chlorine and bromine levels, acid demand, pH, and alkalinity
- Includes a small case for safe storage
- Easy to read markings on the test block
5. Taylor Troubleshooter DPD Pool and Spa Water Test Kit
Taylor DPD pool water test kit works quite well and it is one of the most accurate tests available. Yet it is not that expensive and can be used even by someone that never used such a testing kit. The instructions inside the list are very helpful and well written.
Similar to other test kits, everything comes properly stored in a plastic box with a lid that does not open easily, keeping everything safe inside. Inside the box, Taylor added all the required substances and a testing box with graded colors and marking to make it easy to read.
Since it is a bit more expensive, the testing kit does measure more than just chlorine, bromine and pH. It can check acid demand and total alkalinity. The test is fairly accurate as long as the dosage chart is used when testing.
- Easy to read instructions with dosage chart inside the box
- Can test chlorine, bromine, pH, alkalinity and acid demand
- Large text box with color codes and markings
- Hard shell case for safe storage
4. Jed Pool tools Inc 00-481 Standard Dual Test Kit
Jet Pool Tools swimming pool test kit is more of a standard test, fairly basic that just works. It is the cheapest one available that will provide better results than the regular test strips. It is fairly accurate and quite easy to use.
The entire test kit comes in a small blue plastic box that contains 2 recipients with the active testing solutions and plastic tester recipients with individual chambers for each test. The testing recipient has colored grading and numbering that helps the user get better readings.
As far as testing goes, the kit can only check chlorine levels and pH. It should be enough for most users to check the quality of their water as these are the two most important indicators that most pool owners look at.
- Extremely cheap and practical
- Checks the pH of the water and chlorine levels
- Simple instructions and dosage chart
- Single testing recipient with color coding and markings
3. LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit
LaMotte 2056 ColorQ digital pool water tester kit makes it a bit more convenient to check water properties. Instead of using color coding and charts to check the values for pH or alkalinity, the digital display will be able to provide more accurate readings.
The test kit includes everything needed to test chlorine levels, bromine, pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness and cyanuric acid. It includes all the required active substances. Readings and done using a digital photometer the looks at the color of the water.
In terms of pricing, the test kit is a bit more expensive. It includes a small leather case that keeps everything safe and properly organized. The measurements are as accurate as possible while the whole test kit itself is very easy to use.
- Accurate digital photometer
- Measures chlorine, bromine, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness and cyanuric acid
- Very easy to use with clear instructions
- Zippered leather case for proper storage
2. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
Taylor K-2006 test kit is one of the most popular products on our list despite its higher price tag. What makes it so attractive is the fact that it can be used to measure a good number of substances that are commonly found in swimming pool water.
The test kit can be used to check chlorine, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness and cyanuric acid. It includes all the required testing substances and a useful dosing chart. The instructions for the kit can be found inside the box, glued to the interior of the lid.
Compared to cheaper test kits, the K-2006 is not much different. The bonus comes from the fact that it can test for more substances. The testing is done the same. A testing recipient is included that has color grading and markings. To get accurate measurements, it is important to follow the directions on the dosing chart.
- Can test for chlorine, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness and cyanuric acid
- Test recipient comes with markings to prevent color-matching problems
- Includes a dosing chart and clear instructions
- Convenient storage box with locking lid
1. Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit with Case
Poolmaster 22260 test kit offers great value for the money. It is not very expensive, and it tests all the essential properties of pool water. The test can check the chlorine and bromine levels, pH, total alkalinity and acid demand.
The kit itself comes in a durable blue plastic box with a secure lid that keeps everything organized. Inside, there are multiple recipients for the testing substances and one sampling recipient that has markings and color grading printed to get accurate readings.
As far as accuracy goes, the swimming pool test kit works as long as the test substance dosage is done according to the chart included. Instructions are quite straightforward, and the reagents come with a dripping top cap.
- Can test for chlorine, pH, calcium hardness, alkalinity, and cyanuric acid
- Testing recipient comes with color grading and markings
- Secure storage case for the test kit
- Simple instructions and reagent dosage chart
Things to keep in mind when looking for the best swimming pool test kits
Swimming pool test kits are quite easy to use, and most people will figure out how to use them even without the instructions. What is important is to use the right dosage for the reagents to get accurate readings. They generally use the same reagents, but the concentration may be different.
As most kits are the same, it can be difficult to decide which one to get. Even a cheap one can be useful but more expensive ones may prove to be a better choice in certain situations, depending on the quality of the water. Here are some things to keep in mind.
- Digital test kits. Digital test kits work almost the same. They need reagents to react with the water, but they have a digital photometer to determine the exact value for each substance tested.
- Regular test kits. Regular test kits rely on the user to determine the value for each measurement. Usually, this is done using color coding and it is not as accurate as measuring with a digital photometer.
- Substances tested. Usually, a common test kit can help measure chlorine levels, pH, and alkalinity. More expensive ones can also determine calcium hardness and cyanuric acid.
It is difficult to go wrong when buying a swimming pool test kit. Most products clearly state the substances they can check or measure. As they work the same, use the same reagents, getting one set over another is more of a matter of pricing.
For the average individual, a simple kit might be good enough. For more accurate testing, kits with digital photometers may prove to be worth spending the extra money. For our list, we picked all types of testing kits from all price ranges so that everyone can find something to work with.