As a pool owner, you have certain responsibilities. You want to ensure that your pool is clean and safe for your guests. This requires regular cleaning. Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to find the time to maintain a clean pool.
A robotic pool cleaner can help. With the right cleaner, you can make sure that your pool is free of algae and other growth. These cleaners help you keep your pool in pristine condition so that you don’t have to spend as much time maintaining the quality of your water.
Best Robotic Pool Cleaners in 2020
Last update on 2020-02-24 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you want to keep your pool clean, explore this list of the top 10 best robotic pool cleaners in 2020.
10. Aqua Cal ACLEAN1 115v Robotic Pool Cleaner
The first option is an 115-volt robotic pool cleaner. It’s designed to clean all surface types and climb walls or other obstacles. In addition to being able to climb on its own, it offers these features and benefits:
- No installation is required – operates without your pool pump and filter
- Includes a clean filter bag indicator to let you know when to replace the filter
- Uses PVA brushes for a superior grip on all surface types
- Measures 20.9 x 19.9 x 17.2-inches
- Weighs about 31.8-pounds
- Works with inground pools
- Easy to use – drop the machine in your pool and allow it to start cleaning
What about the disadvantages? The main issues include:
- You need to dry the rollers before storing
- Replacement parts are expensive
This is an older model. If you happen to need replacement parts, they will be expensive. While this is a durable cleaner, you should be aware that repairs may be costly. Also, you’ll need to dry the rollers before you store it, which is a minor inconvenience.
Overall, this compact robotic cleaner does a great job of scrubbing and cleaning pool surfaces. It can work on vinyl, concrete, or tile. It’s also easy to use. You just need to decide if the expensive replacement parts are going to be an issue.
9. Pentair 360032 Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 Robotic Inground Pool Cleaner
At number 9 is a newly redesigned pool cleaner that includes a wireless remote. Easily control your robotic cleaner and set regular cleaning schedules. Here is a closer look at the rest of the advantages and product details:
- Measures 19 x 23 x 23.5-inches
- Weighs 45 pounds
- Scrubs, vacuums, and filters
- Capable of cleaning most pools in just 2.5-hours
- Auto-reverse prevents the cleaner from getting stuck in corners
- No installation is required
There are also a couple issues to consider:
- The filter requires regular cleaning
- The machine is relatively heavy
The 45-pound cleaner is heavier than some of the other options. This is quite a bit of weight to transport on a regular basis. Luckily, once you place the machine in the pool, it does the rest of the work. The only real inconvenience is that you’ll need to clean the filter regularly.
In the end, this is a quality machine. But, it also has a large price tag. Some people may find this to be too expensive for the benefits that it provides. Though, it does do a great job of keeping your pool clean.
8. Blue Wave NE3285F Aquafirst Super Rover Robotic Pool Cleaner
The Blue Wave robotic pool cleaner is an affordable cleaner designed to clean the floor of your pool. It uses linear jet propulsion for fast cleaning and better suction. Other features include:
- 50-foot cord length
- Filters 80 to 85 gallons of water per minute
- Cleans the floor of your pool
- Comes with 2 sets of top loading bags (2 for microns and 2 for large debris)
- Programmed to clean your pool in less than 2 hours
- Works with inground and above ground pools
There are a couple of issues that you’ll need to consider:
- Not designed to work on the walls
- May require a couple of passes to fully clean the floor of your pool
This cleaner isn’t designed to clean walls and steps. Though, it can partially clean along the lower sides of the walls. You may also need to complete several passes before it fully cleans the floor of your pool. But, with regular use, it can do a great job of keeping the bottom free of debris and dirt.
If you need a cleaner to keep the bottom of your pool clean, this is an economical choice. It costs about a third of some of the other cleaners and doesn’t require any installation.
7. Zodiac MX8 Suction-Side Cleaner
The suction side cleaner connects directly to your skimmer or vacuum line to clean the floors, walls, and waterline of any pool. Other advantages and features include the following:
- Features a slim design so that it can easily maneuver over curved surfaces
- Compatible with variable-speed pool pumps
- This cleaner works with pools of any shape or size
- Dual cyclonic suction provides greater vacuuming power
- It has a wide cleaning path
The cleaner works as advertised. But, during regular use, you may notice some of these disadvantages:
- The cleaner could get stuck on steps or drains
- Large debris could get stuck in the gears
If you have plants with large leaves, this cleaner might not be the best choice. Large leaves and other debris could get stuck in the machine. Also, the machine itself can get stuck on steps or drains. So, if your pool has a smooth surface and your yard doesn’t have a lot of plant life, these disadvantages shouldn’t be a problem.
Overall, this is one of the best inground suction cleaning robots for use with an existing pool skimmer. It provides a wide cleaning path and 39-feet of hose to thoroughly clean the surface of your pool.
6. Xtremepower US Pool Cleaner Floor Vacuum Robotic Style Cleaner
The 6th best pool cleaner is lightweight and easy to use. It is designed for both above ground and inground pools. Easily filter 80 gallons per minute and clean the entire surface of your pool without any hassle. Explore the rest of the features and details:
- Includes a 43-foot kink-free swivel cable – the cord doesn’t get tangled
- 24-volt power supply with 115-volt input
- The cleaner is affordable
- Only weighs about 12-pounds – one of the lightest cleaners in the list
There is only one disadvantage. This cleaner doesn’t include the advanced tracking technology or robotic features found in the more advanced units. This is simply a self-vacuuming cleaner. But, this also makes it easy to operate. You just drop it in the water and allow it to clean.
The bottom line is that this robotic cleaner does a superb job of cleaning. Though, it doesn’t have programmable settings or additional robotic features. What it does is keep your pool clean.
click here for: Top 10 Best Vacuum Cleaners Under $200
5. Hayward RC9990CUB TigerShark Quick Clean Robotic Pool Cleaner
The Tiger Shark cleans quickly and thoroughly. It can get the job done in just 90-minutes. Also, it works separately from your pool’s filtration system, so no installation is required.
You just plug the machine into an electric outlet and drop the machine in the water. Here are a few other reasons to consider getting this robotic cleaner:
- Includes 2 cleaning speeds
- Maintaining the robotic cleaner is easy – thanks to the unique cartridge filter system
- The cleaner is easy to transport and store
- 55-foot cable
- Weighs 21.5-pounds
- Works on granite, vinyl, fiberglass, pebble, and tile surfaces
- Cleans the floors, walls, and waterline of your pool
- Measures just 11.5 x 16.5 x 15.5-inches
- Gets all the dirt and debris in your pool
The only disadvantages include:
- The cleaner is relatively expensive
- The cord gets tangled
The cord will often get tangled during operation. This isn’t a problem until you are ready to store the cleaner. You’ll need to untangle the cord before putting it away. This is a minor inconvenience. But, with the higher price, you would expect a swivel cord.
In the end, this cleaner will help keep your pool free of any debris or dirt. It’s easy to use and easy to clean. It should offer years of reliable use.
4. Aquabot Pool Rover S2 40 US Jet Pool Cleaner
The 4th best robotic pool cleaner for 2018 has a sleek design and EZ swivel cable to keep the cord from getting tangled. It’s also one of the most affordable choices. Along with the low price, you might be interested in these benefits:
- Cleans your pool floor, coves, and part of the wall
- The filter is located on the top – making it easy to change
- Filters 80 to 85 gallons per minute
- Perfect for above ground pools
- 2 cleaning cycles
- Plug and play operation – no installation is required
There are a couple of drawbacks. Before choosing this cleaner, pay attention to the following issues:
- This cleaner will not climb up your walls – it only cleans part of the walls
- The cord is only 40-feet in length
The cord is a little shorter than other power cords. Most of these cleaners have cords measuring 50-feet or longer. But, depending on the layout of your pool, this may not be an issue. The other potential problem is that it doesn’t completely clean the walls. It will get part of the walls, the floors, and the coves.
Overall, this cleaner does what it is supposed to do.
3. Polaris 9550 Sports Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
Next, check out this inground pool cleaner with a rear water propulsion system. It can reach debris under stairs and in tight corners. It also has a 4-wheel drive with Aqua-Trax tires for traversing all pool surfaces. The other features include:
- Includes a 7-day programmable timer for a regular cleaning schedule
- Comes with a handheld remote control for simple operation
- Includes a powder coated alloy caddy for easy transport
- The cleaner has a motion sensor to avoid moving objects
- Capable of picking up small and large debris
- Easily keep your inground pool perfectly clean
- Measures 22 x 22 x 22-inches and weighs 43.6-pounds
There is just one disadvantage – the cleaner won’t work with above ground pools. It is only meant for inground pools.
Other than this one drawback, this is one of the best cleaners available. It is easy to assemble and operate. Within minutes, you can begin cleaning the surface of your pool.
2. Smartpool NC22 SMartKleen-Robotic Pool Cleaner
At number 2 on this list is a robotic cleaner that is capable of cleaning above ground pools and smaller inground pools. It features floor specific cleaning and a quick drain system for quick removal from the pool. There is also a 40-foot power cord and these features:
- It comes equipped with an extra-large filter bag
- Includes a 2-hour auto shut off to prevent unnecessary cleaning
- Capable of cleaning all pool surfaces, including fiberglass, vinyl liner, and concrete
- Includes built-in tracking technology to properly clean the surface of your pool
- Uses a powerful direct drive motor for slip-free traction and powerful vacuuming
- Compact and durable design
- Works independently from the pool filter and pump
The only important drawback is that this robotic cleaner has a 40-foot cord that tends to get tangled. It tangles during operation and you need to untangle it before you put it away. This is a minor inconvenience and doesn’t impact the function of the cleaner.
Overall, this is a great buy, especially for above ground pools. Though, it also does a great job on smaller inground pools.
1. Dolphin 99996323 Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable
The top robotic pool cleaner is the Nautilus by Dolphin. This nifty appliance will clean the pool floor, cove, and walls. It is recommended for in-ground residential pools up to 50-feet in length. Lightweight and easy to use, it also provides these advantages and features:
- Measures just 20 x 24 x 20-inches and weighs 34.5-pounds
- It can scrub, vacuum, and filter your pool surface in just 3 hours
- It also includes an easy to clean cartridge filter
- The patented swivel cable measures 60-feet in length and doesn’t get tangled
- No pre-installation needed – the cleaner is ready to use out of the box
- Self-programmed for optimal pool scanning
- Comes with a 12-month warranty on spare parts and labor
- Does not need to connect to your pool system
There are no major disadvantages. Though, it should be mentioned that it doesn’t really “learn” the layout of your pool. After you turn it on, it simply starts cleaning. You can leave it in the pool for up to 3 hours to complete the cleaning cycle, which should
The bottom line is that the Dolphin Nautilus is the most cost-effective and efficient way to keep your pool clean. It costs less than 15 cents to clean your pool – based on average energy rates. So, if you want to save time while maintaining a clean pool – this is your best bet.
How to Find the Best Pool Cleaner for Your Backyard Pool
If you want to use a robotic pool cleaner, there are several features to pay close attention to. You’ll want to make sure that it is designed to work with your pool. For example, some cleaners are designed specifically for inground pools while others may only work on above ground pools.
Other features include the length of the cord, the vacuuming power, and the duration of the cleaning cycle. Compare these features as you review the top 10 robotic cleaners and then make your final decision.