There are a lot of people that like to workout at home. This habit has gained an increased following mainly because of its convenient and because we have less and less free time. Recent statistics showed that the average individual now pushes more work hours than people used just a couple of decades ago. This means less time to go to the gym, more time sitting in a chair in front of a computer and more health problems linked to the two. The biggest victim of this rather unhealthy lifestyle is the upper torso. This means back problems, weakened muscles, and vascular issues. Jogging can help but the best thing to do is to get a magnetic rowing machine.
Magnetic rowing machines are considered to be better because they have friction-free resistance. This means that they have a completely silent operation. They are also low cost to manufacture compared to the regular air rowing machines. The resistance of a magnetic rower also allows it to be adjusted and can scale along with the person using it. They offer a wide range of benefits making them the superior exercise machines and that is easy to observe. Stepping into any gym will show that almost all rowing machines are magnetic.
Also, because they are so silent, they are more than suitable for use at home. The only issue that remains is having enough space to actually use a rowing machine. They are not all that compact and will take a bit of floor space. No matter how hard we looked for compact models, there is no way around it. Now that all that has been cleared, let’s go through our list of recommendations for the top 10 best magnetic rowing machines in 2018.
Best Magnetic Rowing Machines in 2018
Table of Contents
- 10. Titan Fitness Adjustable Magnetic Resistance Rowing Rower Machine
- 9. fitbill Smart Magnetic Rowing Machine
- 8. Soozier Magnetic Folding Rowing Machine
- 7. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5622 Dual Function Magnetic Rowing Machine
- 6. Marcy Foldable 8-Level Magnetic Resistance Rowing Machine
- 5. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5612 Dual Function Rowing Machine
- 4. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5508 Ultra Tension Magnetic Pro Rowing Machin
- 3. Stamina 1110 Magnetic Rowing Machine
- 2. Velocity Exercise Magnetic Rower
- 1. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine Rower
- Choosing A Functional Magnetic Rower
10. Titan Fitness Adjustable Magnetic Resistance Rowing Rower Machine
Titan Fitness magnetic rowing machine offers the same quality as a gym grade equipment but takes a bit less space. It offers a smooth pulling force and uses reinforced nylon. It allows for the legs to be fully stretched. The difficulty can be set by selecting one of the 8 magnetic resistance settings. For space economy, the rowing machine was designed to be foldable. In terms of construction, the frame can support a maximum weight of 250 pounds. The model also comes with an LCD screen to track the progress of the user.
- 8 magnetic resistance levels
- Foldable to save storage space
- Allows for the legs to be fully stretched
- Not great for very tall people
The vast majority of users will be able to fully extend their legs. Sadly, all individuals will not be this lucky. They will have to extend their legs only partially. There is no way to adjust the length of the machine but for the price, it offers a rather good deal.
9. fitbill Smart Magnetic Rowing Machine
fitbill smart magnetic rowing machine if a great option for the ones that are serious about working out at home. It is a smart rowing machine because it has built-in Bluetooth that can be used to communicate data to a smartphone to get better control over the progress of the user. The machine has 3 resistance levels and allows the legs to be fully extended, even for tall people. For mobility purposes, the machine was made to be foldable and easy to assemble. Last but not least, the rowing machine is quiet and uses very durable nylon straps.
- Multiple resistance levels
- Bluetooth support and dedicate mobile app
- Foldable and quiet operation
- Mobile app has multiple bugs
The mobile app does make it convenient to use the rower and track progress but only when it works. It has several bugs but the most annoying one is that sometimes, it refuses to connect to the Bluetooth module in the rower. It takes several attempts before it manages to connect successfully.
8. Soozier Magnetic Folding Rowing Machine
Soozier magnetic rowing machine is a good alternative to the rowers we see in gyms. It is much more compact and costs several times less. The rower can be folded, making it much easier to store. In terms of functionality, the rower is not too long but it is good enough. The straps can be adjusted and the magnetic resistance can be adjusted. To track things such as calories burned, session time and several other statistics, the rower comes with a built-in monitor that can also store the data.
- Compact and foldable
- Large food plates and adjustable straps
- Has some issues with the monitor
The rower does offer a good exercise at home. Tracking the data is a bit more challenging. The monitor has some issues and can sometimes get locked up. It needs to be reset in order for it to continue tracking but loses all existing data.
7. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5622 Dual Function Magnetic Rowing Machine
Sunny Health & Fitness is a well known and trusted brand when it comes to gym equipment. The SF-RW5622 is a good pick for the ones that like to work out at home. It has heavy duty foot plates and durable straps. The rower uses magnetic tension with 8 adjustable levels of resistance. To track all activity, the machine was fitted with an LCD monitor that can count calories, distance, time and totals. The rower is also foldable meaning that it does not take all that much storage space.
- Can be folded for easy storage
- 8 resistance levels
- Built-in wheels for easy transportation
- Resistance can be weak for advanced users
The ones that just started working out, the rower will prove to be an excellent choice. If the user does have the habit of exercising already, the rower will prove to be weak in terms of resistance even at the highest levels.
6. Marcy Foldable 8-Level Magnetic Resistance Rowing Machine
Mercy magnetic resistance rowing machine offers a great deal of the money. The rower is foldable and comes with transport wheels so that it is easy to move around and does not take a lot of storage space. In terms of resistance, the rower has 8 levels and uses an accurate monitor to track progress. The machine itself is well built with durable footplates and straps. It was made to withstand a maximum user weight of 240 pounds.
- Foldable and easy to transport
- Durable frame and foot plates
- 8 resistance levels
- Poor instructions manual
The instructions manual is supposed to offer a few indications on how the machine works, how to adjust it and how to use the LCD monitor. Sadly, it seems that the instruction booklet is bare of any help. Users will have to figure most things out all on their own.
5. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5612 Dual Function Rowing Machine
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5612 rowing machine is a very practical choice for the ones that do not have a lot of space at home. It is foldable and a bit more compact than other rowers on our list. The model uses the same magnetic tension as other Sunny Health & Fitness rowers and has 8 resistance levels. It also features a useful LCD monitor that can track progress and various indicators. The foot pads have an anti-slip surface while the straps are made from a very durable nylon material.
- 8 resistance levels
- Quite compact when folded
- Anti-slip footplates and durable straps
- Not suitable for tall people
The rower works for most people but tall individuals will not be able to fully extend their legs when pulling. It has a standard frame that is just a bit shorter than what it should be so that everyone can actually fully extend their legs.
4. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5508 Ultra Tension Magnetic Pro Rowing Machin
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5508 is one of the more popular models from the manufacturer even if it is considered to be premium. It is a bit more expensive but it has a longer rail and several extra functions for the monitor. It can track calories burned, distance, time and even the pulse of the user. The seat is padded while the handles have an anti-slip plastic coating. In terms of practicality, it can be folded, supports a maximum user weight of 300 pounds and it is durable enough for commercial use.
- Can track calories, user pulse, distance and time
- Suitable for commercial use
- Lightweight and foldable
- Monitor drains batteries fast
The monitor runs on batteries like most other rowing machines on our list. The issue with this particular model is that the batteries get drained fast. When the batteries get low, there is no indicator to tell that they need to be changed. The monitor simply turns off when there is not enough power.
3. Stamina 1110 Magnetic Rowing Machine
Stamina 1110 magnetic rowing machine is one of the most appreciated budget solutions from our list. This inexpensive rower uses a lightweight aluminum frame with magnetic resistance that offers a smooth pulling and 8 adjustable difficulty levels. The foot plates are large and the rail is decent. A cool perk is the addition of a small holder for a smartphone or water bottle. It also has a small monitor that can track all the essential stats.
- 8 resistance levels
- Smallholder for drinks or a smartphone
- Floor protectors, wheels for easy transportation
- Rail does not allow full leg extensions
The length of the rail on which the seat travels is decently long but not long enough for tall people. It will not allow for full leg extensions which is probably the only negative thing that can be said about this particular magnetic rower.
2. Velocity Exercise Magnetic Rower
The Velocity Exercise magnetic rower is one of the most advanced models on our list. It uses their DMC System or drums magnetic control that offers higher resistances at higher levels. To achieve this the rower makes use of an electronic tension control. The seat is padded with PU leather that is both comfortable and durable. A useful feature is the added heart rate monitor and the ability to fold the rower. The model is a bit more expensive but it is also much better built than most other models.
- High levels of resistance
- Heart rate monitor
- Advanced DMC system
- Not worth it for advanced users
Even if it offers good resistance levels, the rower does not pose many difficulties for people that work out regularly. It is a good pick for the ones that work out at home in their spare time.
1. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine Rower
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 is by far the most popular choice for the ones that need something decent without having to pay a fortune. It uses a magnetic tension system with 8 levels of difficulties. The handles are coated with an anti-grip material while the seat is very comfortable. To help track every workout session, the rower was fitted with an LCD console. Transportation and storage will not pose much of a problem since it is a foldable rower and it has wheels. The maximum user weight it can support cannot exceed 250 pounds.
- 8 resistance levels
- High build quality
- Advanced LCD console
- Not suitable for tall people
The rower is great for the vast majority of people. It is comfortable to use, poses a challenge at high resistance levels and it is comfortable. Sadly, the length of the rail could have been a bit bigger. Tall people will not be able to fully extend their legs.
Choosing A Functional Magnetic Rower
There are a lot of different rowers available on the market and sadly, some of them are barely worth the metal they are made from and the manufacturers ask for hundreds of dollars. Some rowers are simply not practical. A truly functional and useful rower for a home user needs to have some features that the commercial ones do not have. There are other additional characteristics that matter as well. Here are the most important things to look out for.
- Foldable or not: The obvious choice is to get a folding rower. They are durable enough, can support a decent amount of weight and they take very little storage space. A rower that is not foldable is simply not practical for a regular home user.
- Length of the rail: The rail on which the seat travels needs to be long enough to that the legs can extend properly. Almost no manufacturer states how long the rail is which is why it can be difficult to determine is the legs can be fully extended or not. User reviews might be able to help.
- Information tracked on the monitor: The information tracked on the monitor can be quite helpful. Sadly, some monitors barely provide anything useful. A decent monitor should be able to provide details with regards to the calories burned, distance, time and totals.