Spending time away from the city and out in nature can be very relaxing. The busy city life can take a heavy toll. Stress and daily routines can be tiresome, and camping can be a good way to simply relax and disconnect. The only downside to camping is that it requires a lot of things to be packed for the trip. Everything needs to be lightweight, practical and compact.
Camping chairs are essential items that will prove to be present on every single trip. To make them practical, camping chairs need to be lightweight and compact. All camping chairs are foldable in order to make them easier to pack and some have a few extra features. Their prices can vary a bit as well as their design and reliability. We picked 10 different camping chairs. Here is our list of the top 10 best lightweight camping chairs.
Best Lightweight Camping Chairs in 2018
|ALPS Mountaineering Escape Chair|
$46.84Save 22% ($13.15)
|Buy on Amazon|
|Sportneer Portable Lightweight Folding Camping Chair, 2-Pack for Backpacking, Hiking, Picnic|
|Buy on Amazon|
|N/A||Buy on Amazon|
|GCI Outdoor Freestyle Rocker Portable Folding Rocking Chair, Cinnamon|
|Buy on Amazon|
|ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Folding Camp Chair|
|Buy on Amazon|
|WildHorn Outfitters Terralite Portable Camp / Beach Chair (Supports 350 lbs) with TerraGrip Feet - Red|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Coleman Broadband Mesh Quad Camping Chair|
$22.13Save 21% ($5.86)
|Buy on Amazon|
|Quik Chair Folding Chair, Green|
|Buy on Amazon|
|Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping and Sports Chair|
$34.29Save 14% ($5.71)
|Buy on Amazon|
|Coleman Cooler Quad Portable Camping Chair, Black|
$27.29Save 2% ($0.46)
|Buy on Amazon|
Table of Contents
- 10. ALPS Mountaineering Escape Chair
- 9. Sportneer Portable Lightweight Folding Camping Chair
- 8. Trekology YIZI GO Portable Camping Chair
- 7. GCI Outdoor Freestyle Portable Folding Rocking Chair
- 6. ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Folding Camp Chair
- 5. WildHorn Outfitters Terralite Portable Camp Chair
- 4. Coleman Broadband Mesh Quad Camping Chair
- 3. Quik Shade Folding Camp Chair
- 2. Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping and Sports Chair
- 1. Coleman Oversized Quad Chair
- Things to keep in mind when looking for the best lightweight camping chairs
10. ALPS Mountaineering Escape Chair
ALPS Mounteineering escape chair is a great pick for the ones that are looking for a camping chair with some extra quirks that will prove to be useful. It is not the most inexpensive chair, but it is surely one of the most comfortable ones to sit in.
What makes this particular model so special is the fact that it has a built-in support for the feet, so it makes it a bit more comfortable to get a good stretch. The support for the feet can be folded down so that it becomes a regular camping chair.
In terms of built quality, the chair uses a lightweight steel frame and a durable fabric. It is very easy to fold and takes very little storage space. The armrest of the chair comes with a cup holder while the bottom feet have rubber covers to improve stability.
- Supports a maximum weight of 225 lbs.
- Built-in foldable footrest
- Cup holders on the armrests
- Lightweight and easy to fold
9. Sportneer Portable Lightweight Folding Camping Chair
Sportneer portable camping chair is a great product for the ones that need a practical model that takes very little storage space. It becomes very small when folded. The chair is also lightweight as it is just 2 lbs.
Despite being so small, the chair can support a weight capacity of up to 350 lbs. The fabric used has mesh sides and it is very reliable. Because it has such a low position, some might not find it as comfortable as chairs that sit higher.
The frame of the chair is made from high-quality aluminum and plastic covers for the feet. Beneath the chair, a small storage pouch has been fitted. It has a zippered closure to keep everything properly stored.
As far as portability goes, the chair measures just 14 by 5 inches when folded and comes with a small carrying bag. Setting it up takes just a few seconds and the frame itself will offer great stability.
- Extremely compact and lightweight
- Supports a maximum load of 350 lbs.
- Comes with a small carrying bag
- Features a small storage pouch beneath the seat
8. Trekology YIZI GO Portable Camping Chair
The Trekology YIZI GO portable camping chair is a great pick for the ones that are looking for a good deal. It is an inexpensive chair with a basic but functional design. The model was made to be easy to carry and travel with while still being comfortable to sit in.
For the chair, a lightweight aluminum frame was used that can support loads of up to 300 pounds. The fabric from which the seat is made is durable and quite easy to clean. It can be removed from the chair and can be machine washed.
Folding and setting up the chair takes just a few seconds. It includes a small zippered storage bag that can be attached beneath the seat. The chair itself is available in one standard size and can be found in 3 different colors.
- Very lightweight and easy to pack
- Comes with a small storage bag
- Can support loads of up to 300 pounds
- Removable fabric seat
7. GCI Outdoor Freestyle Portable Folding Rocking Chair
GCI Outdoor Rocker folding chair is a great option for campers. Unlike most other chairs, the model turns into a full-size seat that is comfortable to sit in and offers great support for the back. It is still lightweight and quite convenient to pack.
As far as sturdiness goes, the chair supports loads of up to 250 pounds. It has padded armrests and a convenient cup holder mounted on one of the legs of the chair. For the seat itself, a polyester fabric was used in order to give it more strength.
Like most other chairs in our list, the model folds flat for easier transportation. A feature that sets it apart is the fact that it can be used as a rocker chair. The model is available in two different colors and includes a limited lifetime warranty.
- Can be used as a rocking chair
- Lightweight and easy to setup
- Expands into a regular chair with back support
- Has carry handles and a small cup holder
6. ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Folding Camp Chair
ALPS Mountaineering camping chair is one of the more inexpensive options that were selected for our list. It is still just as practical as any other camping chair. It folds down to be as compact as possible and weighs just 6.8 lbs.
The frame used for the chair is made from steel. It was designed to support a maximum user weight of 300 lbs. which is more than enough. The seat itself uses a durable fabric with a mesh material that offers a bit of ventilation and prevents sweating.
For portability, the chair was made to fold and fit into a small carry bag that comes with the seat. It offers a low sitting position which might not seem all that appealing but it is still quite comfortable to sit in.
- Lightweight, just 6.9 lbs.
- Supports a maximum user weight of 300 lbs.
- Easy to fold, includes a small carry bag
- Mesh material for the seat to improve comfort
5. WildHorn Outfitters Terralite Portable Camp Chair
WildHorn Outfitters Terralite portable camping chair is a bit more expensive than other chairs in our list but it is well worth the extra money. It is extremely lightweight and surprisingly it supports a maximum load of about 350 lbs.
The aluminum frame used for the chair is quite sturdy and reliable. The whole chair weighs just 2 lbs. For the seat itself, a mesh material has been used to allow airflow to cool the person sitting on it. It can be removed if it needs to be cleaned.
Like most other camping chairs, the WildHorn is foldable and becomes very compact. It can be found in 6 different colors and all have Velcro straps to make it easier to transport.
- Aluminum frame weighs just 2 lbs.
- Supports a maximum load of up to 350 lbs.
- Available in 6 different colors
- Includes a mesh carry bag, convertible into a storage pouch
4. Coleman Broadband Mesh Quad Camping Chair
Coleman Broadband mesh camping chair is a popular pick for the ones that love camping. The chair is practical and inexpensive. It has a folding design and a lightweight but reliable frame that can support loads of up to 250 lbs.
The chair has a mesh material on the backrest which will prove to be useful especially during a hot summer day. The nylon fabric is quite durable while the aluminum legs will keep it secure in place.
It takes just a couple of seconds to setup the chair. For easier transportation, a carrying bag was included. The folded dimensions are 5.5 x 6 x 35.5 inches, making it quite compact. It will fit inside a trunk or if needed, it is quite easy to carry in a backpack.
- Comes with a sling carry bag
- Supports a maximum load of 250 lbs.
- Mesh backrest for a cooling effect
- Extra wide design with a cup holder on the right armrest
3. Quik Shade Folding Camp Chair
Quik Shade folding camp chair offers great value for the money. Not only that it is quite inexpensive, but it is also large, lightweight and very practical. The chair can support up to 225 lbs. with its durable steel frame.
For the seat, a 300D polyester fabric has been used as it is very durable and does not tear easily. The chair also has armrests and a cupholder on the right one. Folding the chair is very simple and fits perfectly in the carry bag that comes with it.
The seat is about 5 lbs. which is easy enough to carry around. When folded, the chair becomes quite compact. The feet of the chair has a plastic cover that improves stability. Last but not least, the chair has a very low-price tag and can be found in 5 different colors.
- Supports a maximum load of 225 lbs.
- Durable steel frame
- Includes a carry bag with a shoulder strap
- Weighs just 5 lbs.
2. Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping and Sports Chair
Kijaro portable camping chair can be considered a premium product. It is a full-size chair that is very easy to setup and fold. It is also very lightweight and extremely convenient to carry when going camping.
The chair uses a dual lock system that improves stability. It also has a backrest that offers improved comfort and better support. For the seat, a polyester fabric was used in order to give it strength and durability.
For the frame of the chair, steel was used. It is not as lightweight as aluminum, but it is quite durable. The chair can support a load of up to 300 pounds. Like most other seats, it can be folded to take less storage space and takes only a couple of seconds to set it up.
- 2 cup holders and mesh pockets
- Includes a carry strap stitched onto the chair
- Supports loads of up to 300 pounds
- Available in 10 different colors
1. Coleman Oversized Quad Chair
Coleman oversized quad chair offers great value for the money as it is inexpensive and just as good as some of the more expensive models. It is made to be practical, comfortable and lightweight. The frame provides great support and the folding design makes it easy to transport.
The seat features a cooler pouch and a cup holder. It was made with a backrest for improved comfort and it quite wide. The seat is very easy to fold and setup as well as to transport since it has a convenient strap.
As far as sturdiness goes, the chair can support up to 300 lbs. It comes with a small carry bag for transport and a 1-year warranty offered by the manufacturers. The model can be found in 4 different colors.
- Supports up to 300 lbs.
- Mesh cup holder and built-in cooler
- Comes with a convenient carry bag
- Adjustable armrest height
Things to keep in mind when looking for the best lightweight camping chairs
Camping chairs are similar and there are plenty of models to choose from. It can be a bit confusing when looking at what is available since there are so many camping chairs. What matters is to get a model that is suitable, comfortable and practical.
To ensure that you are getting a functional and suitable camping chair, it is important to look at a few things that set the camping chair apart. Pricing does not influence their quality by much which is why it does not matter all that much. It is important to not overpay for a camping chair. Here are some of the most important things to check on camping chairs.
- Low sitting position or normal? The size of the chair and frame usually influences the height of the chair. Low sitting position chairs may not be all that comfortable, but they are practical since they are smaller when folded.
- Storage. Some chairs have some form of storage. It can be a small cup holder or even a storage pouch. Not everyone needs such features which all the chairs are why not have them.
- Ease of transportation. Usually, camping chairs can be folded and have a handle or strap to make it easier to carry. Alternatively, manufacturers may include a carry bag for their chair.
Camping chairs are essential and everyone that is into camping has one or plans to get one. Their utility cannot be contested but not all of them are worth spending money on. In fact, it may not be worth it to go for an expensive camping chair.
Truth be told, even the cheapest camping chairs can be comfortable and useful. For our list, we picked a wide range of camping chairs from all price ranges. Some of them are regularly sized while others are a bit more compact. There are plenty of different camping chairs so that everyone can find something suitable.