Everyone loves a good barbecue and there is a lot of debate regarding which type of grill is the best. Some argue that nothing beats coal while others prefer the commodity of using gas powered ones. Electric grills are still popular but if we want mobility, electric grills are far from optimal since they always need to be plugged in. Regardless of all these aspects, what matters the most is the taste of the food. They all taste different depending on the type of grill used and this is a matter of personal preference. Some might not like the smoked taste that comes with food cocked on a charcoal grill other others prefer it over anything else. For our list, we decided to focus on gas grills for several reasons.
Gas grills can make a barbecue a bit more convenient. Since they do not to be plugged in, they are much easier to move around. Also, the temperature is much easier to control when compared with traditional charcoal grills. At the same time, gas grills are significantly easier to clean and do not leave much of a mess behind them. All these aspects count as favorable arguments to getting one over the other types.
For our list, we picked 10 different gas grills of various shapes, sizes and from a wide range of prices. We even included some really big grills for the ones that will be using it for small parties or even for a restaurant. Regardless of what a grill will be used for, we managed to select something for any type of need. With these things said let’s jump right into our list of the top 10 best gas grills in 2018.
Best Gas Grills in 2018
Table of Contents
- 10. Char-Broil 240 Portable Gas Grill
- 9. Char-Broil Signature TRU Infrared 3-Burner Cabinet Gas Grill
- 8. Blackstone Dash Portable Grill for Outdoor Cooking
- 7. Char-Broil Performance TRU Infrared 300 2-Burner Cabinet Gas Grill
- 6. Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster 8,000 BTU Portable Gas Grill
- 5. Blackstone Grills Tailgater Portable Gas Grill
- 4. Cuisinart CGG-306 Chef’s Style Stainless Tabletop Grill
- 3. Smoke Hollow 205 Stainless Steel TableTop Propane Gas Grill
- 2. Cuisinart CGG-180 Petit Gourmet Portable Gas Grill with VersaStand
- 1. Cuisinart CGG-240 All Foods Roll-Away Gas Grill
- Picking A Suitable Gas Grill
10. Char-Broil 240 Portable Gas Grill
Char-Broil 240 portable gas grill is a great companion for the ones that like to spend their time out in nature. It is a compact grill that offers a cooking surface of 240 square inches and carrying handles to make it easy to move around. The model has a lit-mounted gauge that indicates the temperature and works with regular 1lb propane tanks. To ensure stability, the legs of the grill are not removable and cannot be folded. They also have plastic covers which prevent it from slipping on flat surfaces.
- Very compact
- Handles for easy transportation
- Temperature gauge on the lid
- Quite big
Normally, saying that a grill is big should not be an issue but when it has to be portable, size does matter. The Char-Broil grill is quite large. Having a 240 square inch cocking surface means that it is big and heavy at the same time. Moving it around is not that easy but cocking on it is quite easy and convenient. See more: Top 10 Best Charcoal Grills in 2018
9. Char-Broil Signature TRU Infrared 3-Burner Cabinet Gas Grill
Char-Broil Signature TRU infrared gas grill is an excellent choice for the ones that are serious about their barbeque. It is a large grill with a cooking surface of 420 square inches and an additional 155 square inches of surface that can be used as a warming rack. The grill uses 3 stainless steel burners and has 3 dials to control the temperature individually. The maximum cooking power is rated at 13,000 BTU. The model also has a temperature gauge on the lid and has a small storage cabinet beneath.
- 420 square inches cooking surface
- Porcelain-coated warming rack
- 3 steel burners with individual dials
- Very difficult to assemble
Even if the grill comes disassembled and very detailed instructions on how to put it together, it is not an easy task. The grill has several screws that are difficult to reach and the metal shits are difficult to fit into place. It can take several hours to get it assembled properly. See more: Top 10 Affordable Electric Grills in 2018
8. Blackstone Dash Portable Grill for Outdoor Cooking
Blackstone Dash portable gas grill is a very simple product without any complicated engineering designs. It has a top lid and a flat bottom grill. The burner sits one level beneath the cooking area while the legs keep it well above the ground. The cooking surface offered is about 240 square inches while the burner has a cooking power of 7,000 BTU. Construction is fairly decent using only metal while safety is ensured by the handle on the lid and the clamps that lock it into place.
- Very compact
- Removable legs for easy transportation
- Generous 240 square inch cooking surface
- Construction may be disappointing
This is a cheap gas grill and in order to achieve such a low price, some compromises have been made. The grill does hold up together well and functions normally but there are small details such as the cheap plastic elements or the questionable paint on the lid that makes it look a bit cheap. See more: Top 10 Best Grill Covers in 2018
7. Char-Broil Performance TRU Infrared 300 2-Burner Cabinet Gas Grill
Char-Broil Performance TRU infrared gas grill is one of the more popular models from the brand. It is much cheaper than what most would expect and has a rather impressive construction. The model offers a cooking surface of 300 square inches and an additional surface of 120 square inches that can keep the food warm. At the bottom side of the grill, a small cabinet can be found while the top lid has a temperature gauge. The grill has two individual burners and comes with a stylish black coating.
- Good value for money
- 300 square inches of cooking surface
- Lid-mounted temperature gauge, warming surface
- Difficult to clean
Nobody likes a grill that is difficult to clean. Sadly, because it is smaller than most other grills, the Char-Broil can be a bit annoying when it comes to cleaning it. Some areas are difficult to reach while the black coating will make it difficult to get the grease off because it is difficult to spot. See more: Top 10 Best Gas And Propane Grills in 2018
6. Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster 8,000 BTU Portable Gas Grill
Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster is a powerful but quite compact grill. Despite having a low price tag, the grill looks and feels premium. It has a chromed handle and a brushed metal lid. The grill itself has a push button ignition system and one burner. Cleaning it can be quite easy since the 146 cooking surface is removable and is dishwasher safe. Last but not least the grill has rubber on the feet to prevent it from slipping and comes with a 3-year warranty.
- Very compact
- 146 cooking surface
- Lightweight and easy to move around
- Push button ignition does not work all the time
The push-button ignition is surely a great feature that everyone will find to be useful especially since it is uncommon on such cheap grills. Since it is not a prefect product, something had to be off with it and that is the ignition itself. It works but not all the time. The spark sometimes is not capable of lighting up the burner.
5. Blackstone Grills Tailgater Portable Gas Grill
Blackstone Grills made the Tailgater portable gas grill to offer as much cooking surface as possible yet keep the model portable. It uses two large burners that are completely independent and two different cooking surfaces. The model has a cover only for one burner while the other one is left open. This makes it easy to cook on the grill or prepare something in a pot or pan. As for the cooking power, the burners have a maximum output of 20,000 BTU for the cast iron grill.
- Can be folded/disassembled easy
- Two individual cooking surfaces
- Easy to clean
- Quite heavy
Being a portable grill means that it is made to be easy to disassemble and pack. While that is true it is important to note that it is a large grill. Incidentally, being so big means that it is heavy. This makes it less portable in terms of weight, but still easy to carry around as it does not take a lot of space.
4. Cuisinart CGG-306 Chef’s Style Stainless Tabletop Grill
Not every barbecue needs to be prepared outdoors. The Cuisinart CGG-306 is a great little tabletop grill with a compact form factor and premium construction. It has a stainless steel body with 2 burners and a large lid. The lead has a top-mounted temperature gauge while the bottom part of the body has 2 dials that control the burners individually. According to the specifications, the grill works with standard 20 lb. propane tanks and offers a cooking power of 20,000 BTUs
- Premium stainless steel construction
- 2 burners for a total of 20,000 BTUs
- Very easy to assemble
- Small cooking surface
For a tabletop grill it is actually not that large. Also having two burners is only explainable if the cooking surface was a bit larger. Besides the size, the grill works very well and heats up to high temperatures making it easy to cook almost any type of dish.
3. Smoke Hollow 205 Stainless Steel TableTop Propane Gas Grill
Smoke Hallow 205 tabletop propane gas grill is a great pick for the ones that need something compact and easy to use. Because of its small size, it can also serve as a portable gas grill. The model has a single burner that has a maximum power of 10,000 BTU which should be enough for its 205 square inch cooking surface. To make it even more compact the legs of the grill are foldable. Cleaning it is quite easy as the grill has a drip tray and all the parts are easy to remove.
- Very compact
- 205 square inch cooking surface 10,000 BTU
- Foldable legs and stainless steel drip tray
- The center is hotter than the sides
Cooking on the grill is easy but it is important to know that the grill gets hotter in the center. The sides are not as hot. Not paying attention to this detail may result in burnt or undercooked food. The food can be cooked evenly if the center is avoided.
2. Cuisinart CGG-180 Petit Gourmet Portable Gas Grill with VersaStand
Cuisinart CGG-180 is a small and versatile gas grill. It was made to be extremely portable and lightweight. To achieve this, the legs of the grill can be retracted completely. The grill itself has a coking surface of 145 square inches with a red-coated lid and a small grease tray beneath. Being so compact, only one burner has been fitted for a maximum power of 5,500 BTUs. The grate of the grill is coated with porcelain enamel and the total weight reaches about 17 pounds.
- Foldable design, very compact
- Lightweight, easy to transport
- Grease tray, top lid, and a carry handle
- Cleaning it can be difficult
The manufacturers managed to make it rather difficult to clean. Some of the parts that need to be removed in order to be cleaned properly will also require removing some screws. Also, the plastic parts are quite close to the hot side and will need to be handled with care.
1. Cuisinart CGG-240 All Foods Roll-Away Gas Grill
Cuisinart CGG-240 gas grill has several interesting features and perks that make it one of the most popular picks on our list. The grill actually comes with 2 caster wheels that make it easy to move around and a generous cooking surface of 240 square inches. For a mobile gas grill, it is quite large. The grill features an electric ignition and a small temperature gauge installed on the top side of the lid. As for portability, the grill has a foldable design that makes it very compact and easy to store.
- Foldable design, easy to store
- 240 square inch cooking surface
- Stainless steel construction
- Burner holes need periodical cleaning
The burner holes have a different design that makes them clog up. This means that the flame loses intensity and the holes on the burner will need to be cleaned in order to fix this. Fortunately, this does not happen all too often.
Picking A Suitable Gas Grill
Deciding on which gas grill to buy is a matter of budget and personal needs. It is obvious that the very large grills that come with 3 burners are quite expensive but the rest of them can vary for no obvious reason. Getting back to the question, here are some important things to look for when searching for a suitable gas grill:
- Cooking surface: Cooking for just 2 people means that even a small cooking surface will do. For more than two, maybe it is better to look at models with 2 or more burners.
- Portable or not: Portability is important only for the ones that actually plant to take the grill with them. If that is not a priority, it is better to get a regular grill since for the same money they offer a larger cooking surface and feel a bit sturdier.
- Number of burners: The number of burners can be quite important. Usually, gas grills that have one burner either have a small cooking surface or get hot mostly in the middle. The models with two burners get heated more evenly.