Not everyone is into art. We all have an artistic side but art is not for everyone. Even engineers are artists but it takes a special kind of artistic view to appreciate the art of painting or drawing. It is one of the oldest forms of art known to man and it is the main type of creative activity that children learn in school.
An art set is a great place to start especially since coloring books are now trading more than ever. In fact, there is a whole industry for coloring books for adults but this is not the only way to get creative with an art set with coloring crayons. The simple act of drawing can be very relaxing and it is one of the best ways to spend your free time.
Since there are so many art sets available, we went ahead and selected just 10. We have 10 different art sets containing various types of crayons and acrylic paint. To keep things short let us jump right into our list of recommendations for the top 10 best finest art sets in 2018.
Best Finest Art Sets in 2018
Table of Contents
- 10 Sela Art-54 Pcs Professional Art Pencil Set
- 9. Clear Art Products Professional Art Kit
- 8. Art 101 106-Piece Sketch Art Set
- 7. Royal & Langnickel Premier Sketching and Drawing Deluxe Art Set
- 6. Castle Art Supplies 72 Colored Pencils Set
- 5. Gallery Studio – 82 Piece Deluxe Art Supplies Set
- 4. Royal & Langnickel – The All Media Easel Artist Set
- 3. Crayola Inspiration Art Case
- 2. Art 101 142-Piece Wood Art Set
- 1. Darice 131-Piece Premium Art Set
- Things to keep in mind when looking for art sets
10 Sela Art-54 Pcs Professional Art Pencil Set
Sela Art offers a great art set, especially for beginners. It has a smaller number of pencils but it covers a wide range. The kit consists of a set of 54 pencils. It has sketching pencils, colored pencils, metallic pencils, charcoal pencils and some watercolor pencils.
The kit comes in a small plastic box with a magnetic cover. It is not that large and can fit inside a backpack. Each pencil in the set is made using high-quality materials and with great precision.
Besides the pencils, the set includes a few extra accessories. Sela Art included a sharpener, a ruler, an eraser and a brush. Since the set is so inexpensive, it can be a great gift for someone that does not own an art set.
- Includes sketching pencils, metallic pencils, watercolor pencils and charcoal pencils
- Has a ruler, sharpener, brush, and eraser
- Great as a gift for both adults and children
9. Clear Art Products Professional Art Kit
Clear Art professional art kit is a good pick for a beginner. The name is a bit exaggerated as it is not exactly professional. In fact, it is more of a premium beginner set as it offers a good deal for the price. The pencils are of high quality and the set has plenty of useful accessories.
Before rushing to buy the set it is important to note that it is a sketching set. It has 33 pencils of different types including graphite and charcoal. All of them are made using high-quality materials and can even be used by professionals.
In terms of additional accessories, the set comes with 2 erasers, 2 sharpeners, a knife, and a simple pencil extender. All the accessories and pencils come in a small zippered case that will easily fit inside a backpack or bag.
- Great art set for beginners
- Includes 33 pencils for sketching
- Comes with plenty of accessories
- Inexpensive but not cheaply made
8. Art 101 106-Piece Sketch Art Set
Art 101 makes a very compelling art set. It is a 106 piece art set that comes with a low price tag and quite decent quality. The set itself can be used for sketching and coloring and comes with everything needed to get started.
The entire art set comes in a stylish wooden box with a handle and two metal locks to keep it secure. In terms of accessories, the set includes 2 erasers, a sharpener, medium drawing pencils, and pastels.
Despite being a 106 piece set, it does not have a lot of pencils. It actually has 36 premium colored pencils, 45 oil pastels, 3 sketch pencils and a bonus coloring book. Overall, for the price, it can be considered a great gift or a good pick for a beginner.
- 106 piece set with enough accessories
- Great value for money
- Good for beginners both adults and children
- Includes a bonus coloring book
7. Royal & Langnickel Premier Sketching and Drawing Deluxe Art Set
Royal & Langnickel is one of the few premium brands on the market when it comes to art sets. Their Premier sketching and drawing set is an ideal choice for the ones that love drawing. It can work for both beginners and already established artists.
The set itself comes in a luxury wooden case with multiple drawers that help keep everything organized. It also has a leather handle and two locks to keep everything safe during travel or storage.
Inside the kit, the manufacturers included no less that 134 pieces that include plenty of colored pencils, sketching pencils, erasers, sharpeners and even a drawing guide. It has everything to get started and more.
- 136 piece set with sharpeners, pencils, erasers and more
- Luxury wooden box with multiple trays
- Includes a small drawing guide
- Premium quality pencils
6. Castle Art Supplies 72 Colored Pencils Set
Castle Art Supplies pencils set is a very practical choice in the sense that it is a compact kit with plenty of pencils. It is also quite inexpensive and the quality of the pencils is anything but disappointing.
Inside the set, 72 different colored pencils have been included. All of them are made using high-quality wood and high-quality pigments. They are part of the soft series that allow for easier blending, layering, and shading.
In terms of organization, the pencils come in a compact box with 3 drawers that organize the pencils based on their color. There are no accessories included. A sharpener could have been included to make the kit even more appealing.
- Quite inexpensive yet high quality pencils
- 72 color pencils
- Soft Series meaning that they are made for blending, shading and layering
- Compact case with 3 trays to keep the pencils organized
5. Gallery Studio – 82 Piece Deluxe Art Supplies Set
Gallery Studio is not the cheapest art set in our list but it is considered a professional grade kit. It a deluxe set that includes a decent amount of colored pencils and some essential accessories. Regardless it is still in the lower price bracket and can be a great gift for someone passionate about drawing.
The set consists of 24 colored pencils, 24 oil pastels and 24 watercolor cakes. The kit also includes 2 high quality paint brushes, eraser, a ruler and a sharpener.
In terms of presentation, the art set comes in a stylish wooden case with a metal handle and two locks. Every pencil and element of the set has its designated place and everything sits properly in place inside the case.
- Premium quality art set
- Includes 24 colored pencils, 24 watercolor cakes, paint brushes and 24 oil pastels
- Comes in a wooden carrying case
- Premium but still in the lower price range bracket
4. Royal & Langnickel – The All Media Easel Artist Set
Royal & Langnickel Akk Media Easel artist set may just be the complete kit from the brand. It mixes no less than 104 pieces that include many different types of oil paints, pencils, and all the essential accessories.
The kit comes in a small wooden box with drawers to properly organize the paint tubes, pastels, and pencils. Everything inside including the box itself feels premium and the surprising part is that the set is not that expensive for the quality it offers.
Looking at the kit we can find 12 oil paints, 12 watercolor paints, 12 acrylic paints and 12 oil pastels. It also has several accessories including paper sheets and artist paste.
- Premium oil paints
- Luxury wooden box with drawers
- Multiple accessories included in the set
- Easy to work with and organize the paints
3. Crayola Inspiration Art Case
Crayola Inspiration art set is one of the most affordable products on our list. It might not be a great pick for an adult but for children, it can be a great and entertaining gift especially since it has plenty of pencils and accessories.
The set has no less than 140 pieces. Amongst the included items we have 64 crayons, 20 colored pencils, and 40 washable markets. These should be enough for a child to get started with.
In terms of accessories, the set includes 15 large sheets of paper. The entire set comes in a small case with a colored print on. It also has a handle and latches to keep it safe during storage. Also, it is worth mentioning that none of the crayons or pencils are toxic.
- Nontoxic crayons and pencils
- A total of 140 pieces included in the set
- Includes plenty of crayons, pencils and washable markers
- Comes in a colorful case
2. Art 101 142-Piece Wood Art Set
Art 101 offers a great art set for a very tempting price tag. It offers great value for money and decent quality. Even if it is not a professional set, it is still worth considering especially for the ones that enjoy drawing as a hobby or are just starting out.
As expected, the set comes in a deluxe wooden case with latches to lock it. Inside the case, there are removable drawers that hold about 142 pieces. Everything is properly organized and stored in a logical manner.
Looking at the actual content of the set, we have plenty of items. The set includes medium pencils, crayons, and watercolor paints. It also includes a sharpener and eraser.
- 142 high-quality art set
- Wooden case with removable drawers
- Includes pencils, crayons, and watercolor paints
- Inexpensive high-quality art set
1. Darice 131-Piece Premium Art Set
The Darice art set is by far the most popular pick mainly for its low price tag. It is a rather competent art set with plenty of pencils, crayons, and markers. Professionals might not be pleased with it but for beginners and children, it is an excellent pick.
For such an inexpensive set it does offer a lot. It is a 131 piece set that comes with crayons, pencils, and markets. It also comes with a ruler, sharpener, and eraser. Additionally, it includes a small pair of scissors and a tube of glue for paper.
The entire set comes in a small wooden case. It has a handle that makes it easier to carry and two latches to lock it securely. Overall, the set offers decent quality and comes with a great price tag.
- Affordable for a 131 piece art set
- Comes with a ruler, erasers, sharpener and scissors
- Includes a wooden case for storage
- Suitable for children and beginners
Things to keep in mind when looking for art sets
There are hundreds of different art sets available and they are quite different based on what they include. A cheap set might be alright for a beginner but for the ones that are serious about their hobby, they might need to increase their budget.
Picking the right art set can be a bit difficult especially since there are some sets that are nearly identical. Generally speaking, there are a few things to look out for when searching for art sets. We are going to list the most important aspects that need to be considered when picking a new art set and avoid getting the wrong one.
- Pencil and crayon types. There are different types of crayons. Some are better for sketching while others are better for blending or shadows. Their hardness plays an important factor and this needs to be checked before buying a set.
- Included accessories. Most beginner sets include a decent amount of accessories. They usually have a small ruler, a sharpener, and an eraser. Advanced sets do not have accessories included and will need to be purchased separately.
- Price range. The price range usually determines the quality of the set. For beginners, any set will do but for the ones that are serious about their hobby, spending a little extra can make a big difference.
Drawing is one of the most relaxing hobbies one could have. It is an act of creation and takes a bit of dedication and talent. Getting into a drawing is not that difficult and it does not take much. A decent art set is a great place to start.
Picking a good art set is also dependent on who is going to use it. Fortunately, there is no shortage in terms of diversity. There are art sets available for all skill levels and all are groups. It takes a bit of exploration but finding the right art set is surely not impossible and not that difficult either.