There is nothing that dogs love more than to chew. Everyone has a story of their dog destroying a pair of shoes or even chewing something like furniture. It is a bad habit but not something impossible to deal with. If dogs have something to chew, they will cause less havoc around.
Dog chew toys are usually made out of a safe plastic material. Most of them do not have any kind of flavor but there are some toys that can taste like chicken, bacon or even peanut butter. This makes them much more appealing to the dog.
For our list, we picked 10 different toys for both small and large dogs. All of them are safe for the dog and have different shapes and sizes. With no further ado, here is our selection for the top 10 best dog chew toys in 2018.
Best Dog Chew Toys in 2018
Table of Contents
- 10. Hartz Chew N’ Clean Dental Bone
- 9. oneisall Bone Chew Toy For Puppy Dogs
- 8. Hyper Pet Hyper Chewz Chew Toys for Dogs
- 7. Nylabone Dura Chew Barbell
- 6. PetSafe Busy Buddy Bristle Bone Dog Toy
- 5. Benebone Real Flavor Dental Chew Toy
- 4. Petstages Dogwood Durable Real Wood Dog Chew Toy
- 3. Nylabone Power Chew DuraChew Double Bone Bacon Dog Toy
- 2. Nylabone Dura Chew Textured Dog Chew
- 1. KONG Squeezz Ball Dog Toy
- Things to keep in mind when looking for dog chew toys
10. Hartz Chew N’ Clean Dental Bone
Hartz dental bone is a cool toy that has a utility. The toy claims to promote clean teeth along with a good oral hygiene. It helps improve jaw strength and helps the gums of the dog.
As this is no ordinary chew toy, the Hartz comes scented and has a bacon flavor. This makes it much more appealing to the dog and should keep him busy. The toy is shaped like a bone and has a pink surface that is meant to clean the teeth.
The dental bone is made out of special polyurethane and some nylon. It is veterinarian-approved and completely safe. The dog will have a very hard time destroying the bone. Read more:Top 10 Best Dog Sofas and Chairs in 2018
- Has a bacon flavor
- Veterinarian approved
- Available in 2 different sizes
- Helps protect the teeth and jaw strength
9. oneisall Bone Chew Toy For Puppy Dogs
a onesall bone chew toy is a great pick for every dog owner that wants to keep their pup busy. It is a simple, bone-shaped toy, made out of non-toxic nylon. The green color might not be the most inspired choice.
The nylon used for the toy makes it very difficult for the pup to destroy it. It has an appealing bacon flavor and smell. It will also help clean the teeth of the dog and keep plaque under control.
Even if the toy is advertised for pups, it is available in 3 different sizes. The biggest one is suitable for a full-grown dog. They are quite inexpensive, and their durability makes them an ideal toy to keep the dog busy. Read more:Top 10 Best Pet ID Tags in 2018
- Has an irresistible bacon flavor and smell
- Helps clean teeth and reduce plaque
- Available in 3 different sizes
- Made out of non-toxic nylon
8. Hyper Pet Hyper Chewz Chew Toys for Dogs
Hyper Pet Chewz chew toy is an affordable way of keeping a dog busy. It is a simple, bone shaped toy made out of a durable EVA foam. This makes it float in water, making it a good toy to bring to a walk on the beach or at the pool.
Even if it is made out of foam, the toy is quite durable. It returns to its normal shape after chewing and it is made out of a non-toxic plastic material. This makes it safe for the dog and will survive for quite some time.
The toy itself can be used to play with the dog. It will not help clean the teeth like other toys, but it should be good enough to keep the dog busy and prevent him from chewing other objects. Read more:Top 10 Best Dog Bed Covers in 2018
- Made out of durable EVA foam
- Non-toxic, safe for the dog
- Floats on water, great for a walk on the beach
- Lightweight returns to original shape after chewing
7. Nylabone Dura Chew Barbell
Nylabone Dura Chew Barbell is a popular product amongst dog owners. It is a simple chew toy made out of a non-toxic nylon plastic material that helps clean the teeth and remove plaque.
The chew toy is flavored so that it would be more appealing to the dog. It tastes like peanut butter and the flavor does not go away all that easily. The toy maintains the peanut butter flavor for quite some time.
As far as the toy goes, it is recommended mostly for larger dogs of up to 35 pounds. It is quite tough and durable, nearly impossible to destroy. It is also available in 3 different sizes.
- Available in 3 different sizes
- Durable nylon, very difficult to destroy
- Helps promote oral hygiene and prevents plaque
- Peanut butter flavored
6. PetSafe Busy Buddy Bristle Bone Dog Toy
PetSafe dog toy is an inexpensive but useful product. Unlike other chewing toys, this one has small bristles that have a functional purpose. They help clean teeth and remove plaque. It also has a gum massaging rubber.
Similar to other dog chewing toys, the PetSafe is made out of nylon to make it durable. The bristles might not survive for all that long, but it is a good enough toy even for a large dog.
One interesting feature is that it can be refilled. What this means is that the toy has replaceable rings that contain flavor. This keeps the dog interested in the toy. The toy can be found in 4 different sizes and comes with 4 refills.
- Replaceable refills that add flavor to the toy
- Have teeth cleaning bristles and gum massaging rubber
- Durable nylon bone
- Available in 4 different sizes
5. Benebone Real Flavor Dental Chew Toy
The Benebone brand is surely a familiar name to most dog owners. Their dental chew toy is a great way of keeping the dog busy. It is a simple chewing toy with bacon flavor that ensures the dog will keep on being interested.
The toy is made out of nylon which ensures that it is durable and very difficult to destroy. For the flavor, the manufacturers used only natural ingredients to ensure that the toy is non-toxic.
Chewing on the toy will help the dog maintain clean teeth. It also helps remove plaque. The toy is not edible and it is recommended to supervise the dog when he is chewing on it.
- Available in 3 different flavors and 2 sizes
- Great for maintaining the teeth clean
- Difficult to destroy
- Clever design for ridges to stimulate the gums
4. Petstages Dogwood Durable Real Wood Dog Chew Toy
Petstages Dogwood chewing toy is one of the best-selling products for dogs from the brand. It quite inexpensive and it is made out of a very durable non-toxic plastic material shaped like a small piece of wood.
The toy is available in several different sizes and two different flavors. All of them were made to be extremely durable and safe. They can last for several months and the flavor will persist for quite some time as well.
Like most other dog chewing toys, it helps clean the teeth. It is also quite difficult to destroy and because it is flavored, it will keep the dog interested in the toy and away from chewing shoes.
- Very durable but safe and non-toxic
- Available in 2 flavors and 4 different sizes
- Suitable for both pups and large dogs
3. Nylabone Power Chew DuraChew Double Bone Bacon Dog Toy
Nylabone power chew dog toy is a great pick for owners of both small and large size dogs. It is a bone-shaped toy with raised bristles that help stimulate the gums and clean the teeth. The toy can help remove plaque and tartar.
Like most of the chewing toys from Nylabone, it comes with a bacon flavor that will last for quite some time. It is also quite tough and very difficult to destroy by chewing it.
The toy will prove to be useful as it keeps the dog busy and discourages him from chewing on other objects. The toy is available in 3 different sizes and for a rather decent price tag.
- Hard, durable toy, difficult to destroy
- Bacon flavored
- Raised bristles to clean the teeth and stimulate gums
2. Nylabone Dura Chew Textured Dog Chew
Nylabone Textured Dog Chew is a great pick for pet owners that have issues with their furry friends. To prevent them from chewing on something like shoes, the Nylabone can provide a genuine solution.
The dog chewing toy comes with a bacon flavor that will keep the dog interested and discourage him from chewing other items. It lasts for quite some time and because it is made from nylon, it is very difficult to destroy.
Unlike other chewing toys, this one has raised bristles. They help the dog maintain clean teeth and they stimulate the gums. Chewing on the toy also helps control plaque and tartar.
- Raised bristles to help clean the teeth and gums
- Bacon flavored
- Durable, difficult to destroy by chewing
- Available in several other flavors
1. KONG Squeezz Ball Dog Toy
KONG Squeezz dog toy is one of the best-selling products on our list. It is an inexpensive chew toy with a squeaker that encourages the dog to play. It also discourages the dog from chewing on something like shoes.
The toy itself is basic. It is not flavored, and it is shaped like a small twig. It was made mostly for the dog to play with it. The material from which it is made is quite durable and should not get too damaged when chewed.
As with other dog chewing toys, the KONG dog toy is available in multiple sizes and in several different shapes. It can be found in the shape of a stick, a ring, a football, a bone and several others.
- Quite inexpensive
- Recessed squeaker to encourage the dog to play with it
- Available in multiple shapes and sizes
- Made out of a durable material
Things to keep in mind when looking for dog chew toys
There are several things to think about when looking for a dog chew toy. Since there are so many different dog products, particularly chew toys, picking something that will actually make the dog interested can be challenging. The dog might just not like a particular toy. For example, squeaking chewing toy can prove to be unappealing for certain dogs. Usually, dog owners tend to buy multiple toys. The dog tends to pick one as his favorite and forget about the rest. This is normal behavior but what matters the most is to actually find a toy that the dog loves. Here are some things to think about when looking for a dog chewing toy.
- Flavored or not? Some toys can be flavored. Odds are, the dog will love bacon flavor. However, not all flavors are realistic and some of them might not be natural.
Squeaking toy or not? A squeaking toy can be fun for some dogs. Others might simply not like the sound and will refuse to play with the toy.
- Shape and size: Usually, most dog chewing toys are shaped like a bone. The shape might not matter all that much for the dog but the size is important. If the toy is too big, it will be difficult for the dog to play with it.
Dogs that chew different objects around the house can be difficult to deal with. Giving them something that keeps them busy is a must, otherwise, they will not shake of this bad habit. It is quite annoying to find a pair of perfectly good shoes destroyed. Chewing toys can be a genuine cure for this bad habit.
To help manages this problem and keep the dog busy, a simple dog chewing toy can be enough. Flavored ones are probably the best ones to get. There are multiple flavors to choose from and all of them tend to be appealing to the dog.