Do you enjoy working on your car or motorcycle? Whether you’re a passionate hobbyist or a professional mechanic, you know that it’s important to be able to get underneath your vehicle and see what’s going on. The same is true whether you’re at home or on the road. For that, you need a quality automotive floor jack.
If you’re in the market for your first automotive floor jack or replacing an existing one, it’s important to know which qualities are most important. That’s why we’ve taken the time to review the floor jacks on the market and compile a list of the 10 best automotive floor jacks for sale in 2020.
What to Look for on an Automotive Floor Jack
Before we run down our choices for the best automotive floor jacks of 2018, let’s talk about the things you should consider when buying a floor jack.
- What kind of jack do you want? There are three basic types:
- Hydraulic jacks are favored by professional mechanics and sit on a trolley. They use a hydraulic cylinder to lift vehicles and typically can lift higher than other types of jacks.
- Scissor jacks are small and portable and are often included with the purchase of a new car because they can be used to change tires and do other maintenance.They compress a scissor link to get a moderate amount of elevation.
- Bottle jacks use hydraulics, too, but in a much more compact space typified by hydraulic rings. You can get a lot of lift with a bottle jack, which makes them a poor choice for low-riding sports cars.
- What kind of vehicles do you want to lift? The heavier your car or truck, the more power you will need to lift it. You also need to think about how low your vehicle is to the ground before making a choice.
- What is the jack you are considering made of? Cheap jacks often have plastic components, while the best and safest models are all or mostly metal.
Keep these guidelines in mind as we run through our list. Your individual needs should always take precedence over the manufacturer’s recommendations. With that in mind, now let’s get our picks for the top 10 best automotive floor jacks for sale in 2020.
Best Automotive Floor Jacks For Sale in 2020
Last update on 2020-09-26 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
10. Liftmaster 2 Ton Hydraulic Trolley Floor Jack and Jack Stands Combo Set
The first automotive floor jack on our list is the Liftmaster 2 Ton Hydraulic Trolley Floor Jack and Jack Stands Combo Set. Here’s what we like about it.
- A hydraulic lift can support up to two tons of weight.
Stand lifts between 10.5” and 17” and the jack lifts 5” to 13”.
Heavy steel frame provides maximum support and security.
As is the case with any product, there are a few potential downsides to this jack. Here they are.
- Lifts high enough for a tire change but not high enough for someone to slide under the car.
- The lowering valve is not built into the handle so you have to move it to lower the vehicle.
- If you have a heavy vehicle, you’ll need a stronger jack.
All told, this is a good starter jack that can help you change tires and do basic repair work.
9. Pro-Lift F-2315PE Grey Hydraulic Trolley Jack Car Lift with Blow Molded Case (3000 lbs Capacity)
Coming in 9 on our list is the Pro-Lift F-2315PE Grey Hydraulic Trolley Jack Car Lift with Blow Molded Case (3000 lbs Capacity). This product has a lot to offer, and here are some of its best features.
- 3000-pound capacity can lift most cars.
- Hydraulic lift works efficiently – although you’ll have to pump to get maximum lift.
- Small size makes it perfect to take with you if you need a portable jack.
Here are a few of the potential downsides of this lift.
- Strong enough for most cars, but not for SUVs or trucks.
- Lowering the jack requires patience – if you release it too quickly the car will come down fast.
- Does not lift high enough for serious body work.
This is another great lift for basic work like changing and rotating tires.
8. Liftmaster Hydraulic Trolley Floor Jack 2 Ton Heavy Duty Car Lift
The 8 automotive floor jack on our list is the Liftmaster Hydraulic Trolley Floor Jack 2 Ton Heavy Duty Car Lift. Here’s why it made our list;
- 360 swivel saddle ensures that it makes perfect contact with your vehicle.
- Lightweight, weighing in at a little over 18 pounds.
- Hydraulic lift lowers your car easily and safely.
There are a few things that could use improvement. They include.
- This jack only lifts to a maximum height of 13.25” – if you need a higher lift, you’ll have to spend more money.
- Lifting the car gets more difficult the higher you jack it.
- Plastic wheels are not built for durability.
If you want an affordable jack that you can move easily, this is a good place to start.
7. Torin T83006 SUV Service Jack – 3 Ton
The 7 item on our list is the Torin T83006 SUV Service Jack – 3 Ton, which has some features that we particularly like. Here they are.
- Overload protection valve ensures that you won’t lift a vehicle that exceeds the jack’s weight limits.
- Built-in safety lock ensures your safety when you’re working on your vehicle.• Large saddle ensures a stable lift even on heavy vehicles.
There are a few potential downsides to keep in mind when considering this jack.
- There is no handle on it, so you have to lift it to move it from one spot to another.
- There may be air in the hydraulic oil when you receive it. Follow the instructions to check.
- Not strong enough to stand up repeated regular use – for the home user and not the professional mechanic.
This isn’t the most attractive jack on the market, but it gets the job done at an affordable price.
6. Torin T10152 Scissor Jack – 1.5 Ton
Coming in at 6 on our list is the Torin T10152 Scissor Jack – 1.5 Ton. This doesn’t have the weight capacity of some of the other jacks on our list, but here’s why it made the cut.
- An alloyed steel frame is sturdy and rust-resistant.
- Can lift up to 1.5 tons up to 15.3 inches off the ground.
- 5-inch saddle provides excellent stability.
There are a few potential negatives to consider too. Here they are.
- While its capacity is low, the 15” length makes it difficult to fit in the trunk of a car.
- The handle is included, but using a lug wrench will make the jacking process easier.
- Not sturdy enough to handle oil changes or other serious work.
If you want a small jack to use on lighter vehicles this is a good – and affordable – choice.
5. Blackhawk B6350 Black/Red Fast Lift Service Jack – 3.5 Ton Capacity
The next item on our list is the Blackhawk B6350 Black/Red Fast Lift Service Jack – 3.5 Ton Capacity. This is a heavy duty lift that we really like for the following reasons.
- Includes a bypass device to prevent over-pumping.
- Built-in safety valve provide peace of mind and security.
- 7,000-pound capacity can lift very heavy vehicles with ease.
Here are some things that could use improvement on this model.
- The grip on the handle tends to slip, although you can fix that with some spray glue.
- The handle doesn’t fold in for storage so it’s not the most compact item on our list.
- The handle is in two pieces and we would prefer one for security.
On the whole, this is a very reliable and durable jack that lifts quickly and efficiently.
4. Performance Tool W1614 Floor Jack with 15-Inch Lift – 2 Ton Capacity
The 4 automotive floor jack on our list is the Performance Tool W1614 Floor Jack with 15-Inch Lift – 2 Ton Capacity. Here’s what we like about it.
- Swivel casters make it very easy to position this jack wherever you need it.
- 4,000-pound capacity is enough for most vehicles except the heaviest trucks and SUVs.
- Comes with a carrying case for easy transportation.
There are a few caveats to keep in mind before buying this jack.
- You’ll need to pump the handles several times before you use it to distribute the hydraulic fluid.
- 15” lift may not be sufficient for big jobs.
- Casters may need to be replaced with repeated use.
If you’re looking for a sturdily-built and reliable jack, this is a good option for the home mechanic.
3. Powerbuilt 620422E Heavy Duty 4000 lb Triple Lift Jack
Coming in at 3 on our list is the Powerbuilt 620422E Heavy Duty 4000 lb Triple Lift, Jack. This is a great jack for the price. Here’s why we chose it for our list.
- Removable lift saddle and patented lift rails offer maximum stability and support.
- 4,000 capacity is good for all but the largest trucks and SUVs.
- A triple lift makes it possible to lift very quickly.
There are a few potential negatives to consider when buying this jack.
- Lift a maximum of 17.5”, which may not be high enough for some.
Requires a minimum clearance of 5.5” to use.
- Large unit weight 85 pounds, which may be too heavy for some people.
This is a very sturdy, heavy jack and that may provide some peace of mind while you are working.
2. Arcan ALJ3T Aluminum Floor Jack – 3 Ton Capacity
The 2 lift on our list is the Arcan ALJ3T Aluminum Floor Jack – 3 Ton Capacity. This is a serious piece of equipment that gets the job done. Here’s what we like about it.
- Can lift three tons but weighs only 56 pounds total.
- Dust protector prevents dust from getting into the hydraulic fluid.
- Reinforced lift arm provides chassis torsion control.
- Overload valves prevent overlifting.
This is a terrific product, but there are a few negatives to keep in mind.
- The jacking pole is in two pieces and flexes a bit as you lift the car – not dangerous but may be uncomfortable for some people.
- Made in China, so replacement parts may be difficult to get.
- Handles aren’t centered and that makes lifting a bit tricky.
On the whole, we think it’s hard to go wrong with this sturdy jack.
1. Powerzone 380044 3 Ton Aluminum and Steel Garage Jack
And finally, our top pick for the best automotive floor jack for sale in 2020 is the Powerzone 380044 3 Ton Aluminum and Steel Garage Jack. We love this jack, and here’s why.
- 4 inch to 18.25-inch lift range will work for most cars and situations.
- The lightweight aluminum frame makes this unit portable, while the heavy-duty steel arm provides stability and strength.
- Rubber padded saddle protects your vehicle while it is being lifted.
It’s hard to find anything to complain about here, but here are a few things to keep in mind.
- As is often the case, the arm movement gets more difficult the higher you lift the car.
- The rear wheels are small so it is best used on concrete and not any other surface.
On the whole, this is an affordable, reliable, and durable jack that we highly recommend.
If you work on your car at home, you need to have a reliable jack whether you’re changing the oil or rotating the tires. The 10 jacks on this list provide what you need. It doesn’t matter whether you own a motorcycle, an ATV, or an SUV — there’s something for every price point and vehicle.