Chlorine, sulfur, hard metals and other contaminants can impact the purity of your water. These impurities are often responsible for hard water and dry skin or hair.
If you don’t want to deal with hard water any longer, then discover the top 10 best shower filters in 2017.
How to Choose the Right Shower Filter
The 10 filters included on this list share a lot of features and details. This can make it a challenge to find the right one. To help you out, here are a few factors to consider:
- Filter stages and media
- Average service life of each filter
- Overall cost
You first need to make sure that the shower filter is compatible with your shower head. Some shower filters are universal and will work with overhead, handheld, or combo showers. Others might be intended specifically for overhead showers.
Another consideration is the filter. With additional stages, the water passes through different filter media before reaching you. With each stage, additional contaminants are removed from the water. So, a 7-stage filter is more effective than a 3-stage filter.
Also, look at the life of the filters. The filter cartridges are typically replaced every 6 months. Though, this can vary. Some filters list the gallons of water usage before replacement, such as after 10,000 gallons. This is standard.
You might also want to find a shower filter that matches the aesthetic of your existing bathroom hardware. There are chrome plated shower filter, plastic filters, and other styles to choose from.
The final factor is the cost. Honestly, the cost is mostly what separates these different shower filters.
Best Shower Filters in 2017
That covers the main details and features of a typical shower filter. As you look through this list of the top 10 best shower filters in 2017, consider the features that matter most to you – such as cost or design.
Table of Contents
- 10. AquaPure High-Output Universal Shower Filter with 3-Stage Filter
- 9. Crystal Water Filters Premium Certified Shower Filter
- 8. AIDOUT Shower Filter with Replaceable 5-Stage Filter Cartridge
- 7. AquaHomeGroup Universal 8-Stage Water Shower Filter
- 6. Limia’s Care Shower Filter with 2 Replaceable Multi-Stage Filters
- 5. Cropal Shower Filter with Replaceable 7-Stage Filter Cartridge
- 4. Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System
- 3. AquaBliss High Output Universal Shower Filter with Replaceable Filter
- 2. CaptainEco 5-Stage Shower Filter with 2 Replacement Cartridges
- 1. Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mounted Filtered Shower Head with Massage
10. AquaPure High-Output Universal Shower Filter with 3-Stage Filter
This first shower filter is designed to help remove calcium, zinc, copper, and chlorine. Here are the details:
- Each filter should last for 6 to 9 months
- Could help improve your skin and hair
- Eliminates harmful contaminants
- Affordable price
- 3-stage filter cartridge
This is a universal shower filter that should work with any overhead shower, handheld shower, or combo shower. The cartridges are disposable and will filter 10,000 gallons of water before they need replacing. And, the instructions help ensure that you get your filter installed within minutes.
It should be noted that there are no major disadvantages to this shower filter or any of the filters on this list. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any of these 10 shower filters. But, some offer extra features or include more effective filters. For example, this shower filter uses a 3-stage filter cartridge. Some of the other options use 7 or 8-stage filters. So, if you want the most efficient filter, you should consider the other products. But, for an affordable way to clean your water, you could try using this filter.
9. Crystal Water Filters Premium Certified Shower Filter
Here is a simple filtration system that anyone can add to their home or apartment without difficulty. It’s easy to install and could help improve the pH balance of your water. You will also get these features:
- Universal high-output shower filter
- Removes chlorine and heavy metals
- Can help remove algae, fungi, zinc, and copper
- May help to eliminate mold
This is an affordable solution for cleaning your water. You shouldn’t have any problems installing the filter. Easily eliminate chlorine odor and soften your water. It’s a simple option for anyone with hard water. It also comes with silicone seals and one cartridge.
The biggest problem is that you only get 1 filter cartridge, while most others come with an extra cartridge. Though, the filter should last about 6 months before you need to replace it. Basically, you’re getting an efficient filter and you don’t need to spend too much.
8. AIDOUT Shower Filter with Replaceable 5-Stage Filter Cartridge
Improve the condition of your water without limiting your shower pressure with this next shower filter. Here is a summary:
- 5-stage filter cartridge
- Universal shower filter
- Easy installation
- Removes chlorine, heavy metals, and bacteria
- Helps prevent mold, scale, and algae
This filter system uses a 5-stage filtration process. The filters include KDF55, calcium sulfate, activated carbon, and other filter media to help remove impurities. Each filter cartridge should provide 6 to 9 months of filtration before needing to be replaced. What makes this filter stand out? It comes with everything that you need to keep your water clean and works with all types of showers.
It’s hard to find any problems with this filter. It seems to get the job done and works as advertised. What more could you want? If you don’t feel that this shower filter does a good enough job removing impurities, you can return it for a full refund. Overall, this is one of the more affordable options. And, the replacement cartridges are cheap.
7. AquaHomeGroup Universal 8-Stage Water Shower Filter
Up next is an 8-stage shower filter with 2 filter cartridges. Check out the other benefits:
- Removes chlorine and water impurities
- Delivers consistent water pressure
- Works with any shower – overhead, handheld, or combo shower
- Simple installation
One of the top features of this shower filter is that you get high-pressure output. Some of these filters will limit the pressure, due to the filtration process. But, it’s not a problem with this filter. In addition to this advantage, installation is easy and it’s compatible with all types of showers.
Depending on the design of your shower, this filter may lower your shower head several inches. This could be inconvenient for tall people. But, it might be possible to adjust your shower head to accommodate the difference. As with most filters, it does a decent job of removing that chlorine smell and helps eliminate hard metals. The bottom line is that this is another good option.
6. Limia’s Care Shower Filter with 2 Replaceable Multi-Stage Filters
The following shower filter installs along the shower arm and works with handheld shower heads. Explore the rest of the features:
- Comes with 2 replaceable filter cartridges
- Removes chlorine and other substances
- May help prevent dry skin or hair
- Comes with plumber’s tape
- Chrome finish
This shower filter comes with everything that you need to start filtering your shower water. This includes the shower filter, 2 filter cartridges, 2 silicone seals, plumber’s tape, and detailed instructions. Though, installation only takes minutes. You should change the filter every 5 to 6 months, with a typical family of 4.
This is a quality filter and we didn’t come across any major disadvantages. It’s affordable and convenient. But, it might not filter as many contaminants as the next 5 shower filters.
5. Cropal Shower Filter with Replaceable 7-Stage Filter Cartridge
If you’re tired of dry or itchy skin, this shower filter could help. Here are the details:
- 7-stage filter cartridge
- Removes chlorine, heavy metals, and sulfur odor
- Chrome finish
- Installs in minutes – works with handheld showers or shower combos
- 30-day money back guarantee
The 7-stage filter cartridge includes calcium sulfate to help soften hard water. Activated carbon is included to remove impurities. KDF55 is used for removing heavy metals and chlorine. Other filter media include ceramic balls, PP cotton, and a stainless-steel mesh. Each filter cartridge should last for 6 months. Another benefit is that you can install this on just about any shower.
There is one drawback that you may experience. Though, this might not always be the case. The issue is that the shower filter could eventually limit your water pressure. If this occurs, you can try replacing the filter cartridge.
4. Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System
Next is a popular shower filter with a dual-stage filtration system. Find out which features help make this is a top choice:
- Removes over 90% of chlorine from your water
- Helps eliminate hard metals and contaminants
- Improves the pH balance of your water
- Filters 2.5-gallons of water per minute
This is one of the more advanced options. It utilized a dual-stage filtration system. There are two sets of filters, including a combination of copper/zinc media and a coconut shell. The filter should last for about 6-months. And, the shower filter is backed by a 1-year warranty and a 90-day guarantee.
Some people may not like the design of this shower filter. Instead of housing the filter within the showerhead, the filter on this unit extends below the showerhead. This is a little obtrusive. But, it’s a minor issue and it’s necessary for the 2-stage filtration system. The cost might also deter some customers. But, you are getting a quality filter with an advanced filtration system.
3. AquaBliss High Output Universal Shower Filter with Replaceable Filter
Purify your water and cleanse your body with the help of this next shower filter. Learn more:
- Removes chlorine, heavy metals, bacteria, and pesticides
- Multi-stage filtration
- Works with all shower types – no tools required
The multi-stage filtration includes a blend of different filtration media. This includes KDF 55, calcium sulfite, and activated carbon. The filters are replaceable and should provide about 6 months of cleaner water. Within a few weeks of use, you should start to notice that your water smells better. This is due to the removal of chlorine from the water.
There is one drawback to this shower filter. It is relatively large. It’s about 5 to 6-inches long. But, this is a minor inconvenience. And, it might not be an issue for you, depending on your personal preferences. In the end, this is another easy to install shower filter and it works with handheld showers.
2. CaptainEco 5-Stage Shower Filter with 2 Replacement Cartridges
Up next is a 5-stage shower filter. It comes with 2 replacement filter cartridges. Here is a closer look at the other details:
- Uses a 5-stage filter to soften water
- Removes chlorine and sediments
- Helps to protect your skin, nails, and hair
- 100% money back guarantee
This filter uses KDF process media to remove heavy metals and chlorine from your water. It can also get rid of bacteria and algae – even in hot water. This is done to help improve the purity of the water that you bathe with. The filter also includes ceramic balls for absorbing impurities and polypropylene cotton for removing sediment and rusts. This is also an easy to install shower filter that should work with any standard ½-inch shower arm.
There are no disadvantages to this product. This is a great shower filter and it’s relatively affordable. If you’re tired of chlorinated water, then this filter will help. Overall, it’s effective, inexpensive, and comes with 2 filter cartridges.
1. Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mounted Filtered Shower Head with Massage
Here is the top shower filter for 2017. It’s a wall-mounted filtered shower head with massage. Though, there is also a handheld version. Other features include:
- Meets EPA water sense certification standard (2 gallons per minute or less)
- Anti-clog rubber spray nozzles with 5 spray settings
- Easy to install – no tools required
- Uses an easy to replace filter cartridge
- The cartridge filters sulfur, chlorine, and scale
This is a quality shower filter that will help get rid of harsh toxins, including too much chlorine. The replaceable filter cartridges will continue filtering for a full 10,000 gallons. This is about 6-months of daily use for one individual. The result is cleaner, softer skin and hair. It’s also easy to install. You won’t need any tools to connect it to a standard ½-inch threaded shower arm.
The bottom line is that this is one of the most efficient and thorough shower filters available. It’s also reasonably priced. So, what are you waiting for? If you want to start filtering out chlorine and contaminants from your shower water, then consider getting this shower filter – or any of the other 9 options discussed.