Everyone can remember at least one moment when they needed a knife and there wasn’t one around. Regardless of what the knife was needed for, in that moment a pocket knife might have been enough. It is the kind of accessory that we always forget about and only remember it when we actually need it. The pocket knife should be a mandatory accessory for every man. There is no excuse not to have one. They have small blades, which means they are not lethal thus cannot be considered weapons and they have additional gadgets built in that will prove to be useful.
A good pocket knife should not have only the blade. It should be able to perform several other tasks such as open a bottle, cut wires, have a screwdriver built-in and even a scissors. Not all knives have these features but they should have some otherwise they cannot be considered true pocket knives. Also, their blade should be retractable so that they can be stored safely in the pocket. Right now, there are thousands of different pocketknife models and there are some significant differences between them. There are even tactical pocket knives which are inspired by military design. What matters the most is the metal they are made from as this will decide how long lasting the knife will be.
Best Pocket Knives in 2017
For our list, we managed to find some great picks for really good prices. Let’s not waste any more time and just jump right into it. Here are the top 10 best pocket knives in 2017.
Table of Contents
- 10. Master USA Carbon Fiber Drop Point Spring Assisted Opening Tactical Pocket Knife
- 9. Whetstone Matrix Stainless Steel Folding Knife
- 8. Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife
- 7. Buck Knives 0371BRS Stockman 3 Blade Pocket Knife
- 6. The X Bay Pearl Handle Michael Corleone Milano Godfather Style Pocket Knife
- 5. Schrade Imprerial IMP16S Stockman Folding Pocket Knife
- 4. Case Large Blue Stockman Pocket Knife
- 3. Kershaw Ken Onion Blur Folding Knife with Speed Safe
- 2. Tac Force Spring Assisted PAKKAWOOD Handle GENTLEMAN’S Folding Knife
- 1. Victorinox Swiss Army Pocket Knife
10. Master USA Carbon Fiber Drop Point Spring Assisted Opening Tactical Pocket Knife
Master USA Carbon Fiber drop point tactical pocket knife is a cheap and decent model with a very basic design. It is a spring assisted knife with a black 3.25-inch blade and a modern carbon fiber styled handle. The knife measures about 4.5 inches when closed making it very easy to carry in a pocket and it has a stainless steel blade making it quite durable.
- Stainless steel blade
- Spring assisted design
- Very inexpensive
- Not very sharp
The knife comes in a small box in perfect condition but the manufacturers do not make the blade particularly sharp. It is not blunt but it is not very sharp either. Most users will end up sharpening the blade after getting the knife. The good news is that it stays sharp for quite some time due to its durable stainless steel blade.
9. Whetstone Matrix Stainless Steel Folding Knife
Whetstone Matrix is a cool looking little pocket knife that comes with a very low price tag and a decent construction. It has half of the blade serrated and it is made out of stainless steel. When closed, the knife measures just 5.5 inches while the blade itself is 4.25 inches. The handle is made out of aluminum with acrylic plates while the overall design makes it look more like a tactical knife.
- Extremely cheap
- Decent build quality
- Stainless steel blade
- Serrated blade design
- Blade cannot be locked into place
Usually, a spring loaded pocket knife has a means of locking the blade safely into place. This is not the case with the Whetstone Matrix. It does stay properly closed but when opened, the blade can be closed by accident by pushing the edge that is not sharpened. The knife does come in a perfect condition with a very sharp blade.
8. Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife
Victorinox is a brand with which most people should be familiar. They have the most popular pocket knives mainly because they incorporate a lot of tools in a compact form factor. The Classic SD pocket knife is a 7-in-1 tool that comes with a blade, scissors, screwdriver, tweezers, nail file and several others. The build quality is premium as expected but it is also a bit more expensive than a basic pocket knife.
- Stainless steel blade
- Extremely compact
- 7-in-1 design with plenty of useful tools
- The price tag will make some turn away
The main reason why the price tag might make some look elsewhere is the fact that not everyone needs a 7-in-1 pocket knife. It is a good tool to have around but it might not be worth spending so much on a multi-tool that will not be used to the fullest. The ones that do think will need such a pocket knife need to know that there are not that many other models similar to the Victorinox. Victorinox still offers some of the best multi-tool pocket knives.
7. Buck Knives 0371BRS Stockman 3 Blade Pocket Knife
Buck Knives Stockman is an interesting offering. Despite not having extra tools the knife does have 3 different blades. The longest one is the general purpose blades while the other two are a bit shorter and have different shapes. It measures little under 4 inches when closed and the longest blade is close to 3 inches in length. All blades are made out of stainless steel for added hardness and resistance to regular usage.
- Quite small but durable
- Made out of stainless steel
- 3 different blades
- Blades are quite short
Compared to other pocket knives the Stockman has very short blades. It is still a good pocket knife but it could have been better if they had a higher length. The stainless steel used is very durable making each blade remain sharp for a long period of time or regular usage.
6. The X Bay Pearl Handle Michael Corleone Milano Godfather Style Pocket Knife
The X Bay Pearl pocket knife has a certain appeal to it. The knife has a classic design and according to the manufacturers, it was inspired by the pocket knife used by character Michael Corleone in the movie The Godfather. Leaving the design aside, the knife itself is quite well made with a stainless steel 4.5-inch blade and a chromed handle. It is available in several different colors and it folds open like a regular pocket knife.
- Classic stylish design
- Durable stainless steel blade
- Available in multiple colors
- The handle feels a bit cheap
The handle of the knife is well made but it feels a bit cheap. It has chromed accents and an acrylic cover. It does not look all that great the way the parts fit in together but still, it will not fall apart. The blade is very durable and comes extremely sharp. When opened, the knife measures about 9 inches making it one of the larger models in our list.
5. Schrade Imprerial IMP16S Stockman Folding Pocket Knife
Schrade Imperial IMP16S Stockman folding pocket knife has a misleadingly low price tag. Surprisingly it is very well made and has a very compact form factor. The model hides 3 different blades of various dimensions, all being made out of stainless steel. The handle is well constructed out of steel and acrylic that properly holds into place. It is not a large pocket knife as the longest blade measures 2.5 inches and the handle is about 3.4 inches.
- Quick small and easy to carry in a pocket
- 3 different blades of various sizes
- Very sharp stainless steel blades
- Difficult to open
The bolts that hold the handle in one piece also hold the blades. It seems that the manufacturers went a bit overboard with the safety and made them very difficult to open. This can be a positive aspect as children will have a very hard time playing with it when left around unattended.
4. Case Large Blue Stockman Pocket Knife
Case Large Stockman pocket knife is quite similar to some of the other Stockman models in our list. The blades do have a different shape and the overall size of the knife is larger. The model measures 4.25 inches when closed. Except for the acrylic covers on the handle, the knife is entirely made out of stainless steel to ensure that it is long-lasting and does not require to be sharpened all too often.
- Very robust and well made
- 3-in-1 design with 3 different blades
- Multiple colors and sizes to choose from
- Price tag can be a major turnoff
Not a lot of people are willing to pay a whole lot of money on a small pocket knife. It is true that if you want something premium, you have to pay a premium. The knife is still not overpriced as the steel used and the attention to detail makes it both look sleek and well constructed. The blades have different shapes and lengths and they come very sharp thus it needs to be handled with care.
3. Kershaw Ken Onion Blur Folding Knife with Speed Safe
The Kershaw Ken Onion Blur folding knife may not be called a pocket knife but it surely works like one. It has a thin blade made out of stainless steel that makes it much easier to cut with. The design is fairly simple and seems to be inspired by hunting knives. It is a folding knife but it has an inset liner lock which makes it much more safe to work with.
- Inset liner lock mechanism
- Very thin and compact
- Extremely sharp
- High premium price tag
The Kershaw is truly a premium pocket knife. It is made to list a lifetime if cared for properly. With a thin profile and its steel blade, the knife will not need to be sharpened anytime soon. The handle is made out of aluminum and offers a very good grip. Still, all this comes with a higher price tag and not everyone has this kind of budget for a pocket knife.
2. Tac Force Spring Assisted PAKKAWOOD Handle GENTLEMAN’S Folding Knife
TAC Force spring assisted folding knife has a more classic look. It is the kind of knife one would take on a trip outdoors. The handle of the knife is covered with wood while the blade is made out of stainless steel with a black coating. On one of the sides of the handle, the knife has a small clip. The blade measures 3 inches while the handle is about 4 inches.
- Durable stainless steel construction
- Classic yet stylish design
- Wooden handle that offers a good grip and handling
- No blade locking mechanism
The knife needs to be handled with care. Not having a locking mechanism for the blade means that it is easy to close it by accident which can lead to accidents. This needs to be taken into consideration when buying it but it used with a bit of attention, it should serve just fine.
1. Victorinox Swiss Army Pocket Knife
Victorinox Swiss Army pocket knife is probably the most versatile knife in our list. With 7 different functions and a modest price tag, it is no wonder why this particular model has been selling so well. The knife and the tools are well hidden and the handle looks robust enough. Some of the tools it comes with are the knife, a nail file, scissors, screwdriver and several extras.
- Extremely compact
- 7-in-1 design with scissors, screwdriver, a blade, nail file and several others
- Modest price tag
- High-quality construction
- A bit too small
Victorinox pocket knives are never large. In fact, they are the smallest in our list. For regular tasks it should be enough, the size should not be a problem. However, some will disapprove of its extremely compact form factor. The larger version might be better but that comes with a different price tag.
Picking The Right Pocket Knife
Just like men, not all pocket knives are created equal. Our list offers a good diversity of models to pick from but it can be confusing to just look at a picture. Here are some of the more important things took at when picking a pocket knife.
- Getting the right size. Shapes and sizes can vary a lot. Usually, manufacturers will state in the description of their knife how long the blade is. In most cases, the handle will be about an inch longer than the blade.
- Spring assisted or not? Spring assisted pocket knives can be fun but dangerous. Fortunately, they open with the blunt side out. Regular pocket knives that need to be opened manually are a bit safer.
- Simple or multifunctional knife? Usually, there is not much of a difference in pricing between simple knives and the multifunctional ones. Larger and stronger blades are used in simple knives while the multifunctional ones are smaller and a bit thinner.