Let’s be honest, nobody thinks about trash when it comes to their kitchen. It is the last thing that goes on our minds. The ones that do think about it surely are planning to get a new trash can. Things are fairly simple if the trashcan is hidden inside a kitchen cabinet. Sometimes there is not enough space to hide the trash can inside the furniture so it needs to be placed somewhere in the kitchen which means it will be visible. For such situations, it is better to have a closer look at several different models. Getting a cheap plastic trash can just look bad. It gives a rather annoying visual aspect of the entire kitchen. This is one reason to actually spend a little extra and get a more suitable trash can that is both more durable and looks at least decent.
Today we will have a quick look at 10 different trash cans, selected out of a list of hundreds. This means that there is a great deal of diversity when it comes to trash cans and some of them look really fancy. There are a few major manufacturers which offer tens of different trash cans but there are also several smaller manufacturers that offer equally decent products.
Best Kitchen Trash Cans In 2017
We were able to pick some interesting products including some that are automated or have sensors that lift the lid without touching it. With these things said, let’s dive right into our list of the top 10 best kitchen trash cans in 2017.
Table of Contents
- 10. simplehuman Semi-Round Step Trash Can
- 9. simplehuman Profile Step Trash Can
- 8. Organize It All Stainless Steel Step-On 8-Gallon
- 7. Ninestars DZT-80-4 The Original Touchless Automatic Motion Sensor Trash Can
- 6. Ninestars DZT-70-11R The Original Touchless Automatic Motion Sensor Trash Can
- 5. Rubbermaid Step-On Wastebasket Trash Can
- 4. simplehuman Slim Plastic Step Trash Can
- 3. simplehuman Semi-Round Step Trash Can
- 2. Ninestars DZT-50-9 Infrared Touchless Stainless Steel Trash Can
- 1. iTouchless Deodorizer Automatic Sensor Touchless Trash Can
10. simplehuman Semi-Round Step Trash Can
simplehuman Semi-Round step trash can is a stylish and affordable model from one of the most well-known brands. The trash can has a strong steel pedal with a stainless steel body that has a fingerprint-proof texture. It has a decent capacity without being very large and a removable inner bucket. One interesting aspect is the silent lid. When it closes it is completely silent. The trash can is available in two different colors and it includes a 10-year warranty.
- Stainless steel body, fingerprint free
- Silent lid
- Can be small for a large family
The trashcan is not as large as some would expect or want. It has a decent capacity but it is surely not large enough for a family. The only solution is to either get a larger trash can or just get two but getting two of them is not such a practical idea. Paying a bit extra for a larger model is a much better option.
9. simplehuman Profile Step Trash Can
simplehuman Round Step trash can is quite similar to the previous model on our list but it has a different shape and a different lid. The Round Step model has a plastic lid and a stainless steel foot pedal. It is not very large but it is a good pick for someone living on his own. The trash can also has a fingerprint-proof body and the lid is made out of a durable material that will not dent. According to the product specifications, the pedal will last at least 150,000 steps.
- Very durable
- Fingerprint-proof stainless steel body
- Not very large
For a trash can, the simplehuman is not very large. For a family, it will be too small but for someone living alone, it should be enough. The brand does have additional models that are larger if this one might be too small for some users.
8. Organize It All Stainless Steel Step-On 8-Gallon
Organize It All Step-on trash can is a large model, fit for a family. It can be used in the kitchen but due to its durable construction can also be used outdoors. The trash can has an 8-gallon capacity and two separated compartments. Each compartment holds about 4 gallons. There are two pedals to open each section. The body of the trash can is made out of stainless steel while the lids are made out of plastic.
- Two 4 gallon compartments
- Stainless steel body
- Easy to clean
- Foot pedals do not work very well
Foot pedals on a trash can with a lid are almost a standard. The pedals on the Organize It All trash can work but they are not great. They need to be pushed hard and they sometimes feel like they might break but they never do. It feels like they do not push hard enough to lift the lid yet they work somehow.
7. Ninestars DZT-80-4 The Original Touchless Automatic Motion Sensor Trash Can
Ninestars DZT-80-4 offers a great value for the price it sells for. It is an inexpensive trash can with a large 21-gallon capacity. The model is actually completely automated which means that it uses an infrared sensor to detect motion and automatically open the lid. It is a battery powered model. One interesting feature is the design of the lid that is meant to prevent odors from escaping.
- Large 21-gallon capacity
- Infrared motion sensor to open the lid
- Prevents odors from escaping
- The motion sensor gets triggered easily
The design and concept of the trash can are surely useful in a kitchen. The only problem is that the sensor is quite sensitive to movement. It needs to be placed in a less frequented area of the kitchen. Some may choose to place the trash can inside a kitchen cabinet just to completely eliminate the issue with the sensor triggering randomly.
6. Ninestars DZT-70-11R The Original Touchless Automatic Motion Sensor Trash Can
Ninestarz DZT-70-11R is one of the many automatic trash cans that have a lid and no pedal. It actually uses a sensor that detects infrared motion and opens the lid automatically. This means that it is battery powered. An interesting feature is the design of the lid that seals off and prevents odor from escaping. The construction of the trashcan feels premium with a stainless steel body except for the lid that is made out of plastic.
- Infrared motion sensor to open the lid
- Prevents odor from getting out
- The sensor gets triggered easily
Because of how the sensor is placed and its range, the trash can will open automatically even when walking by it. It can be a bit annoying which is why it needs to be placed in an area that is more isolated. It can even be placed in a kitchen cabinet which would solve the entire sensor issue.
5. Rubbermaid Step-On Wastebasket Trash Can
Rubbermaid step-on wastebasket is a great pick for the ones that do not want to spend too much money on a trash can. It is actually made entirely out of plastic with a simple mechanism to open the lid. The trash can also allow the lid to stay open without holding the pedal down and it is fairly easy to clean. Despite being made out of plastic it is very durable and very lightweight.
- Lightweight and durable
- Large 13-gallon capacity
- Looks and feels cheap
The trash can is fairly simple. It is not as interesting as a stainless steel model and it looks fairly cheap. Still, it is quite durable which is why most might not use it as a kitchen trash can and might prefer to use it in the yard or somewhere else where they do not need an expensive wastebasket.
4. simplehuman Slim Plastic Step Trash Can
simplehuman slim plastic step trash can is a good and inexpensive offering from a very reputable brand. It is not made out of stainless steel as their other trash cans but it is sturdy, durable and feels premium. The trashcan has a stainless steel pedal and a Lid Shox technology that allows the lid to be closed silently every time. According to the product specifications, the capacity of the trash can is about 10 gallons. As for diversity, the trash can is available in four different colors.
- Premium build quality
- Silent lid closure
- Plastic walls are very thin
Because the plastic walls are very thin, two problems will become noticeable. The trash can becomes extremely lightweight and easy to knock over when empty. Also, the thin walls make it feel less durable. The plastic will not crack but surely it would have been better if the walls were thicker.
3. simplehuman Semi-Round Step Trash Can
The simplehuman semi-round step trash can is a good pick for the ones that are looking for a large model. It has a capacity of 13 gallons and it is quite sturdy. Despite being made out of plastic, the walls are quite strong. The pedal of the trash can is made out of metal while the lid has a special mechanism which makes it close silently. It was designed to be used in areas of high traffic such as a kitchen.
- Lightweight with sturdy walls
- Large 13-gallon capacity
- Lid is difficult to snap into place
The trash can is being shipped without having the lid snapped on. It makes sense to ship it like this but what does not make sense is the fact that the lid is very difficult to snap on. It takes a lot of force to put snap it into place and it almost feels like the plastic will snap.
2. Ninestars DZT-50-9 Infrared Touchless Stainless Steel Trash Can
Ninestars DZT-50-9 is another version of the touchless trash can. The model is their best seller mainly because it has a large capacity and a decent price tag. It has a capacity of 13 gallons and comes with an infrared sensor that opens the lid when it detects motion. The trash can also has an advanced lid that prevents odors from escaping. Last but not least the trash can is powered by D size batteries that need to be purchased separately.
- Motion detection sensor that lifts the lid
- Stainless steel construction
- Fingerprint magnet
The stainless steel body of the trash can makes it look and feel premium. It does have one problem and that is the fact that the high polish makes it a genuine fingerprint magnet and it is difficult to clean. It needs to be cleaned with a solution that does not leave any marks like the one used for windows otherwise it will still look dirty.
1. iTouchless Deodorizer Automatic Sensor Touchless Trash Can
iTouchless trash can is one of the more advanced models in our list and surprisingly, it is not expensive. As the name of the product states, it is an automatic trash can which means that it has a motion sensor that will lift the lid automatically. The trash can also help keep bad odors inside and prevent them from spreading. Despite being made out of a high shine stainless steel, the trash can does not retain fingerprint marks and smudges. It requires 4 D size batteries to run that will last for one year.
- Large 13-gallon capacity
- Automatic lid and odor filter
- The lid sensor is not very reliable
The sensor used for the lid is not very reliable. It works for some time but some users reported that it can fail after a while and it needs to be replaced. Replacing it covered by warranty but it would have been better if the manufacturers used better sensors for the lid.
Picking A Trash Can Out Of Hundreds
Nobody likes to go through the hassle of returning a product. It takes time to ship it and then even more time to get the money back. This happens when the wrong product is purchased. It can even happen with a simple trash can as surprising as it might seem. There are plenty of things that could not be right about a trash can. Here are some key elements to look for when searching for a new trash can.
- Capacity: Capacity is important: If the trash can is too small for a family, it will need to be emptied several times per day and everyone knows that taking the trash out is not a very pleasant activity: Also it must not be too big as it will take days to fill it and odors might develop.
- Plastic or stainless steel? Stainless steel surely looks pretty but it is not very practical. It can be a fingerprint magnet and it is difficult to clean. Plastic trash cans are much more convenient from this point of view.
- Automatic or manual opening lid: It has become more and more common to fit motion detecting sensors into trash cans so that the lid opens automatically when it senses that someone is around. This also means that they need batteries to run and there are more parts that can break.