Walking is something that comes naturally to all of us. We don’t have to be taught how to walk. We pass through the stages – from sitting to crawling, and from crawling to walking – instinctively.
For all that walking is instinctual, though, we still need some assistance when it comes to being comfortable while we do it. Choose the wrong shoes and you can spend a day in pain and discomfort, ending up with blisters and aching feet.
Choose wisely, and your feet can feel just as good at the end of the day as they did at the beginning.
With that in mind, here are our picks for the top 10 best walking shoes for men in 2017. There’s something for everybody, so you’re sure to find a pair here that will suit you.
What to Look for in Walking Shoes
What should you look for in a pair of walking shoes? The first thing is to consider the shape of your feet. You should pick a shoe that conforms to the shape of your feet. You won’t be comfortable if you expect your feet to conform to shoes that don’t fit them.
Pay attention to overall shape of your foot as well as its width. Most shoes are available in a variety of widths so if you have a wide foot, buy a wide shoe.
Another thing to consider is the height of the shoe as it relates to your toes. If you buy shoes with a cramped to space, it can exacerbate conditions such as corns and bunions.
Here are a few of the features you may want to consider when picking out a pair of walking shoes:
- An Achilles tendon protector locks around your heel and holds it in place, thus reducing the amount of stress it has to absorb.
- The upper of the shoe is the part that encases your foot. It may be made of mesh, leather, or synthetic materials. Mesh is the lightest and most breathable option.
- Insoles are inserts that sit in the bottom of the shoe. They cushion your foot and protect the arches. All shoes have some insole, but adding removable insoles is an option too.
- Air, foam, or gel midsoles protect your feet from the impact of walking.
- A heel color cushions your ankle and ensures that your shoes fit properly.
- The outsole is the part of the shoe that hits the ground. Walking shoes with treads provide protection against slipping and falling.
- The toe box is the part of the upper that provides space for the toes. It’s important to have enough room for your toes to move around to prevent blisters and other injuries.
You should also consider the arch of your feet. A person with normal arches just needs a firm midsole to support the foot. Someone with high arches may need extra cushioning to provide extra support, while a person with low arches or flat feet may want to look for a shoe with a fairly straight midsole and some motion control design features to help to stabilize their feet.
How that you know what to look for in a walking shoe, let’s count down the top 10 best walking shoes for men in 2017.
Best Walking Shoes for Men in 2017
Table of Contents
- 10. Asics Men’s GEL-Tech Walker Neo 4 Walking Shoe
- 9. Rockport Men’s Eureka Walking Shoe
- 8. Skechers Sport Men’s Energy Afterburn Lace-Up Sneaker
- 7. Brooks Men’s Beast ’16
- 6. Skechers Performance Men’s Go Walk 3 Slip-On Walking Shoe
- 5. New Balance Men’s MW840 Health Walking Shoe
- 4. Reebok Men’s DMX Max Select RS Walking Shoe
- 3. Asics Men’s Gel-Quickwalk 2 Walking Shoe
- 2. Rockport Men’s World Tour Classic Walking Shoe
- 1. Skechers Performance Men’s Go Walk 3 Reaction Walking Shoe
10. Asics Men’s GEL-Tech Walker Neo 4 Walking Shoe
Our first pick is the Asics Men’s GEL-Tech Walker Neo 4 Walking Shoe. Here’s what we like about this shoe:
- Made of lightweight mesh and synthetics, these shoes weigh in under 2 ounces, making them a great choice for long distance walking.
- The upper has stretch material placed at strategic locations to reduce stress and discomfort and help the shoe to conform to your foot.
- Gel cushioning at the middle and rear of the foot help protect your feet from the impact of walking on hard surfaces.
Of course, no shoe is perfect, so here are a few of the things you might want to be aware of:
- The upper may be a bit stiff for some people, although breaking the shoe in can help with that.
- If your feet are sensitive to high-friction materials you may want to choose a different pair.
- There is a limited choice of colors (only Black/Silver or White/Royal/Black
This is a reasonably priced shoe that is designed to hold up during long walks.
9. Rockport Men’s Eureka Walking Shoe
Our next choice comes from Rockport, a company that has a great reputation when it comes to making walking shoes for me. Here are the reasons we recommend the Rockport Men’s Eureka Walking Shoe:
- Attractive leather construction combines the style of a casual dress shoe with the comfort of a walking shoe, perfect if you need to be on your feet all day but can’t wear sneakers.
- Flexible insoles, midsoles, and uppers provide a maximum of comfort.
- Heel grip keeps your foot in place and provides support.
- Mesh lining wicks moisture away from your feet.
- Available in a wide range of sizes and widths.
There are a few cons to consider as well:
- The leather upper is stiffer than what you would expect to find in an athletic shoe.
- Leather is not as breathable as mesh, although the mesh lining helps to offset this particular complaint.
- Leather can sometimes stretch and lose its shape over time.
If you need comfortable shoes that will also look good in casual office attire, these shoes are a good choice.
8. Skechers Sport Men’s Energy Afterburn Lace-Up Sneaker
Our next shoe comes from another well-known and well-respected brand: Skechers. The Skechers Sport Men’s Energy Afterburn Lace-Up Sneaker makes the list for comfort and style. Here’s what we like about it:
- The cool leather upper makes this a stylish, but still casual, shoe.
- Cushioned heel provides extra protection for both standing and walking.
- Padded tongue and collar help hold the shoe in place on your foot.
- Excellent traction grips any surface.
- Available in several colors and many sizes/widths.
There are a few cons to keep in mind as you consider this shoe, too:
- This shoe runs a bit small, so it’s best to order a half-size larger than your usual size.
- The shoes weight in at about 3 pounds, so they’re not as light as some of the other choices on our list.
If you want a shoe from a reliable brand, it’s hard to go wrong with Skechers.
7. Brooks Men’s Beast ’16
The Brooks Men’s Beast ’16 is a solid shoe that is good for both running and walking. We like it because it’s an especially good choice for overpronators – people whose feet tend to turn inward while walking. Here are its other features:
- Moisture-managing mesh upper provides protection from the elements while also keeping your feet cool and dry.
- Full-length cushioned insole provides stability and flexibility at the same time.
- Segmented crash pad ensures a stable heel-to-toe transition ever time.
- Lightweight shoes weigh in at just over a pound.
Here are a few potential negatives to keep in mind:
- The manufacturer recommends going a half size up but that doesn’t really seem to be necessary.
- These shoes don’t provide as much cushioning as some of the others on the list.
- The price tag is on the high side.
If you want a shoe that can transition from walking to running and don’t mind the high price tag, then the Best could be the right shoe for you.
6. Skechers Performance Men’s Go Walk 3 Slip-On Walking Shoe
Do you want the comfort of an engineered walking shoe with the ease of a slip-on? We recommend the Skechers Performance Men’s Go Walk 3 Slip-On Walking Shoe. Here’s why:
- Elevated heel (1.5”) provides lift and comfort.
- Memory foam-cushioned heel and vamp give this shoe support.
- GOga mat insert helps keep this shoe comfortable all day long.
- Available in a variety of colors and patterns.
And here are a few potential cons you should know about:
- These shoes run a bit on the large side, so you may want to order a half-size down.
- This newer model is not as breathable as the old Go Walk 2.
The memory foam and GOga mat insert really make this shoe a very comfortable one if you’re going to be on your feet all day.
5. New Balance Men’s MW840 Health Walking Shoe
Coming in at number five on our list is the New Balance Men’s MW840 Health Walking Shoe. There are a lot of reasons to love this shoe, but here are some of the most impressive:
- Impact absorbing ABZORB midsole cushioning provide excellent protection from the impact of walking.
- Shoe is designed with a narrow heel and wide toe for maximum comfort.
- Breathable perforations and mesh collar help to keep your feet from overheating.
Some of the potential downsides of this shoe include:
- It comes only in two colors, black and white.
- The lifted heel may not be for everybody.
- The sole of the shoe is a bit stiff out of the box and may require breaking in to be comfortable.
New Balance is a familiar name with a good reputation, and if you’re looking for a well-designed walking shoe with tons of cushioning, this is a good choice.
4. Reebok Men’s DMX Max Select RS Walking Shoe
Reebok is certainly one of the most respected and reliable names in active footwear, which is why the Reebok Men’s DMX Max Select RS Walking Shoe appears at number four on our list. Here’s what we like about it:
- EVA sock liners add additional comfort for long-distance walking.
- Cushioned and beveled heel is perfect for men who experience heel pain while walking.
- Molded sole provides stability as you walk.
- Available in a wide variety of sizes and widths.
The potential downsides of this shoe include:
- The stiff sole may not work for everybody.
- Fit can vary depending upon the shape of your feet.
- May require added orthotics for maximum comfort.
This is an affordable shoe, making it a good choice if you’re shopping with a budget in mind.
3. Asics Men’s Gel-Quickwalk 2 Walking Shoe
The Asics Men’s Gel-Quickwalk 2 Walking Shoe is our second pic from Asics and one of our overall favorites. Here are the reasons we recommend it:
- Rear foot and forefoot GEL cushioning ensures a smooth heel-to-toe transition with maximum comfort.
- Breathable mesh lining keeps feet cool and dry.
- AHAR (Asics High Abrasion Rubber) is placed at strategic places on the outsole to provide durability.
These shoes are designed to provide comfort for walking, but there are a few potential negatives to consider:
- The shoes run a bit narrow, so if you have wide feet they may not be right for you.
- People who need a lot of arch support may need to add an insert to get it.
The biggest downside of this shoe is that it’s not available in wide widths. It’s very comfortable for people with narrow or average-width feet.
2. Rockport Men’s World Tour Classic Walking Shoe
Our second Rockport shoe on the list of the best men’s walking shoes is the Rockport Men’s World Tour Classic Walking Shoe, which we like for its combination of comfort and style:
- Leather upper makes this shoe suitable for wearing with jeans or khakis.
- EVA footbed and platform provide maximum comfort for all-day walking.
- Flexible sole gives your foot a smooth heel-to-toe transition.
- Available in a total of 10 colors.
Here are a few potential downsides:
- Leather is not as flexible as some other materials.
- The arch support is minimal and you may need to add an insert to provide it.
This shoe combines dress casual style with the comfort of a walking shoe, as is the case with many of Rockport’s products.
1. Skechers Performance Men’s Go Walk 3 Reaction Walking Shoe
Our number one recommend walking shoe for men in 2017 is the Skechers Performance Men’s Go Walk 3 Reaction Walking Shoe. These shoes offer everything you could want in a walking shoe, including:
- Made from a combination of textiles and synthetics, this shoe is very lightweight and breathable.
- Skechers GOga mat insert cushions your feet and keeps them comfortable all day long.
- Two-piece resalyte midsole energizes every step you take.
There aren’t many negatives to this shoe, but here are a couple to consider:
- If you like a lot of cushioning you may want to add an extra insert to get it.
- Available only in regular width, so people with wide feet may not be able to wear these.
If you have average width or narrow feet and want the ultimate in walking shoe comfort, we highly recommend this pair from Skechers.
If you’re on your feet a lot, it’s important to have quality walking shoes to protect your feet. These 10 pairs offer the best technology available to cushion and support your feet, and keep them comfortable throughout the day. We hope you find a pair you like!